Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 AM

7 posts, read 11,000 times

Advertisements

I recently got my associates from a technical college in Charleston, SC. I have decided that I want a change of scenery and want to move to NJ. I will be moving in August. I have applied to Rutgers University and if I don't get accepted I am more than willing to go into another community college until they do accept me. My questions are:

What area to look for that is close to Rutgers Newark or New Brunswick?

What price range I should expect for any apartments?

What will approximately be the travel time to NYC?

I have done some research, but I still feel quite unprepared. Any input greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 11:22 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,790 times
For the nicer apartments you can expect to pay $1000/mo. Check out South Brunswick, East Brunswick, Old Bridge - travel time to NYC from these areas will be about 45 mins without traffic issues.

Interesting - I've lived in NJ my whole life - we're probably moving to SC next year!

Welcome to the Garden State

Old 01-22-2008, 12:12 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Wow, a lot of people in NJ are dying to move to NC!! Rutgers is a good college in a fun college town - just watch out for some sections of town - they pushed all the poor people out to make room for the "revitalization".
Highland Park is a nice place to live - right over the bridge -
If you dont get into Rutgers you can go to Middlesex County College - then you can live in Edison which has affordable aparments.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Wow, a lot of people in NJ are dying to move to NC!! Rutgers is a good college in a fun college town - just watch out for some sections of town - they pushed all the poor people out to make room for the "revitalization".
Highland Park is a nice place to live - right over the bridge -
If you dont get into Rutgers you can go to Middlesex County College - then you can live in Edison which has affordable aparments.

Thanks for the suggestions! Greatly appreciated!!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
For the nicer apartments you can expect to pay $1000/mo. Check out South Brunswick, East Brunswick, Old Bridge - travel time to NYC from these areas will be about 45 mins without traffic issues.

Interesting - I've lived in NJ my whole life - we're probably moving to SC next year!

Welcome to the Garden State
Thanks! I hope you enjoy SC better than I did!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:29 PM

53 posts, read 224,849 times
New Brunswick is the hometown of Rutgers. The town has gone through such a 'revitalization', that I's imagine the rent to be higher now. Highland Park IS nice. You might like it, coming from SC. It's has a nice, neighborhood feel, where as New Brunswick is a bit more grimey & urban. Middlesex Community college is a good community college, I believe. Good luck in getting into Rutgers... it's a BIG school. Did you get to tour the school? Wait until you get on the buses between campuses

Old 01-31-2008, 06:42 AM

11 posts, read 36,341 times
There are a number of places around Rutgers that are solid residential and comfortable places to stay. New Brunswick is also right on the train line, so you can live south along the line and easily commute to campus. Also using rail, you have easy access to NYC (about 1/2 hour).

Rutgers is a fine school, but why are you focused on going there? ....particular major? As with taxes and general cost of living, Rutgers tuition is high for a public school (I believe NJ public colleges have the highest tuition in the nation). For that reason, I did my undergrad in SC (Clemson) and paid less than it would have cost to go to RU.

Of all the places to escape SC, why NJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey