Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 04:28 AM

4 posts, read 14,071 times

Advertisements

I am finally following my heart, well somewhat. I would like to move to NYC smack dab in the middle of Manhattan's beautiful traffic...problem is its extreeeeeemely expensive I can pay but not if Im going to school too. Im a new nurse (lpn) i make ok money 23.00 an hour starting out here in South Jersey probably about close to 30 or more towards north jersey anyway i realllllly want to be close to nyc so ive been looking at apartments in newark, kearny, union, etc. Newark is the cheapest and closest to the school I'm going to (Seton Hall in South Orange) and just as equally important has a great view of new york city! The Colonnade apartments in particular are what ive been looking into! I love the look of these apartments inside and out it fits me. But will I be ok in this part of Newark? Young single and no clue about north jersey People can tell I'm not from there and im very attractive guys everywhere will definitely have their eyes on me (not trying to be conceited but) im just asking will i be safe or should i go for something different? My mom has been holding me back from moving there since i was 18 because she told me i would get raped or robbed so i stayed in south jersey and im starting to really hate it. i hate philly i lived in south jersey my whole life im so done with it. Anyway oh and also should i have a car in newark or no? one of the things about me living in nyc was i wasnt going to bother having a car and i would have been happy with that. Please let me know your opinions!!!!thanx in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Those apartments seem to have a slue of issues aside from looking like 1980s pieces of crap... A Car isn't needed in Newark or surrounding cities and towns due to the Transit system which is used by half of the population. That part of Newark if 50/50 , its slightly rundown to the south , but your next to Branch Brook Park Newark's Gem....and Transport links. New York City is way overrated and if you plan on being a Nurse its not worth it , along with several other professions.... Whats wrong with Philly , its starting to become a mini Jersey City / Hoboken...not as bad as it used to be... If you don't like that Apartment in Newark look up in the Forest Hills area of Newark , Harrison, Kearny and North Ironbound section of Newark.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:47 AM

885 posts, read 1,882,636 times
As a half ugly 30 year old guy, I put the top up on my car when driving through that place... as a young pretty girl I would not even THINK about living there if I were you.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Would the answer be different for an ugly young woman?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,683,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Would the answer be different for an ugly young woman?
No, that would be fine. Criminals ALWAYS determine their targets based on looks.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:44 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,079,510 times
You'd be safer in Jersey City or Hoboken to be honest. The PATH train runs between NY, Hoboken, JC & Newark so you may be able to take a bus to Seton Hall from Newark Penn Station. It might be a bit inconvenient.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
You'd be safer in Jersey City or Hoboken to be honest. The PATH train runs between NY, Hoboken, JC & Newark so you may be able to take a bus to Seton Hall from Newark Penn Station. It might be a bit inconvenient.
@ 11an hr , JC and Hoboken are to expensive...

Old 06-20-2012, 09:15 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,450,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
@ 11an hr , JC and Hoboken are to expensive...
She said she made 23 an hour.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:43 AM

576 posts, read 1,597,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Whats wrong with Philly , its starting to become a mini Jersey City / Hoboken.
??? Uh Jersey City is its own city, Why are you marrying it with Hoboken. Stop doing that, they are nothing alike. And are you serious with "Philadelphia is becoming JC" Its the other way around buddy.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 AM

271 posts, read 1,019,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
??? Uh Jersey City is its own city, Why are you marrying it with Hoboken. Stop doing that, they are nothing alike. And are you serious with "Philadelphia is becoming JC" Its the other way around buddy.
Also New York is becoming Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey