Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,116 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Can someone please recommend a good psychologist or a psychiatrist or therapist in NJ? Central NJ.
I've never been to a therapist before and for me to finally decide to go see one is a huge deal. I haven't been able to fall asleep like a normal person in 8 months or so and it's starting to really take a toll. I miss sleep.
I'm worried about a therapist being judgmental, so a nice warm sympathetic older lady would be perfect.
Well at this point, I'll take any recommendation.

Would really appreciate some help.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 10:01 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Have you had a check-up with your family doctor or internist recently? Lots of things can interfere with sleep that are not emotional. Lots of meds can do that, even some antibiotics can interfere with normal sleep patterns.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:40 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
Dr. Boris M. Borodulin, MD - East Brunswick, NJ - Psychiatry | Healthgrades.com

I actually drive an hour to see this guy, I think we have to start inviting him to family gatherings, I mean it's been many many years, once a quarter drive south to have my head examined. This is a good medical doctor and not a therapist, you don't lay on on couch talking about your mother for an hour. He is about brain chemistry, you can't sleep is a symptom, he will check for additional symptoms and then diagnose you, Then he will give you medicine to treat you. He does not keep you there for an hour asking stupid questions. Chases are you will speak to him for 15 min (just having a general conversation you would have with your neighbor), and then he will give you a prescription.

Many years ago I could not sleep, work related anxiety. Had I told him about it he would have prescribed anxiety medication, but I simply switched careers....

As far as problems sleeping, marijuana is the best medicine for that, far better then sleeping pills., those are addictive and have nasty side effects.

When I was having problems, I did not want to see a doctor at first, but teh visit took 15 minutes and I felt better on my way back home. (He gave me a pill right there in his office and I immediately felt better.)

Old 05-18-2015, 07:28 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango08873 View Post
Hello everyone,

Can someone please recommend a good psychologist or a psychiatrist or therapist in NJ? Central NJ.
I've never been to a therapist before and for me to finally decide to go see one is a huge deal. I haven't been able to fall asleep like a normal person in 8 months or so and it's starting to really take a toll. I miss sleep.
I'm worried about a therapist being judgmental, so a nice warm sympathetic older lady would be perfect.
Well at this point, I'll take any recommendation.

Would really appreciate some help.

Thank you in advance!
So sorry to hear about this. I would google search for a therapist and see if you can find one with good reviews. I have insomnia on and off. Insomnia that is long-term (not a couple of nights) is a symptom of something else. Could be anxiety, depression, underlying unresolved issue that recently bubbled-up. Insomnia in general is not the problem. Something stirred it up. A Psychologist will help you find out what is causing the problem and help you develop better coping mechanisms. A Psychiatrist will prescribe you medicine. Mostly likely an SSRI (Prozac, Lexapro, etc.). Sleeping pills or Benzos do not cure insomnia. They only treat it short-term. I would start with your primary care and see if they can refer you to a therapist.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 3,116 times
Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.

I have been to a primary care physician and I am perfectly healthy. I know why the insomnia started, but i though with time it will go away and the issue will resolve. However, it still hasn't. That's why I'm thinking it's time to talk to someone. I'm not necessarily looking to get medicated, just for a peace of mind. No one around me knows any of it, so I can't really talk to anyone about it. Plus, my surroundings stick to the "suck it up and deal with it" policy. Mostly, so do I, but obviously it's not working.

Therapist is my next step. I have googled up and down, but can't seem to find one with good reviews.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:00 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango08873 View Post
Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.

I have been to a primary care physician and I am perfectly healthy. I know why the insomnia started, but i though with time it will go away and the issue will resolve. However, it still hasn't. That's why I'm thinking it's time to talk to someone. I'm not necessarily looking to get medicated, just for a peace of mind. No one around me knows any of it, so I can't really talk to anyone about it. Plus, my surroundings stick to the "suck it up and deal with it" policy. Mostly, so do I, but obviously it's not working.

Therapist is my next step. I have googled up and down, but can't seem to find one with good reviews.
Ask your primary for a referral. Since you want to try to go without medicine (I don't blame you) try to find a CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapist). If you know what triggered it I think that is great news because you can work at addressing that trigger. Another important thing....when insomnia starts people begin to compensate by drinking coffee or napping. This starts a vicious cycle. You MUST commit to good sleep hygiene so you have a chance of getting back into a natural sleep routine. I went through a terrible bout of insomnia in my past. It lasted about a year. It was awful so I feel for you. I know more than I ever wanted to know about insomnia. My main point here is that sleep will return. You need to believe that and trust that you body knows what to do. Don't go down the rabbit hole and start thinking I will never sleep again. That kicks up your anxiety and it becomes a self-fulling prophecy. You WILL sleep again. And always be grateful for whatever sleep you get. Sometimes it might be only two hours. Don't get mad. Be grateful. The more you accept this condition the quicker it will run its course. I fought against it in the beginning and that made it worse. Once I surrendered to the situation, I began to calm down and my sleep slowly (unfortunately for me it was two steps forward and one step backwards) returned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey