Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marltonguy View Post
I think Wegmans was a big factor for Ahold to pull it's Stop&Shop division out of South Jersey. Wegmans was open for a short time in Mt. Laurel where Ahold had 2 stores, and in CH, where there is overlap with one, and Ahold panicked upon Wegmans entry, and felt selling to Wakefern/ShopRite made the most sense. On hindsight, even if those SuperG stores were converted to Giant by banner name, it would be the same result with them eventually pulling out because of the Wegmans factor.

Because of union issues, Ahold can't even convert the Delaware Giant(s) from Landover to the more profitable Carlisle division, even as Northern and Central Delaware falls in the Philly TV market where Giant-Carlisle advertises. Unless it wants unionization in Giant-Carlisle, which it clearly does not want. It wants to keep that division separate from Giant-Landover/Stop&Shop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant-Carlisle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_%...Giant-Landover
Wegmans had not opened in Cherry Hill when Super G failed. That's not much of an argument because Giant of Landover coexists with Wegmans. Giant of Carlisle has the Martins banner in Richmond & Wegmans is going in there.

The only part of that potential merger that could have an effect in NJ is if Ahold would bring Hannaford down as they did with Stop & Shop.

More than likely, now that A&P is down to a core of stores, Kroger will probably be looking to grab those & expand south to meet up with their other stores that come up as far as Delaware, under the Harris Teeter banner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 01:32 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Wegmans had not opened in Cherry Hill when Super G failed. That's not much of an argument because Giant of Landover coexists with Wegmans. Giant of Carlisle has the Martins banner in Richmond & Wegmans is going in there.

The only part of that potential merger that could have an effect in NJ is if Ahold would bring Hannaford down as they did with Stop & Shop.

More than likely, now that A&P is down to a core of stores, Kroger will probably be looking to grab those & expand south to meet up with their other stores that come up as far as Delaware, under the Harris Teeter banner.

Yesterday, I found a post that I think was somewhere on City-Data discussing why Kroger won't come to NJ - because they're terrified of Wakefern/Shop-Rite. The post mentioned something about Kroger thinking Wakefern was a "mob-like" organization, which made me smile a little.

Of course, despite my best search efforts, I can't find the post now. Is there any truth to this or does anyone have any more info about why Kroger hasn't come to NJ yet? Not that I'm desperate to have them come here either, as they seem to be a whole lot like a Midwestern pre-apocalyptic version of A&P, but I'm curious about the story.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:41 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the A&P by me in Holmdel never stood a chance once shoprite opened in hazlet. there are shoprite locations a couple of miles away in both directions on 35 (middletown & hazlet). that shoprite is a real killer. the one in hazlet opened up in a failed food town location. the food town was always empty, now that there is a shoprite in the same spot (plus they took over another store that was next to it) the place is packed. if another supermarket takes over the holmdel A&P location, they are going to have a tough time.

is the pathmark in hazlet closing? thats another one whose days are numbered.
I was surprised to see that Holmdel A&P on the list - that one is probably one of the nicest in the state.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:41 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marltonguy View Post
And atleast it would use existing space that would be cleaned up greatly. There is a former Pathmark in Cherry Hill NJ that I feel would be great as something new. But Wal-Mart's wages have been considered to be low that it would still create dissatisfaction (maybe even store picketing intially?) by some. Bottom Dollar Food was picketed when it opened.

And my feeling is Wal-Mart might still prefer pushing the Super Wal-Mart concept more heavily atleast in NJ, because it's Wal-Mart. It still wants to build a Super Wal-Mart store in Mt.Laurel by the busy Turnpike/I-295 intersection, despite opposition.

They'll be obstinate in doing whatever they want to do, and slow to adapt. It might figure those that are buying something they'd go to Wal-Mart for anyways, will stop over to the food section.
It is possible Walmart can provide good compensated jobs through its stores if they are successfully operated. In areas where Walmart Supercenter stores are too large, Walmart will shift toward Neighborhood Market stores. If smaller stores are warranted, smaller Neighborhood Market stores, formerly Walmart Express, would be doable.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:44 PM

122 posts, read 176,747 times
Quote:

Wegmans opens in 2006:
Supermarket supersized The gigantic new Wegmans in Cherry Hill leaves shoppers dazzled - or dazed - and competitors ringing up their own changes. A mammoth new market in Cherry Hill - philly-archives

Stop&Shop closes in 2007:
Retailer co-op to buy Stop & Shops Nine of the 10 stores are in South Jersey. Wakefern Food co-op operates 200 ShopRites in five states. - philly-archives

Giant-Landover has a huge cluster of stores in Maryland and DC. What it had in South Jersey wasn't the critical mass it wanted. It might have been a good deal with Wakefern to leave the SJ region, but my point was Wegmans most likely induced the pull out.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
As to the Ahold/Delhaize merger, that probably won't have a significant effect on anyone north of the Richmond, unless they decide to move the Hannaford banner south into the MidAtlantic.
I do not see the Hannaford banner leaving the northeastern United States again.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Yesterday, I found a post that I think was somewhere on City-Data discussing why Kroger won't come to NJ - because they're terrified of Wakefern/Shop-Rite. The post mentioned something about Kroger thinking Wakefern was a "mob-like" organization, which made me smile a little.

Of course, despite my best search efforts, I can't find the post now. Is there any truth to this or does anyone have any more info about why Kroger hasn't come to NJ yet? Not that I'm desperate to have them come here either, as they seem to be a whole lot like a Midwestern pre-apocalyptic version of A&P, but I'm curious about the story.
I can't imagine that Kroger would be terrified of Wakefern. Kroger is the elephant in the room.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I do not see the Hannaford banner leaving the northeastern United States again.
Stop & Shop was a New England chain. Ahold pulled it down into North Jersey. They could try to do the same with Hannaford.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine that Kroger would be terrified of Wakefern. Kroger is the elephant in the room.
Food retailing markets in the northeastern United States appear to be crowded at the moment. Mergers, acquisitions, consolidations and closures should eliminate competitors and allow room to compete for additional market share.

Kroger could be ready to expand, or it may be content with its banners at the moment. If it decides to grow, would it want to expand into the northeastern United States, the southeastern United States, both, or elsewhere?

Old 07-22-2015, 01:58 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
C-Town, wow. I haven't heard that name in a while, and yes, it's about as ghetto as you can get. There was a Key Food near our apartment in Manhattan. I swear they must've bought the grocery equivalent of seconds.

I'd love to see Weis come to Central NJ. They've got (most all of them) great bakery and deli sections, and their Weis-brand foods are top notch. I actually prefer their cheeses to a lot of name brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey