Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 01:07 PM

941 posts, read 2,302,814 times

Advertisements

Plus the way i've seen some of these contractors rehab bldgs makes you wonder how well was this building was cleaned, people are living there already, in a place with so much diseases was the cleaning a very intense process? Food for thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,375,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
Plus the way i've seen some of these contractors rehab bldgs makes you wonder how well was this building was cleaned, people are living there already, in a place with so much diseases was the cleaning a very intense process? Food for thought
That place was mothballed for so long that I wouldn't worry about viruses, bacteria, etc. I would, however, have concerns over mold- buildings built back when JCMC was built weren't exactly the best at keeping moisture out, and hospitals weren't typically overflowing with money for maintenance of the building structure. It wouldn't surprise me if there are mold issues down the road.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,623,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
That place was mothballed for so long that I wouldn't worry about viruses, bacteria, etc. I would, however, have concerns over mold- buildings built back when JCMC was built weren't exactly the best at keeping moisture out, and hospitals weren't typically overflowing with money for maintenance of the building structure. It wouldn't surprise me if there are mold issues down the road.
Exactly, that building has been leaking water for years. I worked there countless days, evenings, midnights and the windows constantly leaked all over. I just don't get it people would be happy to sleep in a room that people died in from TB,aids,and every other disease imaginable to the human race. I couldn't fathom laying in a bed trying to fall asleep wondering how many people died in this room from all the sicknesses. They had a prison ward there for years when the inmates that were dying in the jail they sent them to the Medical Center to die. I wonder if they put that in a disclosure when you buy(14 people died in this room from TB Sleep tight). That area was a $hit hole for 50 years and still is a $hit hole..

Old 02-27-2008, 02:13 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,275 times
Default More from an actual owner

Yeah, so I wasn't born in JC. Many people who were born in JC wouldn't recognize it today, and that will even be more true in 5 years. I don't think you need to have been born here to have a lock on an informed opinion of this area. I think I've lived here long enough to get an idea from last Summer what next Summer will be like. I've lived in several major cities, this being the smallest. The Margaret Hague is going to be rehabbed too, but they started with the buildings closest to Montgomery that are all connected by a beautiful art deco corridor with marble walls and period lighting that the hospital staff used to refer to as "Broadway", and then are going to do the other buildings after that. They are also going to build a large garage to house all of the cars. The maint fee I pay each month is about $500 (its somewhat less than that but my wife handles the mortgage and housing expenses so I'm not sure of the exact number and I'm not home so I can't ask her, but its no more than that). Maint. includes the shuttle bus, the spa, heat, water and air conditioning, plus special events, like when the Black Widow came to the Beacon 2 weeks ago and gave a demonstration of her skills as well as playing two guys who beat everyone else in the complex (She won). Residents have to pay for electric. Cable tv and internet access are free for the first year, then market rates after that. These buildings were built with massive thick walls, typical mid rise construction of the 1930-1940 period, but they are being retrofit with steel beams to conform with current earthquake safety codes. We have not had any moisture problems (I am on the 7th floor, but the main entrance is on the ground floor). You would not know that the two buildings completed so far were hospital buildings. They are a complete gut job down to the slab. Everything in the buildings is new except the historical art deco features which had to be restored. If you are worried about living in a place where people were born or died don't buy a brownstone either 'cause before the first few decades of the 20th century most people did those things at home.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Yeah, so I wasn't born in JC. Many people who were born in JC wouldn't recognize it today, and that will even be more true in 5 years. I don't think you need to have been born here to have a lock on an informed opinion of this area. I think I've lived here long enough to get an idea from last Summer what next Summer will be like. I've lived in several major cities, this being the smallest. The Margaret Hague is going to be rehabbed too, but they started with the buildings closest to Montgomery that are all connected by a beautiful art deco corridor with marble walls and period lighting that the hospital staff used to refer to as "Broadway", and then are going to do the other buildings after that. They are also going to build a large garage to house all of the cars. The maint fee I pay each month is about $500 (its somewhat less than that but my wife handles the mortgage and housing expenses so I'm not sure of the exact number and I'm not home so I can't ask her, but its no more than that). Maint. includes the shuttle bus, the spa, heat, water and air conditioning, plus special events, like when the Black Widow came to the Beacon 2 weeks ago and gave a demonstration of her skills as well as playing two guys who beat everyone else in the complex (She won). Residents have to pay for electric. Cable tv and internet access are free for the first year, then market rates after that. These buildings were built with massive thick walls, typical mid rise construction of the 1930-1940 period, but they are being retrofit with steel beams to conform with current earthquake safety codes. We have not had any moisture problems (I am on the 7th floor, but the main entrance is on the ground floor). You would not know that the two buildings completed so far were hospital buildings. They are a complete gut job down to the slab. Everything in the buildings is new except the historical art deco features which had to be restored. If you are worried about living in a place where people were born or died don't buy a brownstone either 'cause before the first few decades of the 20th century most people did those things at home.
How can you not recognize it? It was filthy in jc 5 years ago, it's filthy now,and it will be 5 yrs from now, didnt you see these posts, people who lived there still see the same thing ,old dirty streets and bldgs,it's gonna take a miracle to clean those streets up, if your paying that type of money you should'nt see any trash or people beggin at all, it still amazes me how people pay these prices to live in places just because of location.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:39 PM

16 posts, read 112,711 times
Since I am the original poster, I wanted to pipe up and say that I have, in fact, decided to rent at the Beacon. While I am not exactly ready to put up all the cash to purchase, I decided that the convenience, amenities and beautiful finishes were enough to convince me, considering some other things I saw for a considerable amount more.

The thing is, my husband will take the shuttle to work, and I will take the car when I go out. And aside from living in London, I have never lived somewhere where I didn't get into my car to go eat, shop, work, etc., no matter whether it was city living or posh suburbia.

I am more concerned with the extremely unfriendly and unhelpful police I have run into in the week I have been here!

Old 02-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncampbell View Post
Since I am the original poster, I wanted to pipe up and say that I have, in fact, decided to rent at the Beacon. While I am not exactly ready to put up all the cash to purchase, I decided that the convenience, amenities and beautiful finishes were enough to convince me, considering some other things I saw for a considerable amount more.

The thing is, my husband will take the shuttle to work, and I will take the car when I go out. And aside from living in London, I have never lived somewhere where I didn't get into my car to go eat, shop, work, etc., no matter whether it was city living or posh suburbia.

I am more concerned with the extremely unfriendly and unhelpful police I have run into in the week I have been here!
Oh yeah, wait till you call them for assistance, see how long that takes!

Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 PM

416 posts, read 1,713,641 times
Quote:
I gave (my) opinion on the area around the Beacon, and as i can see from your post, you were not even raised in Jersey City i was, like my post said i was born in the Medical Center/Beacon so i think i know a little something about the area.
That would maybe be handy if someone wants to do historical research on the area. Folks wanting to move somewhere usually want to know what a place is like now.
Quote:
I didnt grow up rich either, so believe me i know the value of a dollar, i would'nt pay 500,000 for a 2 bedroom if D Trump lived right next door,no matter where the building was, but if that's your choice enjoy!
That's your choice, but in some areas--such as many places in Manhattan, you'd be lucky to find a two bedroom apartment for 500k. If you could get one for that price, you might be able to turn it around and make a couple hundred grand in a couple years--maybe even more, depending on why someone sold it to you so cheaply, etc. Real estate is worth what folks will pay for it, and plenty of people will pay far more than 500k for a two bedroom condo.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
No matter where an apt complex is located you still have one problem= OTHER PEOPLE.
There are certainly people who would rather not live in an urban area because of that. Some people only want to be in a detached home, some people only want to be in a rural area with no neighbors within a mile or so . . . different people like different things, and that's great (and I'd actually love to be in basically a wilderness area). But we have to expect that people aren't idiots, and if they're asking about urban areas, they're comfortable with the thought of living in apartment complexes, condos, etc.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Some time ago i was gonna post these very concerns, aren't people afraid of bad sprits dwelling there in a place where there was so much sickness and death, but then again there was birth and healing also? Hmmm maybe i'm overeacting
I've always wanted to own an old hearse, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy and live in an old funeral home, a supposed haunted house, etc. . . . but unfortunately, none of that is going to happen while I'm married to my present wife, lol. She's extremely superstitious, and far more "normal" than anyone would expect given how I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey