Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 01:55 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,138 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'd look in Warren or Sussex Co. Prices there (Sussex anyway) have been pretty stable so you should be able to find something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 05:18 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
What do you do for a living?

If you could get a similar job out in Morris county or somewhere closer it would be doable. Newark would be killer though

Old 01-28-2017, 06:49 AM

3 posts, read 5,322 times
Thanks all for all the helpful advice..

Recently looked into Washingon as per your suggestions... Looks very affordable, but commute is still pretty bad. Have to look into further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
+1 what Gerania said.

Also, don't do this commute. I've had to do temporary long commutes 3h+ round trip commute (Astoria, NY to Parsippany, NJ) commute for little bit. It was insanely brutal and I wanted to kill myself. I was so tired from work and commute, did nothing except eat and sleep. I came into work annoyed (from traffic and drive) which bummed my coworkers and affected my work. I got home annoyed (from traffic and drive) and ate like crap because got home late and ate fast food. Not only that, burned lot of gas, car was worn out fast..list goes on and on.

I really dreaded start of workday. Its terrible highly recommend you don't do it. It is no way to live.

If you think you can still. Before you go further and pull the trigger. Do an experiment. Find a place you can sleep and commute from Stroudsburg for like a week. Rent a hotel/motel or airbnb...find a friend, family...whatever. See what its like...get a little taste and ask can I do this day in and out. If you are serious about purchasing in PA for commute to Newark. It'll be worth spending few hundred bucks to find out if you really can do it. Or you'll find yourself hating everything and looking to find a new job soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Check out Warren County, Washington area, also Easton Pa. The best way to determine travel times is to stay at a hotel in the area and drive to it and back on a weekday during rush hour.
Great idea babo & TLC... I'm thinking about getting an airbnb for a week with the family and testing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
Yeah, I'd look in Warren or Sussex Co. Prices there (Sussex anyway) have been pretty stable so you should be able to find something.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
What do you do for a living?

If you could get a similar job out in Morris county or somewhere closer it would be doable. Newark would be killer though
I could get a similar job at some point, but not willing to leave now. I'm happy with my job and the experience is not something I'm willing to give up, so not willing to relocate at the moment. I will consider in a few years though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeagles77 View Post
If you're willing to endure a (VERY) long commute, I would second Warren County. It's about as affordable as it gets in northern NJ, though try to stay closer to 78 or 80 (Washington is between the two). Check out Hackettstown, Phillipsburg, Stewartsville, etc. All are comparatively affordable and should have houses in your price range. Maybe also Hopatcong in Sussex County. It's right near 80 and I think pretty affordable.

That said, I wouldn't recommend moving out there if you plan on working in Newark long-term, as that commute just sounds brutal. If you're interested in living in a less congested area like Warren County or NEPA, maybe start looking for jobs further west, (suburban office parks along 287, for example), as it would be a much more feasible commute.

Thanks for suggestions

Old 01-28-2017, 02:59 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Can you work from home 2-3 days per week? That's pretty common in the corporate world these days.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:43 AM

401 posts, read 426,946 times
I lived in Washington for 28 years and did a ton of traveling via Newark Airport, like 2 weeks a month. Door to door during non rush hours ( after 9am) 55 mins, during rush hour ( 6-9am) 90 minutes. Traffic problems were 31 to 78 between 31 to 287 and then again 78 at the intersection of 24. I retired and moved out of NJ, but we enjoyed our time in Washington.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 PM

482 posts, read 729,165 times
We were shopping Montclair and Glen ridge since 2014 to get out of paying NYC tax, NYC rent, and lower our amt.

Over that time, Montclair homes went from 699k asking to 799k asking selling 150-200k over. Glen ridge not that far off. Montclair taxes for homes at 22k taxes are up for a huge reset in 2017. Our house just edged out at 100k over at the top of the aforementioned range, and our taxes are being reset from 23k to 26/27k next year. Overall, the market for these two towns must be up at least 15% over the past two years. Possibly 25%. . I don't care what the median sales prices say. Theses are high demand towns with a lot of burnt out 100 yr old homes that heavily skew the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey