Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 12:02 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,try the Colonnades.
There are lots of people from Nyc living in them.

Also,Harrison is not just a tad bit expensive..its 10x expensive.
A one bedroom in Harrison is about $1500 on average.

plus,Harrison does not have the best of public transportation
Harrison has 1 path station and 6 bus lines that run every 15min.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 12:04 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,try the Colonnades.
There are lots of people from Nyc living in them.

Also,Harrison is not just a tad bit expensive..its 10x expensive.
A one bedroom in Harrison is about $1500 on average.

plus,Harrison does not have the best of public transportation

and....

Can I assume (based on your math) that a one bedroom in Newark averages about $150?

Old 08-22-2014, 05:55 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantbc View Post
From what I can see Harrison is just a few minutes away but comes with a significant price jump. Is the potential danger that great? The studio I am looking at is less than $1,000/month including utilities.
I've walked through some of the statistically most dangerous parts of NYC at night and felt perfectly fine. Walked through some of the safer parts of Paterson at night and felt fine. Drove through the worst parts of Paterson at night and felt fine. Drove through some of the middling (maybe bad, I dunno, not the ironbound/northern area/ironbound/financial district kind of southwest of the train station whatever the name for that area is) parts of Newark at night and seriously considered running reds.

The area immediately around the universities is reasonably safe. The area immediately around Prudential (the office building) is reasonably safe. The walk down Market between the train station and NJIT is safe enough during the day. The city as a whole is not -- at least around a decade ago when I was spending time there more often, maybe things have changed in the interim.

Maybe things have gotten better and maybe the building you are looking at is close enough to the nicer parts of the city to be okay, but I'd exercise caution if I were you and would make sure to visit on foot and at night before signing a lease.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:28 AM

6 posts, read 5,467 times
I am in the same boat as you man, looking for a place around the same exact price, how are things working out where you are? Did you move in yet? Are there other apartments available? Do they allow pets? I have no car, haven't had one since 1999 and thank god, such a waste of money if you don't mind using public transportation which I don't.

Give me some feedback if you could, want to move no later than the end of september.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:31 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Theres a few new Downtown Apartments and some in the Ironbound...one is one Ferry and the other on Lincoln. I would act fast as they fill up quickly. The Core of Downtown has seen a lot of investment in recent years mainly from ex-new yorkers... But the investment has not reached the outer areas of Downtown yet...

Old 08-25-2014, 09:18 AM

15 posts, read 16,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
I've walked through some of the statistically most dangerous parts of NYC at night and felt perfectly fine. Walked through some of the safer parts of Paterson at night and felt fine. Drove through the worst parts of Paterson at night and felt fine. Drove through some of the middling (maybe bad, I dunno, not the ironbound/northern area/ironbound/financial district kind of southwest of the train station whatever the name for that area is) parts of Newark at night and seriously considered running reds.

The area immediately around the universities is reasonably safe. The area immediately around Prudential (the office building) is reasonably safe. The walk down Market between the train station and NJIT is safe enough during the day. The city as a whole is not -- at least around a decade ago when I was spending time there more often, maybe things have changed in the interim.

Maybe things have gotten better and maybe the building you are looking at is close enough to the nicer parts of the city to be okay, but I'd exercise caution if I were you and would make sure to visit on foot and at night before signing a lease.
The apartment is only minutes away from Rutgers, the Prudential Center etc…As far as I can see/understand Hallmark House is headed towards the badder parts but still close enough to downtown to be ok. We shall see.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:20 AM

15 posts, read 16,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Campbell View Post
I am in the same boat as you man, looking for a place around the same exact price, how are things working out where you are? Did you move in yet? Are there other apartments available? Do they allow pets? I have no car, haven't had one since 1999 and thank god, such a waste of money if you don't mind using public transportation which I don't.

Give me some feedback if you could, want to move no later than the end of september.
No I haven't moved in yet but I probably will. I've seen it in the evening and, while it's no suburb, it was okay. There are other apartments available and you have to pay an extra fee but pets are allowed. I've Googled some of the other apartments suggested and the reviews were pretty bad. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2014, 02:47 PM

25 posts, read 44,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That area is near the bad parts of Newark and at night it can be dead. There are some New Apartments in the Center of Downtown and some refurbished units in the Ironbound and Harrison north of 280.

hola.

Yep a murder R.I.P. to the young man 30s,early 40s dead. just earlier this year.sad ... I know his killer has still not been caught SMH rip.

Not a great area,or even decent part of newark to reside in at all.Don't do it IF you don't have to. Good luck OP.(originl poster)Sad premise on Newark Hood has so many beautful REALLY nice looking townhouse(s) et;al. and quite beautiful brand new rental(s) houses for sale etc.

The criminal element weekly sure has kept many i know out of newark,new jersey.

Sad situation overall. Just so bad out there.Five Killings in Five days this week smh...
just sad really.

adios

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey