Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:29 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,744,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Ok, I've got my answer. You people support her prosecution and unjust laws. Good for you...you deserve your oppressive gov't! Call me a troll if you like, but your state sucks and I will continue to avoid it as much as possible.

/thread
Yes exactly!

Why in the hell would anyone want to stay in NJ, with not only its blatant disregard for its residents 2nd amendment rights, but also the highest taxes, corruption, and COL in the entire nation

And this is coming from a CT resident----not exactly a bright red, right wing state!!

We'll see how the people of NJ vote in the state elections this November. If the majority of the incumbents get reelected (the cancer to start with), then I will have NO sympathy as they'll continue to have the government that they deserve.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:48 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,984,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Yes exactly!

Why in the hell would anyone want to stay in NJ, with not only its blatant disregard for its residents 2nd amendment rights, but also the highest taxes, corruption, and COL in the entire nation

And this is coming from a CT resident----not exactly a bright red, right wing state!!

We'll see how the people of NJ vote in the state elections this November. If the majority of the incumbents get reelected (the cancer to start with), then I will have NO sympathy as they'll continue to have the government that they deserve.

Hey, remember when the Patriots came thisclose to playing in CT?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:00 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,843 times
[quote=Badfish740;36519677]As a supporter of the right to carry, no, but at the same time, ignorance of the law should never be a valid excuse for breaking it either. Comparing it to the Ray Rice case is a non sequitur IMO, judges are bound by certain guidelines that allow for the avoidance of jail time for certain crimes, and unfortunately in this case, I don't believe it was available. You can argue (as I would) that its wrong, but that's a question for the legislature as they are the ones who make the laws that tie the judges' hands as far as the amount of leeway they are given in cases such as these.

There is a big issue in this case that I am not sure has been addressed. Mays Landing, NJ Prosecutor & Judge allowed Rice into their PTI-Pre-Trial Intervention Program, but the same Prosecutor & Judge denied the woman from Pa. NJ's Law for PTI is for Non-violent crimes. Rice should never been accepted & the woman should have. The NRA is now involved, & it is going to get messy.

I agree about leaving the gun at home when entering NJ. Mine stays home in NC while visiting in NJ.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:13 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,983,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
NJ's Law for PTI is for Non-violent crimes. Rice should never been accepted & the woman should have.
Sorry, but it's just not that cut and dry. From the NJ Judiciary Website:

Pre Trial Intervention Program (PTI)

Quote:
Who is Eligible for Pretrial Intervention (PTI)?

Any defendant who is charged with an indictable offense may apply.

*Admission guidelines stated in the Court Rules set the following criteria:

Age - PTI is designed for adults.

Residence - PTI is designed for New Jersey residents, but others may apply.

Jurisdiction - Only defendants charged with criminal or penal offenses in New Jersey criminal or municipal courts.

Minor Violations - Not eligible if the likely result would be a suspended sentence without probation or a fine.

Prior Record of Convictions - PTI generally excludes defendants who have been previously convicted.

Parolees and Probationers - Generally excluded without prosecutor's consent and considered only after consultation with parole and probation departments.

Defendants Previously Diverted - excludes defendants who have previously been granted a diversionary program or conditional discharge.
There is a lot of discretion left to the courts. There is nothing there that says violent offenders are excluded from PTI. My guess is that Mr. Rice has much deeper pockets than Ms. Allen, and as a result, has much better lawyers. Not saying that's right, but rather, that's just the way it is. Hopefully the attention and funding her case is attracting will help her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I agree about leaving the gun at home when entering NJ. Mine stays home in NC while visiting in NJ.
That's just common sense when entering ANY state which does not honor your carry permit. Unfortunately, common sense is not all that common. The interesting aspect of this case for me is the strange bedfellows it is creating. It's not often that you see the NRA/gun rights advocates in general rally around an African-American female.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:31 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Quote:
you deserve your oppressive gov't! Call me a troll if you like, but your state sucks
Someone's got anger issues! And, a carry permit!

Old 09-17-2014, 01:33 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,526,808 times
Should be thrown out of court -- my 2 cents.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:53 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,744,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Hey, remember when the Patriots came thisclose to playing in CT?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Yea.........

And this has WHAT to do with the price of tea in China??

Old 09-17-2014, 03:08 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,984,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Yea.........

And this has WHAT to do with the price of tea in China??
just strolling down memory lane of when CT was almost relevant for a day.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:17 PM

41 posts, read 71,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
She will probably get off light.

Remember they guy who kicked in the door in Summit and beat the living sh*t out of that housewife in front of her kids?

He had 12 prior felonies and was out and about plying his trade so Ms. Allen shouldn't have too much to worry about.
I believe that actually was in Millburn near the park on Glen Ave and Cypress St. Coincidentally only a few blocks from my old house in Maplewood. It was a real shocker because I personally never felt unsafe growing up in that neighborhood.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:18 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,079,510 times
Quote:
Hmmm....you seem to not be familiar with a famous document called the US Constitution.
Reasonable restrictions are common everywhere. NJ just happens to have more of them. Leave the stupid gun at home. And lock it up at home so the kids don't shoot each other. That's a far more common occurrence than taking out an intruder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey