Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 08:36 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times

Advertisements

That is a hellish commute, and there's no way to avoid tolls.

I'd advise you to move to Queens, or transfer to a college in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 09:37 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,755 times
I used to go to queens all the time from hackensack.

it's not going to be $8 per day, no matter what you do.

It's $20 around trip, if you want an easier commute, for the hard commute to save money a few bucks, it will be $12 around trip.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:40 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
I used to go to queens all the time from hackensack.

it's not going to be $8 per day, no matter what you do.

It's $20 around trip, if you want an easier commute, for the hard commute to save money a few bucks, it will be $12 around trip.
You could do it for about $6.50 a day but for this person starting in Hackensack it would be out of the way but, you could go down US 1&9 to the Goethals Br, out over the Verrazano, eastbound no toll, to Queens, on the way back over the 59'er Queensboro Br or the Williamsburg B,r cross Manhattan, out the Lincoln or Holland or GWB back to America proper.

That way would be the SI commuter plan EZ Pass discount and no other tolls.

Otherwise it would be whatever the lowest toll, I think goes by time of day on EZPass over the GeeDub or Lincoln or Holland then any free bridge Wiliamsburg, 59'er, Manhattan or Brooklyn bridges both ways.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:04 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Another FORMER option, there USED TO BE, a ferry from Elizabeth NJ down by the foot of either Elizabeth Ave or East Jersey Street, that took you and your car across the water to the foot of Forest Ave in Staten Island NY, the toll or fare WAS 10 cents, each way.

It ran right near the Goethals Bridge, when my oldest cousin was about 17 or 18 we all piled in his car and drove from America (NJ) to that "furrin country" Staten Island 10 cents each way.

Need a time machine now to catch that one

Not even much mention of it in the historical sites but it did exist and took either passengers or cars with passengers for 10 big pennies.

Elizabeth Forum 2011

S.I. Transportation - Old Staten Island

Old 03-11-2016, 02:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
So what's the plan here? Across the GWB to Cross Bronx Expressway, then across the Throggs Neck Bridge and take the Clearview to the Union Turnpike? Might want to listen to a few traffic reports before considering that. None of the alternatives are much better, though if you like pain you can try the cross-Manhattan route (Lincoln tunnel to the Queens-Midtown tunnel).

Public transit isn't any better... moving or transferring is your best bet here.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:32 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Public transit isn't any better... moving or transferring is your best bet here.
+1

In addition to the commuting costs, the OP should consider that the projected drive time to Queens is based on near-ideal conditions.

Once you factor-in the inevitable accident--or two--with lane closures, the projected drive time increases.
Merely a lot of rain could increase the drive time to a significant extent.
And, on days when it is snowing, the theoretical drive time could easily be doubled.

I can't imagine being able to engage in the rigors of higher education on a daily basis after fighting commuter traffic for an extended period in the AM, and then having to face it again in the PM.

Commuting daily from NJ to Queens may be acceptable in the short term, but in the long term, this is an untenable situation, and the OP should seriously consider either moving to Queens or transferring to a college in NJ.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:16 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmotion View Post
Reminds me of the time I plugged a trip into GPS from southern Westchester County, NY to Fort Lee, NJ. I believe the distance was around 15 miles and time was under 1/2 hour [over the George Washington Bridge]. For shiggles, I hit "avoid tolls". Illogically, as I recall, the re-calculated route was equivalent to a cross country trip and back!
That is funny. And thanks for "shiggles". I'm going to adopt that myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey