Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 06:02 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times

Advertisements

Interesting read. What's even more interesting are public officials pointing fingers at each other instead of working together on a solution.

PATH Strains Under Housing Boom
by Andrew Tangel
Wall Street Journal
June 5, 2016
(website) PATH Strains Under Housing Boom - WSJ

Excerpts:

"“It’s irresponsible for a city to allow indiscriminate growth that’s going to tax public infrastructure beyond its capability,” Mr. Degnan (PA) said."

"“At the end of the day it’s Port Authority’s responsibility,” Mr. Fulop (JC) said. “They should stop putting blame elsewhere. Every surrounding municipality has grown.”"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 10:09 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
What's even more interesting are public officials pointing fingers at each other instead of working together on a solution.
The solution is both obvious and impractical, so public officials do what comes natural -- placing the blame somewhere else.

Building more capacity is the obvious solution, but with various regulations and lawsuit-bait at every level of government (not to mention PANJ's tendencies towards waste and corruption), it's become far to expensive even for this area to be able to fund it.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:05 AM

377 posts, read 474,923 times
Only going to get worse.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:15 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The solution is both obvious and impractical, so public officials do what comes natural -- placing the blame somewhere else.

Building more capacity is the obvious solution, but with various regulations and lawsuit-bait at every level of government (not to mention PANJ's tendencies towards waste and corruption), it's become far to expensive even for this area to be able to fund it.
Totally agree. It's what our public 'servants' do best.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:36 AM

239 posts, read 379,629 times
Glad the PA spent all that money on a half-empty office building and non-functional metal bird.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:10 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
More reasons I turn down jobs that requires taking PATH trains.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:52 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
I lived in Jersey City 10 years ago and back then the trains were packed. I can't imagine what it's like now.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:26 PM

343 posts, read 615,503 times
I just took the path from newport to 33rd after work yesterday for the time square food festival and it was horrendous, platform and cars completely packed full, a smelly sweating mess.

My coworker tells me in the morning it's even worse as the trains are completely packed when it leaves newark, while people are still trying to squeeze on in the later stops.

If i have to deal with this everyday, i will just hang myself.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:19 PM

702 posts, read 540,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude05 View Post
My coworker tells me in the morning it's even worse as the trains are completely packed when it leaves newark, while people are still trying to squeeze on in the later stops.

Yes, my experience is that on weekday mornings all the seats and most of the aisles are full when it leaves Newark Penn. I feel really sorry for people that have to jam their way on at Harrison, Newport, Grove, or Exchange.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:43 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjguy View Post
Glad the PA spent all that money on a half-empty office building and non-functional metal bird.
My favorite are the PATH ads aboard trains that claim the metal bird will soon allow access to MTA subways without getting my hair wet. Not even kidding.

Left out is the part on how that underground walkway connection is still years away and probably a couple billion more down the drain.

I hope the next NJ governor is smart enough to take this situation and use it as an advantage. If transit into the city sucks then lower corporate taxes and promote more companies to move into Jersey City, Newark, or elsewhere in North Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey