Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:21 AM

37 posts, read 342,634 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see this month's issue of NJ Monthly magazine? The front cover article is on the Best Downtowns in NJ, which I thought would be of interest to some on this forum (given that there have been a few discussions on this topic recently). The magazine highlights the following as having the best downtowns:

Cape May
Collingswood
Englewood
Haddonfield
Hoboken
Maplewood
Millville
Montclair
New Brunswick
Princeton
Red Bank
Ridgewood
Stone Harbor
Summit
Westfield

You can access the article here: http://njmonthly.com/issues/2007/04-Apr/coverstory/bestdowntowns.html (broken link)

So, what do you think? Would you agree? I don't know all of these towns, but of those I do (Hoboken, Maplewood, Summit, and Westfield), I'd give a thumbs up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 11:26 AM

359 posts, read 2,593,618 times
im surprised Jersey City or Newark isnt on there. Englewood doesnt deserve to be on there.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:28 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,932,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily31 View Post
Did anyone see this month's issue of NJ Monthly magazine? The front cover article is on the Best Downtowns in NJ, which I thought would be of interest to some on this forum (given that there have been a few discussions on this topic recently). The magazine highlights the following as having the best downtowns:

Cape May
Collingswood
Englewood
Haddonfield
Hoboken
Maplewood
Millville
Montclair
New Brunswick
Princeton
Red Bank
Ridgewood
Stone Harbor
Summit
Westfield

You can access the article here: http://njmonthly.com/issues/2007/04-Apr/coverstory/bestdowntowns.html (broken link)

So, what do you think? Would you agree? I don't know all of these towns, but of those I do (Hoboken, Maplewood, Summit, and Westfield), I'd give a thumbs up!
Definitely Ridgewood! Two thumbs up!!

Old 04-02-2007, 01:35 PM

49 posts, read 196,951 times
Default What About Eatontown?

How come Eatontown isn't on the list? They have Gab and Eat or whatever its called now. There's the Chinese haircut place and Flo's Happy Clipper just to name a few places in town. I forgot about the refurbished Dentist's office.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:44 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,372,524 times
No Madison or Morristown? Thats surprising.

I dont' know whether Newark really has a real downtown. Once nighttime rolls around and work gets out, downtown Newark is completely dead. Ferry St in the Ironbound is lively at all hours though.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:56 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,318,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Texan View Post
How come Eatontown isn't on the list? They have Gab and Eat or whatever its called now. There's the Chinese haircut place and Flo's Happy Clipper just to name a few places in town. I forgot about the refurbished Dentist's office.
LOL!

Most of the towns on this list are great places, though I'm less familiar with some of the South Jersey locations. I'm surprised Morristown isn't on the list.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:39 PM

36 posts, read 176,440 times
Default Stone Harbor vs. Millville

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
LOL!

Most of the towns on this list are great places, though I'm less familiar with some of the South Jersey locations. I'm surprised Morristown isn't on the list.
Stone Harbor has a great downtown shopping area. It is a great town. But Millville? Is there another Millville that I don't know about? I have never heard Stone Harbor and Millville mentioned in the same conversation.
Doug

Old 04-02-2007, 03:20 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post

I dont' know whether Newark really has a real downtown. Once nighttime rolls around and work gets out, downtown Newark is completely dead. Ferry St in the Ironbound is lively at all hours though.
Lol you ever seen Maplewood village at night? Newark is SOOOOO not dead around the campuses, but I guess that would only be for students and everyone may not know...

Old 04-02-2007, 08:12 PM

47 posts, read 207,048 times
Thanks for posting this. I'd put Morristown and Summit on the list too.
One of the secrets of NJ is how many good, safe, vibrant downtowns we have.

I've traveled to lots of other states and they sure can't compare with sheer number of old-fashioned, lively downtowns-with-a-Main Street-that we often take for granted in NJ.

Try asking this question on your travels: "So..where's Main Street?" If they send me to a strip mall, big mall or just seem confused you'll realize how unique parts of our state can be.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:48 AM

37 posts, read 342,634 times
I was surprised about Madison being left off, too! (haven't been to Morristown). Not sure how the magazine made its decision...will have to look at the article again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey