Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:15 AM

37 posts, read 169,858 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Randolph. I have three kids in school- two will be in High school next year and one in elementary school. I am looking to move to either Mt Olive twp, Succassana ( Roxbury) or Long Valley. I cannot afford anything bigger in Randolph thus the move to another town.

Randolph schools are "okay" but not all they were acclaimed to be when we first moved here 14 years ago. The town also has changed and become very affluent. My husband and I live on about $110,000/year right now. If I could fine full time work in my field, It may go up. Anyway, I am concerned about the school district we will be moving to. Does anyone have any experience with these schools?

Thanks
Monica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 09:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Monica,

My opinion, in order:

Long Valley
Roxbury
Mt. Olive

Bonus is you'll get more house for the $$$ in LV and the taxes are generally lower. I moved out of Mt Olive b/c of the schools - although I want to be clear that we're not talking Newark type schools, but to me, the schools in MO should be MUCH better considering the taxes residents pay.

Any other ??, let me know!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:36 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Long Valley blows the other two choices away. Much better choice in terms of schools and what you get for your money. From what I have read and observed, I think Long Valley has a better school system that Randolph these days (10 years ago this wouldn't have been true).

Old 01-05-2008, 11:37 AM

213 posts, read 784,007 times
go to NJ school report cards here: NJDOE Professional Development and Technical Assistance
also Toll Brothers is building town and single fams in Mt Olive.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:08 PM

37 posts, read 169,858 times
Thanks

Taxes in MO are killer! I like LV but that is the another 20 minutes west . I am spoiled right now, I work 12 minutes away and so does my husband. WE would love to find something by the lake ( Lake Hopatcong).

Old 01-06-2008, 04:13 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammagirl View Post
Thanks

Taxes in MO are killer! I like LV but that is the another 20 minutes west . I am spoiled right now, I work 12 minutes away and so does my husband. WE would love to find something by the lake ( Lake Hopatcong).
I would commit murder to have a 32 minute commute, LOL. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:55 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Default Go farther west

If you are stuck on those towns, Longvalley has the best schools out of the ones you mentioned... downside is..snobby upper middle class spoiled rotton kids : )) Try looking a little further west as you will find great homes for less money and good school systems. I live in Frelinghuysen Twp. - best kept secret in the world! You'll get alot of house with alot of property and low taxes considering what you get... our elementary school is rated as one of the best! We spend more than the State average and teacher to student ratio is about 12 to 1... worth looking into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammagirl View Post
I currently live in Randolph. I have three kids in school- two will be in High school next year and one in elementary school. I am looking to move to either Mt Olive twp, Succassana ( Roxbury) or Long Valley. I cannot afford anything bigger in Randolph thus the move to another town.

Randolph schools are "okay" but not all they were acclaimed to be when we first moved here 14 years ago. The town also has changed and become very affluent. My husband and I live on about $110,000/year right now. If I could fine full time work in my field, It may go up. Anyway, I am concerned about the school district we will be moving to. Does anyone have any experience with these schools?

Thanks
Monica

Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I would commit murder to have a 32 minute commute, LOL. Good luck!

No, kidding...load up the gun!!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:36 PM

230 posts, read 666,557 times
Angry Loose the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
If you are stuck on those towns, Longvalley has the best schools out of the ones you mentioned... downside is..snobby upper middle class spoiled rotton kids : )) Try looking a little further west as you will find great homes for less money and good school systems. I live in Frelinghuysen Twp. - best kept secret in the world! You'll get alot of house with alot of property and low taxes considering what you get... our elementary school is rated as one of the best! We spend more than the State average and teacher to student ratio is about 12 to 1... worth looking into.
I would rather my child put up with "so-called snobby upper middle class spoiled rotton kids", then to be living in an area with less desirable kids who I guess are the " violent, less intelligent, down to earth , little hoodlems"! Viva la difference and try loosing your hatred of those who may have more wealth than you. I think it's very ignorant on your part and just plain mean, to assume just because a person may have more money, that makes them "spoiled and bratty".

Old 01-31-2008, 01:49 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Default Sorry Baskingridge mom

Sorry..that was a bit out of line regarding Longvalley kids... ... please except my apology : )).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey