Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 06:14 AM

22 posts, read 34,801 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a house in North Plainfield, north of Route 22, on a quiet street off Watchung Ave. Our main question is whether it makes sense to buy in North Plainfield. I've read through some older threads on North Plainfield, which has gotten some mixed reviews. It sounded like the areas north of Route 22 and around Meadowbrook are the most desirable. Safety is the number 1 concern for us, and looking at the crime map on Trulia, it seems like this street is pretty safe, though there is some orange around the intersection of Watchung Ave. and Route 22. For those who are living/have lived in North Plainfield, is the area north of Route 22 generally safe?

This location is actually pretty ideal for us, as it would give me a decent commute to work (both the office and the airport), and it's close to Costco, ShopRite, Trader Joe's, etc., and a private school we like. We're also planning to send our kid (and future kids) to private school for middle/high school, and public school for elementary school. So we're wanting to make sure that the elementary school in North Plainfield is safe and of decent quality. I've read on the forums that the middle/high schools in North Plainfield leave something to be desired, but the elementary school is okay - is that still true?

Also, we're obviously concerned about resale value and the length of the sales cycle. Given the stigma of just the word "Plainfield," would that make the sales cycle a lot longer? Also, do you think it will retain its value? I understand that we get what we pay for - we just want to make sure we can get out of it what we paid for if/when we decide to move.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 AM

215 posts, read 200,642 times
north plainfield still has a lot of desirable areas. the one you have selected is on the border of watchung and route 22, which discourages riffraff and makes them more conspicious. however, i would renovate your home and/or keep it in tip-top shape in order to maximize your profit at re-sale time. my cousins lived in north plainfield. your idea of a private school at high school time is essential, as many of the immigrant kids in the area are from working classed backgrounds and from nations where there is great racism against the indigenous and a stoicism or fatalism that is incured by generations of oppressions. immigrant kids who have fled horrific violence in colombia have other issues. whilst exposing your kids to these types of kids is culturally responsible and character building, their educational plights may suffer immensely due to the lack of competence on the public schools' accounts. a move to a bungalow in either stirling, gilette, warren, or watchung may be a better solution, so that you can utilize the public school system through 12th grade. good luck!

Old 04-26-2017, 02:39 PM

378 posts, read 587,207 times
North Plainfield real estate isn't appreciating very fast, if at all.

It's ok as long as you know what you're getting in to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey