Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 11:00 AM

607 posts, read 958,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
or if you're Chris Christie, until they pass 2 tests.
One guy who agrees with Christie - a Nobel Prize winner:

Christie's Ebola quarantine, attacked by CDC, ACLU & UN, now embraced by Nobel Prize-winning doctor | NJ.com

Quote:
TRENTON — After days of blistering criticism from ACLU, the CDC and even the United Nations secretary general over Gov. Chris Christie’s new, 21 day mandatory quarantine policy for all healthcare workers exposed to Ebola, the New Jersey governor has gotten a much-needed vote of support from a heavyweight name in the medical community: the Nobel Prize-winning doctor and medical researcher, Dr. Bruce Beutler.

Dr. Beutler, an American medical doctor and researcher, won the Nobel Prize for Medicine and Physiology in 2011 for his work researching the cellular subsystem of the body’s overall immune system – the part of it that defends bodies from infection by other organisms, like Ebola.

He is currently the Director of the Center for the Genetics of Host Defense at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas – the first U.S. city to treat an Ebola patient and also the first to watch one die from the virus. In an exclusive interview with NJ Advance Media, Beutler reviewed Christie’s new policy of mandatory quarantine for all health care workers exposed to Ebola, and declared: “I favor it.”
Hopefully - sooner rather than later - there will be some real consensus as to deal with this issue; but now with one US Congressman saying there is "increasing evidence" that the administration is planning to bring non-Americans with Ebola to the US for treatment...

my guess is any real consensus will come after November 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 11:26 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
is there a negative to preventing people from the affected countries that arent american citizens from entering? or is it just not necessary?
the negative to that is that people will still travel, but become harder to track. allowing travel but tracking means we know who's going where. is it 100% risk free? no. nothing is. but neither is a travel ban, and the experts say they'd rather not push people to underground travel where they are less likely to be tracked from start point to end point.

as an auditor, that sounds completely logical to me.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
if there are no negatives, then why not do it? its clear americans want the travel ban, at least for non-americans. then we test americans before re-entering (hold them if holding is necessary). if stopping the travel "wont do much" to protect us, so what? it may do a little and it may not. if there are no negatives, then do it.

there is more to this reasoning than we are being told.
testing is not a travel ban. i don't think anyone is opposed to the screening that's being done to travellers entering the country.

i haven't followed polling, but is it "clear" americans want a travel ban? clear based on what?

Old 10-28-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
One guy who agrees with Christie - a Nobel Prize winner:

Christie's Ebola quarantine, attacked by CDC, ACLU & UN, now embraced by Nobel Prize-winning doctor | NJ.com

Hopefully - sooner rather than later - there will be some real consensus as to deal with this issue; but now with one US Congressman saying there is "increasing evidence" that the administration is planning to bring non-Americans with Ebola to the US for treatment...

my guess is any real consensus will come after November 4
that's great. so one doctor has spoken in support of Christie's actions. yet, hundreds of others are opposed.

i don't really care what "one US Congressman" who's campaiging throws out there about Obama conspiracy theories.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
testing is not a travel ban. i don't think anyone is opposed to the screening that's being done to travellers entering the country.

i haven't followed polling, but is it "clear" americans want a travel ban? clear based on what?
i believe i just read an article saying 75% of responders wanted a travel ban. considering the guy in dallas and the nyc doctor brought ebola from one of the affected countries, i think people are linking travel from those countries and bringing in ebola. im not sure what kind of underground travel options are available but if these people are infected, the harder you make it for them the less likely they will have time to figure out how to beat the system.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:42 PM

607 posts, read 958,529 times
Quote:
that's great. so one doctor has spoken in support of Christie's actions. yet, hundreds of others are opposed.
I haven't seen "hundreds" - but it goes back to my point that hopefully some sort of real consensus can be reached on a standard treatment

Quote:
i don't really care what "one US Congressman" who's campaiging throws out there about Obama conspiracy theories.
Neither do I

My point is that this is just the most recent football to be tossed around Washington, and this 'breaking story' coming just 9 days before an election - with no actual proof - makes it more a political talking point than a medical emergency

Old 10-28-2014, 12:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
what do you think about the story thats out there regarding obama wanting to treat non-americans here?

Old 10-28-2014, 01:21 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
what do you think about the story thats out there regarding obama wanting to treat non-americans here?
If that's true, then I've really seen it all. I cannot fathom the logic behind that and thinking that is somehow a good idea.

Who would pay for transport and medical care? Who would pay for transport back to their home country (IF they are sent home... with this country, you never know )? How many doctors and nurses will walk out, unwilling to treat patients who aren't even American and should absolutely not be brought here under any circumstances if infected with ebola?

It is NOT our job to treat people here unless they are citizens or already here. Bringing non-Americans here to treat them is a terrible idea. I don't think this administration understands the idea of "containment."

If this is true, I literally cannot fathom it. I can't express words properly over how I feel about it, actually.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Australia just banned travel from Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Liberia.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:48 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,963,719 times
The flu = 49,000 dead per year in America. Per year. Ebola = 1 dead in America.
The 24 hour news cycle needs to talk about something. They need to excite you into watching somehow. The fear of the unknown. You accept that flu stat & it does not scare you because you are familiar with it. Ebola however........... RUNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey