Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 05:10 PM

15 posts, read 87,022 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Brooklyn and I am looking for a good low crime rate and close distance to the city in NJ. I have heard edison is good. How are the schools? I have a 7 yr. old.

Any other place you can suggest with less than an hour ride into the city?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 07:28 PM

687 posts, read 3,252,140 times
Edison schools are good. You have tons of options in that general vicinity--much of Middlesex county would fit your bill. Beyond low crime and schools, what precisely are you looking for? More specifics will help people give you better info.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:50 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Also try doing a search in the NJ forum, Edison has been mentioned a lot. It will give you a better idea of what to expect.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:51 AM

604 posts, read 2,914,735 times
I think Edison might be great for some there is a vary large Indian community in North Edison which is where the higher priced homes are located and also JP Stevens HS.
The Southern part of Edison contains thousands of homes on very small lots as this was the first area of Edison (then Raritan Twp.)to be developed in the late 1940's.Many starter homes are available in this part of Edison.
I have not lived there in 40 years but back then it was a great place to grow up.Might still be.

E

Old 09-30-2007, 11:19 AM

161 posts, read 767,758 times
I lived in Brooklyn also. We looked at Edison, but everything in our price range was run down (375-450k) It was also VERY industrial in edison compared to what I was expecting. I would suggest looking in Hazlet (where we bought) or Manalapan.

Honestly I would avoid Edison if I were you. You would be better off in Brooklyn. Lots of Indians in Edison (Not that theres anything wrong with that, its just some people would rather know)

Old 09-30-2007, 06:29 PM

Thanks guys. Here is what I need -

1. Close to the city since I work downtown NY
2. Good schools for a 7 yr old
3. homes less than the 400k range
4. Good amount of diversity

Old 09-30-2007, 09:46 PM

78 posts, read 400,590 times
enjft, you may want to look at towns nearby: metuchen, east brunswick, south brunswick, plainsboro, west windsor, marlboro and etc. due to the express train in rush hours, it does not take much more time from princeton junction to the city than from edison.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 13,563 times
Tho I am new to the forum I saw your post and had to reply..
I moved from the Lower east side in NY to Edison. We actually
rented a townhouse for two years before making the decision
to buy.

Personally, we decided to get out of Edison because of overcrowding.
There are too many people. Prices are ridiculous for what they are
offering. My husband and I decided to look at nearby towns. and
we ended up deciding on Piscataway. Schools are actually pretty
good. I checked the reports for Edison and Piscataway and they
were very similar.
Another thing diversity. I love having a white neighbor across the
street and blacks to my right while my neighbors to my left are
Asians. I am hispanic so it's really nice to see all our kids play together
and know no one feels left out for something as stupid as race.

What I am getting at do your research there are really nice places around Piscataway, Edison, Metuchen.
Good luck on your search.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:15 PM

119 posts, read 240,487 times
Default Edison is 3rd safest town in New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjft View Post
I currently live in Brooklyn and I am looking for a good low crime rate and close distance to the city in NJ. I have heard edison is good. How are the schools? I have a 7 yr. old.

Any other place you can suggest with less than an hour ride into the city?

TIA
Yes, Edison is 3rd safest town in New Jersey, to Bricktown and Parsippany, and Edison has Edison Train Station that is only 40 minutes to NYC. The schools are fantastic. The JP Stevens High just won #1 in Chemistry Science League Competition in 2007 won over hundreds of ALL other high schools in New Jersey. Middlesex County Academic of Science won #1 in Physics Science League Competition in 2007 over hundreds of ALL other high schools in NJ and that is in Edison, in fact, it is based at Middlesex County College campus.

I got gold medal of million dollars club last year in 2006; that is to say I have sold over $10 millions worth of property in Greater Edison area last year. So, you can see many prospective buyers flood in the Edison area due to the above fact ...

DISCLAIMER: I got my hands full and not accepting new customer; I have been working very hard to help current customers to move up from condos and townhouses to bigger home in Greater Edison area. e.g. I just sold a $799,900 house near MetroPark Station... I sold many townhouses in Westgates too. I got one sold at first open house with 4 offers, listing $369,900 for this 2br 2hba townhouse. So, you may go to realtors.com to find a good realtor to help you. There are many of them. There are many good realtors on this board too.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:51 AM

Thanks All! This is a great starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey