Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:02 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Oh, I didn't know that. Hope she is feeling better. Please substitute your father in the joke. And if that would be inappropriate a sibling or cousin will do.
I know you didn't know, and it was a funny comeback. Dad died in 1999. How about my youngest brother? I'd love it if he decided to work for a living...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 10:14 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
I'd say in my town and circle of friends in Monmouth County it's a pretty even split between those who commute to NYC and those who commute within NJ. Keep in mind if you make decent $$ and work downtown the ferries are a very nice commute. Even the bus from PNC to midtown isn't that bad. It's all much better and quicker than my commute was from Staten Island- and that was within NYC.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:26 AM

244 posts, read 598,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
I'd say in my town and circle of friends in Monmouth County it's a pretty even split between those who commute to NYC and those who commute within NJ. Keep in mind if you make decent $$ and work downtown the ferries are a very nice commute. Even the bus from PNC to midtown isn't that bad. It's all much better and quicker than my commute was from Staten Island- and that was within NYC.
If I lived a little further east, I would definitely do the ferry! I heard they might reopen the South Amboy one which would be closer - would definitely give that a try.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
We need CaptainNJ to chime in on where he and his neighbors work! :P

On the block in Holmdel I'm very familiar with, there is one couple who both work in NYC and do the grinding commute while a nanny watches their 3 little ones. One family is retired. Another is a builder local to the area, so he seems to have good work life balance. 4 other families on that block--wife stays at home while the husband commutes to the city and works in finance.

Based on that distribution, I suspect many of the owners of the McMansions moved to Monmouth County for the housing value/school district with the idea that only one of the two parents would be commuting and the other would hold down the fort.
CaptainNJ works in Brooklyn. Drives in. He's regaled us with stories of how he brake-checks tailgaters on the road.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I have considered the ferry, but it would strain my budget too much. It's twice the cost of the train.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:46 AM

73 posts, read 150,259 times
Commuting from marlboro can be terrible as people have posted. To get to port authority its going to take 60 to 80 min a morning, I get it. The thing about it though is I have goods friends who live in Colster, Upper Saddle River, and Paramus all in Bergen county and a lot closer to the city. There commutes on the bus to port authority is almost the same as people from monmouth. There is no beating the commute unless you live in the city and even then it still could be close to an hour. I know people who have to get to financial district and they live near upper west side by Columbus circle and it takes them 50 min on two subways.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:59 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by printscreen View Post
Commuting from marlboro can be terrible as people have posted. To get to port authority its going to take 60 to 80 min a morning, I get it. The thing about it though is I have goods friends who live in Colster, Upper Saddle River, and Paramus all in Bergen county and a lot closer to the city. There commutes on the bus to port authority is almost the same as people from monmouth. There is no beating the commute unless you live in the city and even then it still could be close to an hour. I know people who have to get to financial district and they live near upper west side by Columbus circle and it takes them 50 min on two subways.
Yup! People are often delusional about their commute times. They don't account for driving to the station or bus stop, parking, walking to the train/bus and getting to the office. I live in Wayne, 20 miles to NYC, my office is 3 blocks from Penn station and/or Port Authority. My door to desk is 1 hour 10 minutes in the summer and 1 hour 20 all other times going in and 1 hour 15 minutes on the way home. Yet I have people tell me everyday that they make it in less than an hour(during rush hour). Same was true when I took the train from Hawthorne and Ridgewood. No one is making it to their office in under an hour, yet everyone claims they do. To prove my point I have often challenged people with a $20 bet. After 6 years no one has claimed the prize.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:11 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Yup! People are often delusional about their commute times. They don't account for driving to the station or bus stop, parking, walking to the train/bus and getting to the office. I live in Wayne, 20 miles to NYC, my office is 3 blocks from Penn station and/or Port Authority. My door to desk is 1 hour 10 minutes in the summer and 1 hour 20 all other times going in and 1 hour 15 minutes on the way home. Yet I have people tell me everyday that they make it in less than an hour(during rush hour). Same was true when I took the train from Hawthorne and Ridgewood. No one is making it to their office in under an hour, yet everyone claims they do. To prove my point I have often challenged people with a $20 bet. After 6 years no one has claimed the prize.
can't rep you again- but agree 100%......also- nobody mentions parking....what good is quick train trip if you can't park there....a lot of the towns up north have 3-5 year wait lists for train parking or you have to park in a commercial lot and risk towing for a bus. Some even drive several towns over. When I used the Academy bus it was @ PNC lot- tons of free parking, from what I hear ferry has same. Just another thing to consider.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Exactly. I took the train to Hoboken and PATH to the WTC for years. The schedule shows an express train from Ridgewood to Hoboken to be around 35 minutes. Great, right? But then you walk down to PATH, get on a train, the ride is about ten or eleven minutes, and then it took about ten minutes with a walk and two elevators to get up to the office. And before I got on the train at Ridgewood, I had to leave my house in Midland Park, walk to a bus stop, and have a six-minute bus ride to the train station. It was an hour and 10 to an hour and 20 from my house to my desk.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:54 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
Quote:
can't rep you again- but agree 100%......also- nobody mentions parking....what good is quick train trip if you can't park there....a lot of the towns up north have 3-5 year wait lists for train parking or you have to park in a commercial lot and risk towing for a bus. Some even drive several towns over. When I used the Academy bus it was @ PNC lot- tons of free parking, from what I hear ferry has same. Just another thing to consider.

When we first moved here we were both commuting into the city. I knew I could only stand it if we lived walking distance to either the train or the bus. My office was walking distance to both. My husband still commutes into port authority but has to take the train to Union Square. I am constantly amazed at how fast he can do it - but you have to really want it! LOL He doesn't regret moving here and thinks the commute is worth living in this beautiful area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey