Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 03:21 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,019,034 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the area will gentrify eventually. The Montgomery Projects' days are numbered; projects are being razed all over the state.

As for Ciao9999, how dare you talk about White Castle!
I'm not a big fan of fast food, but I can't resist White Castle and their little burgers. Sure there are other respectable places to eat, but WC is perfect when its 1 am, everything is closed, and all you want is a little snack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 04:27 PM

576 posts, read 1,597,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I'm sure the area will gentrify eventually. The Montgomery Projects' days are numbered; projects are being razed all over the state.
This may eventually happen in the future, but this is also the case for every ungentrified area of NYC. I mean I dont fully agree with gentrification but its also inevitable, I have my reasons for disliking gentrification but I wont get into it now. Some areas maybe see it in 5 years some in 10 but regaurdless the way prices and everythings going in NYC there probebly wont be many areas around and within NYC that will be the same as they once were.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:19 PM

80 posts, read 219,552 times
For Ciao9999
Yes, there is a Greek Orthodox church right around the corner from the Beacon - Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church @ 661 Montgomery Street. There is also another a short distance away on Summit Ave behind the Path Station in Journal Square. Sorry, don't know the name of that one.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:13 AM

111 posts, read 319,383 times
Im sorry its funny to me the people that try to down play how bad that area is. Dont get me wrong I know the Beacon it self is real nice but atleast give people the whole truth not just the good side of it or making the amount of crime seem small. Jersey City has many nice parts but this just isnt one of them for the amount of money it cost to live there you have better options for your buck. Tell the people about the murders, robberies and many shootings within a couple block radius. Tell them about the bloods and crips that have been at war for years in the Booker T and Montgomery projects or how Corneilson ave (directly behind the Beacon) is the most busiest and well known prostitution strip in the county. How about the open air drug markets in Booker T, Brunswick estates, Montgomery projects, Monticello ave and parts of Baldwin ave all with in a short walk. The pictures shown around the Beacon were poor examples of the area they were taken at a time when the area would be close to deserted. A person I knew was killed by a crack head from Montgomery projects that tried to rob them and stabbed them to death on Montgomery near the Beacon.

Just so you can get a clear picture of what I mean here is a link to a CRIME MAP of Jersey City type in 4 BEACON in the adress change the date of the search to 1/01/06-7/27/07 (this is the only time frame). Make sure you set the results to 50 and choose different catagories like homocide, robbery, burglary, assaults, weapons, and drugs. By my count there was 7 murders in this time frame with in two or three blocks alone. And the murder rate went down for this period after 2005 and as of 2008 it has doubled 07 already so keep in mind this is just a fraction.

JERSEY CITY CRIME MAP
Crime in Jersey City

Last edited by JerseyCity201; 09-08-2008 at 02:27 AM..

Old 09-08-2008, 01:38 AM

RECENT GUN VIOLENCE NEAR BEACON FROM THE JERSEY JOURNAL

Man bashed by rifle butt, finger severed

Monday, September 08, 2008

A 35-year-old Union City man was beaten, and one of his fingers severed, after he was jumped by four men early Sunday morning in Jersey City, according to police reports.
The 12th Street resident and a 26-year-old friend, also from Union City, were looking for a taxi near Bright Street in Jersey City around 4 a.m. after visiting a friend at the Montgomery Gardens public housing complex, reports said.

Four men came up to them and told them to leave the area, reports said. Then according to the victim, a man in the group started bashing him in the head with an AK-47 rifle.
The 26-year-old ran for help, but by the time he returned, his friend was bleeding from the left hand, reports said. No shots were fired, authorities said.
The witness and victim walked to the Jersey City Medical Center, where the victim was treated for a cut to the back of his head as well a severed ring finger on his left hand, police said. It was not known how the finger was severed, police said.
The pair admitted to being intoxicated, reports said.
CHARLES HACK

HE KEEPS WALKING AFTER SHOT IN KNEE

Monday, August 25, 2008

A Jersey City man told police he walked nearly half a mile before noticing he was shot in the knee early yesterday morning, according to police.

The 34-year-old Kennedy Boulevard resident said he was near the Montgomery Gardens public housing complex on Cornelison Avenue around 4:20 a.m. when he felt "minor pain" in his left knee, police said.

It wasn't until he reached Bergen Avenue and Montgomery Street that his knee pain worsened and he noticed he was bleeding, police said.

The man appeared intoxicated and he was listed in stable condition at Jersey City Medical Center, with the bullet possibly still lodged in his knee, authorities said.

CHARLES HACK

Old 09-08-2008, 09:54 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,787 times
Default Keep it real

Yes, it's true there is crime in the city, and if you wander about intoxicated and oblivious at 4 a.m. you may be a victim of a crime. Surprise, surprise. If you want to do that I suggest you relocate to the suburbs. I've lived at the Beacon for over a year and I have never had a problem. Not one. I've been asked for change 3 or 4 times, I said no, that was it. At the Beacon you can be as isolated or involved with the community as you want. We have 24 hour security, fences, cameras and the motorcycle division of the Police, on site. We are also on a steep hill physically isolated from Cornelison Street and Montgomery Gardens. I have never felt unsafe, but I'm not about to wander aimlessly around the area drunk at 4 a.m. either.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Yes, it's true there is crime in the city, and if you wander about intoxicated and oblivious at 4 a.m. you may be a victim of a crime. Surprise, surprise. If you want to do that I suggest you relocate to the suburbs. I've lived at the Beacon for over a year and I have never had a problem. Not one. I've been asked for change 3 or 4 times, I said no, that was it. At the Beacon you can be as isolated or involved with the community as you want. We have 24 hour security, fences, cameras and the motorcycle division of the Police, on site. We are also on a steep hill physically isolated from Cornelison Street and Montgomery Gardens. I have never felt unsafe, but I'm not about to wander aimlessly around the area drunk at 4 a.m. either.
Once again trying to downplay. Everyone knows there is crime in this city but the point Im trying to make is there is alot of it within a two block radius. It would be one thing if it was a normal amount of crime or was just average crimes that happen even in the good areas like kids selling weed, cartheft, burglaries, and the occasional strong are robbery. But not when its the extreme crimes like murder, car jackings, armed robbery, and 24/7 heroin, crack and pcp sales. The person I knew that was killed in that area that isnt on the crime map wasnt mudered late and wasnt wondering drunk either. If you look at the crime map of the 7 homocides two were not at a late time, one was 1:57pm the other 8:27pm. Not to mention three of these murders were between 12am and 2am on saturday and sunday mornings. Wouldnt you think at least some of the Beacon residents with a life would be coming home from a night out on a weekend around 12am-4am. Not all of the crime is at 4am either, if you look on the crime map of 50 robberies 26 were between 5am and 7pm. Assualts 25 of 50 were between this time and weapons 29 0f 50. I have no problem with you telling people how nice it is inside the beacon and what it has to offer but atleast be honest about what goes on around the beacon. My point I was trying to make is for the amount of money spent to live there you could live some where safer even with in Jersey City stop trying to use the its a city of course there is crime tactic were not talking about the city just the area. Most the people that read these post and are looking to buy there arent from Jersey City and dont know the area so its only fair to let them know the truth. Most people dont want to be forced to be isolated I know the actual beacon is safe but you have to leave sometime. Also the Beacon is not on a steep hill its more like a slight incline that is only one short block from this area you claim its isolated from.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:51 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,633,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCity201 View Post
Im sorry its funny to me the people that try to down play how bad that area is. Dont get me wrong I know the Beacon it self is real nice but atleast give people the whole truth not just the good side of it or making the amount of crime seem small. Jersey City has many nice parts but this just isnt one of them for the amount of money it cost to live there you have better options for your buck. Tell the people about the murders, robberies and many shootings within a couple block radius. Tell them about the bloods and crips that have been at war for years in the Booker T and Montgomery projects or how Corneilson ave (directly behind the Beacon) is the most busiest and well known prostitution strip in the county. How about the open air drug markets in Booker T, Brunswick estates, Montgomery projects, Monticello ave and parts of Baldwin ave all with in a short walk. The pictures shown around the Beacon were poor examples of the area they were taken at a time when the area would be close to deserted. A person I knew was killed by a crack head from Montgomery projects that tried to rob them and stabbed them to death on Montgomery near the Beacon.

Just so you can get a clear picture of what I mean here is a link to a CRIME MAP of Jersey City type in 4 BEACON in the adress change the date of the search to 1/01/06-7/27/07 (this is the only time frame). Make sure you set the results to 50 and choose different catagories like homocide, robbery, burglary, assaults, weapons, and drugs. By my count there was 7 murders in this time frame with in two or three blocks alone. And the murder rate went down for this period after 2005 and as of 2008 it has doubled 07 already so keep in mind this is just a fraction.

JERSEY CITY CRIME MAP
Crime in Jersey City
I've been saying this since this post showed up. Right on.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:52 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,633,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Sounds like a prison to me.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:10 PM

576 posts, read 1,597,552 times
Ha! I was just about to say the same thing. Im sure they fixed up that old hospital real nice, I dont doubt that. It just sounds so funny to me when people are basically saying "yea the area is fine we have the national gaurd , swat team , helicopters and our own riffles to keep us safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Sounds like a prison to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey