Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 02:17 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,160,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyself View Post
im amazed that they can afford nj!

but being that nj is one of the most racially and ethnically diverse places in the world, i love the new cultures immigration brings to our state. it's the diversity that keeps me here.
I used to be a chef in Northern NJ and some of our dishwashers, busboys and prep guys live in towns like Ridgewood, Glen Rock and Waldwick but in all cases, they split rent with 5+ guys.

One kid from Costa Rica told me about how he paid some guys in Costa Rica to smuggle them through Arizona. He almost died of thirst but luckily found a horse trough that had water in it but covered with algae/green film with mosquito and fly larvae but he didnt care. He somehow survived & worked his a$$ off as a dishwasher then as a prep guy and is now a chef himself. I get that they don't pay taxes and it's wrong. Having said that, I still have a soft spot for immigrants that risk their lives in some cases to do right by their family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 11:04 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,723,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I guess I didn't make my point clear.

I'm well aware of what the Irish went through. And in spite of the hardships, discrimination and lack of handouts they they not only made it, they ended up running cities and occupying the White House in 1964.
I didn't know Lyndon Johnson was Irish!!! Learn something new every day!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:21 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,223,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
BS on the lower wages part. I was a NJ contractor for 30 years and never hired an immigrant worker and in the end I was forced to close up because I could not compete with those competitors hiring immigrants.

At the time (80-90's) Americans were costing me $30 hr in wages and benefits and immigrants were costing $10 hr or less to my competitors.(no benefits)

Do the math.

Yes on the immigrants being good workers but I am a buy American, use American labor type of guy.

IMO 90% of today's construction co's are using immigrants and illegals because they are cheaper but those workers cannot live a middle class lifestyle on the poor wages they are getting.

All my employees enjoyed a middle class lifestyle which my competitors employees did not.
It is not your obligation to give your employees a middle class lifestyle.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:33 PM

19,154 posts, read 25,385,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I didn't know Lyndon Johnson was Irish!!! Learn something new every day!
Yeah, his grandfather changed the family name from Mc Johnson to just...Johnson.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:42 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,195,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
You're kind of thinking is what's wrong with this country- no morals. Sad.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:52 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,431,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's interesting but some of the conclusions the article draws are pretty dumb for anyone who lives here or reads this forum

"Experts say is the beginning of a contraction of the suburban sprawl that has dominated the state's population growth more than half a century." O RLY? Where do they think all those immigrants headed into Middlesex County are going? If Edison isn't "suburban sprawl", what is it? And of course there's plenty of infill, gut renovation/rebuilding, and new suburban construction.

"The perimeter is starting to contract and this is really a counter to a 65-year trend," -- yeah, I'll just have to have a good belly laugh at this one.
Middlesex county is quite close to the metropolitan center (nyc)

Old 04-06-2015, 03:46 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,409,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
It was my obligation to give skilled workers the pay they earned. Some of my competitors were not concerned with employing skilled workers and their quality of work showed.

This is just one of the reasons so many people complain about the quality of services they paid for but did not ge

Cheap labor is OK for non skilled help but I never used non skilled workers.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:04 PM

526 posts, read 2,070,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've seen several NJ towns transforming into small ethnic hubs. In the long run it means more and more immigrants will be flocking over to these areas like Elizabeth which has a large Hispanic community.
And that's a good thing? Elizabeth was a nice town once. Now it's a dump. The same thing is happening to New Jersey as a whole. The state is in decline and this a big reason why. Losing more affluent residents to a poorer population is never a good thing.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
And that's a good thing? Elizabeth was a nice town once. Now it's a dump. The same thing is happening to New Jersey as a whole. The state is in decline and this a big reason why. Losing more affluent residents to a poorer population is never a good thing.
An unpopular and un-PC opinion but I agree.

I don't want an influx of unskilled, poor Hispanic (or any other though it is overwhelmingly the Hispanics coming into the US as a whole) laborers.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:19 AM

188 posts, read 279,196 times
The newcomers obviously haven't gotten NJ property tax bills yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey