Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 20,818 times

Advertisements

I live and work in Tenafly(Bergen County) my girlfriend lives and works in NYC, we are looking to move in together. I have talked her into NJ but trying to figure out where.

She currently lives in upper east side and works around Baruch College(24th and 3rd ave.) Doesn't drive and wants to be an easyish commute into the city. I live one minute from where I work currently and understand I am going to be losing that! I do drive just trying not to make my commute to far if possible.

Looking for advice on real travel time on commutes from Englewood, Fort Lee, Edgewater to the City? Fall back is Jersey City/Hoboken but that will be a stretch for me adding 45min each way to my day.

Rent is somewhat flexible depending where we are will decide what we can get for our money, I will have a car so some ability for parking will be necessary.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 08:02 PM

4,183 posts, read 5,067,201 times
If using the Ferry @ Weehawken works budget-wise, consider anything along Blvd. East, or along River Rd. in Hudson County.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:32 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,644,565 times
Living in NJ is not ideal if you work on the east side

Old 01-02-2017, 10:12 PM

274 posts, read 297,895 times
Did you even read the OP's post?

lol

Old 01-03-2017, 02:20 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,945 times
I am speaking from sporadic drives rather than regular commutes, but IMO commuting to Baruch via the GWB (if you pick Ft Lee or Englewood) would be a PITA.

You might check out West New York and Weehawken, as someone said. It would be roughly 25-30 mins. each for you, avoiding the awful Hoboken traffic bottleneck. Weehawken has one too but heading south rather than toward Tenafly. The commute for her would be almost as good as it gets thanks to the wonderful minibuses to the Port A on Blvd East in West New York and Weehawken, which come every 5 mins. That is assuming you are in the bluffs section of Weehawken. It also has a waterfront section just S of Edgewater and a Heights section between Union City and Hoboken. The waterfront dwellers mainly use the ferry, I think, and it also goes to Edgewater. It's handiest for those working way downtown or on the W side, but it has bus and subway connections to other areas including fairly close to Baruch. Fares, Routes & Schedules

The other town that comes to mind is Secaucus which has a lot of bus and train options for getting to Manhattan and isnt too long a drive for you.

Anything else I can think of is much longer for one of you. One does get used to long commutes after a while but it's awfully nice in a relationship if they're fairly equal. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:20 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I worked near Baruch for 7 years. Took the Bergen/Mainline to Hoboken, then PATH to 23rd Street and walked down 23rd. Not bad.

Try Rutherford or Lyndhurst.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:39 AM

650 posts, read 776,154 times
How much is the commute?
Not a good deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I worked near Baruch for 7 years. Took the Bergen/Mainline to Hoboken, then PATH to 23rd Street and walked down 23rd. Not bad.

Try Rutherford or Lyndhurst.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:37 PM

728 posts, read 1,966,457 times
You could try a bus and then subway it to get close to the east side.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:37 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,259,148 times
I may be stating the obvious but have you considered moving to the ues and doing a reverse commute? I would imagine it's between half an hour and 45 minutes depending on what time you leave and how close to the fdr you are. Waze can confirm that time in the morning. You may be able to get by with street parking if you are moving your car every day.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:54 PM

10 posts, read 20,818 times
Default reverse commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I may be stating the obvious but have you considered moving to the ues and doing a reverse commute? I would imagine it's between half an hour and 45 minutes depending on what time you leave and how close to the fdr you are. Waze can confirm that time in the morning. You may be able to get by with street parking if you are moving your car every day.

Yeah thought about it but expense of living in NY couldn't workout in my mind. higher taxes, higher rent, gwb toll every day, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey