Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:42 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,814,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
What's the imperative lesson to be learned here?

Never volunteer information to the police.
Bingo.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM
46H

1,653 posts, read 1,402,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
She didn't "have" to tell him anything. She volunteered, which unfortunately for her, didn't end well. Not sure what you're talking about in regard to "armor piercing" bullets. I'm assuming you mean hollow-points, which EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE in the US carries in defensive handguns, except in NJ where even if you get a permit, you can't carry them. Have to admit, even good 'ol Massachusetts is a bastion of freedom compared to NJ.

Believe me, I stay out of NJ as much as possible (and my $), but when I do I leave my gun at home to stay out of jail. The 2nd Amendment isn't recognized there...at all.

This article says specifically armor penetrating bullets, not hollow points.
Philly mom faces jailtime due to New Jersey's strict gun laws
Here is the quote:
"Allen was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon and armor penetrating bullets."

Its amazing that you have survived your trips to NJ without your weapon. You are very brave.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:52 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,079,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
She didn't "have" to tell him anything. She volunteered, which unfortunately for her, didn't end well. Not sure what you're talking about in regard to "armor piercing" bullets. I'm assuming you mean hollow-points, which EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE in the US carries in defensive handguns, except in NJ where even if you get a permit, you can't carry them. Have to admit, even good 'ol Massachusetts is a bastion of freedom compared to NJ.

Believe me, I stay out of NJ as much as possible (and my $), but when I do I leave my gun at home to stay out of jail. The 2nd Amendment isn't recognized there...at all.
So you did 2 minutes of googling and figured out that you shouldn't bring a gun or hollow points to the Great State of NJ. The same thing this Shaheen lady could've done. Laws vary by jurisdiction and should not be selectively enforced. Say I wanted to bring my beloved Pineapple Eating Beetles with me on a trip to Hawaii. I have the right to own them. I just have to remember that they may not be welcome everywhere.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:54 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,984,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
What's the imperative lesson to be learned here?

Never volunteer information to the police.
A: Know the law. Especially as a gun-owner.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
This article says specifically armor penetrating bullets, not hollow points.
Philly mom faces jailtime due to New Jersey's strict gun laws
Here is the quote:
"Allen was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon and armor penetrating bullets."

Its amazing that you have survived your trips to NJ without your weapon. You are very brave.
Okay, fair enough. I'd bet the newspaper has that fact wrong, but anyway.

As to your second point, it's not about bravery...not hardly...it's about staying out of jail. With the few carry permits I hold, I'm legal in 38 or 39 states. For the life of me, I can't figure how I (and millions of other people with permits) are such a danger in NJ, NY, etc when we walk around in most states everyday as law-abiding, tax paying citizens and don't commit crimes and are still able exercise our rights. NJ won't even allow 99% of their own residents that right. Frankly, it's sad. I live in Mass., and am in Boston and New Hampshire all the time. And periodically in Florida and always legally carry and...gasp...with jacketed hollow points. I have no fantasies of drawing my firearm, but it's nice to have it, God forbid I ever need it to defend myself or my family.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
So you did 2 minutes of googling and figured out that you shouldn't bring a gun or hollow points to the Great State of NJ. The same thing this Shaheen lady could've done. Laws vary by jurisdiction and should not be selectively enforced. Say I wanted to bring my beloved Pineapple Eating Beetles with me on a trip to Hawaii. I have the right to own them. I just have to remember that they may not be welcome everywhere.
Hmmm....you seem to not be familiar with a famous document called the US Constitution.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:59 PM

191 posts, read 394,523 times
This woman shouldve known before bringing her gun anywhere that what is allowed in pa under the statues of her carry permit are null and void in a different state when she applied for the permit and had to read the do's and dont's and sign before recieving carriers permit.Beyond that it is common knowledge that pa's judicial system follows the commonwealth laws which follows a completly different system than. New jersey and makea the difference in penal systems between the two states night and day.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:22 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Did she take a training class? Did the instructor advise the class that a PA CCP is not valid in most states bordering PA, including NY & NJ?

Old 09-17-2014, 01:28 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,112,647 times
The woman is an idiot who has no reasonable excuse for not knowing better, NJ/NYC gun laws are quite in(famous), it's not some minor detail easily missed.

The law and the application of it are absurd, as is the case with most NJ gun laws.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:09 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,983,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Did she take a training class? Did the instructor advise the class that a PA CCP is not valid in most states bordering PA, including NY & NJ?
Probably not, because it's not required. To obtain a PA License to Carry a Firearm (LTCF) you need only be age 21 or over, with no criminal record, and having no mental or physical disability which would prevent you from operating a firearm safely. Still, one has a duty to inform oneself of the laws governing carry of a firearm. Also, the Sheriff's office where she applied probably sent her a letter with some some of the basic rules and regulations along with her license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey