Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:41 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times

Advertisements

I think you can get what you want with a bus commute from cresskill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 11:52 AM

235 posts, read 263,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I think you can get what you want with a bus commute from cresskill.
Cresskill is nice, but bus commute is over an hour because it is the last section of the route. Tenafly Nature Center is nearby:

Tenafly Nature Center - Home

A nice park with hiking trails. But if you want a place to bike, you will have to ride the roads or have mountain bikes with knobby tires as none of the paths are paved.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 AM

School rankings by town:

New Jersey School information by City: Popular Cities

Old 05-19-2017, 04:27 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
I live in South Orange. While there is a certain amount of opportunistic property crime, it's hard to see where one would get the idea that it is particularly dangerous/unsafe. Looking at a web site to compare crime rates both violent and property crime rates are lower than in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

The reality is that if you lock your house and car (and don't leave anything enticing like a wallet on your front seat overnight) the chance of anything happening is greatly diminished.
Another South Orange-ite here. It sure feels like Mayberry to me.

I've started spending winters in central Texas and following local city-data threads. You know how everyone in the NJ threads lists SAFETY as their #1 criteria? In the Texas threads, fewer people ask about safety, but a lot of posters, especially those trying to escape from left-ist California, want to make sure there aren't too many liberals.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:35 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Regarding cresskill, the coach routes report sub 45 minute timetables. If you live closer to tenafly off of piermont rd, it can be shorter. That price is entry level but you'll be in a town with houses that can sell very very high, like many millions high. Tiny downtown but the kids do hang out after school at the pizza or coffee shops. Tenafly has a slightly larger town including a movie theater but runs more expensive. I think there's a lot of value there considering the highly ranked schools and its bordering some super high priced towns like alpine and demarest. Just my 2 cents.
Oh and roger ailes lived there so it can't be that liberal (hehe).

Old 05-19-2017, 05:18 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Another South Orange-ite here. It sure feels like Mayberry to me.

I've started spending winters in central Texas and following local city-data threads. You know how everyone in the NJ threads lists SAFETY as their #1 criteria? In the Texas threads, fewer people ask about safety, but a lot of posters, especially those trying to escape from left-ist California, want to make sure there aren't too many liberals.
I think people tend to have this idea that NJ isn't safe. Crime stats would prove them wrong (for the suburban areas everyone is looking for) but most don't bother to look it up.

There was that guy not too long ago moving here from Alabama and he said his wife was very concerned about how dangerous it is here and we had to break it to him that AL is much more of a dangerous state than NJ is, which actually overall is among the safest. Always good times on the NJ forum.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 05-19-2017 at 05:28 PM..

Old 05-19-2017, 07:11 PM

256 posts, read 311,644 times
No, don't get me wrong, it is not NJ thing, it's just me. I am affraid to live in a house, hmm how to explain, it will sound funny to some, but in Europe when you live in a house, you have front yard with a gate, you enter the gate and then go to the front door. Here, in the United States, your front door is practically right on the street. Or maybe I was waching to many scary movies.

What about Ridgewood? I found some properties in our price range. They need some upgrade, but that is what we want anyway. I am aware that taxes will only go up, but would like to start with under 12k. Many homes in Ridgewood are under 12k. Glen Rock seems to have higher taxes.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
No, don't get me wrong, it is not NJ thing, it's just me. I am affraid to live in a house, hmm how to explain, it will sound funny to some, but in Europe when you live in a house, you have front yard with a gate, you enter the gate and then go to the front door. Here, in the United States, your front door is practically right on the street. Or maybe I was waching to many scary movies.

What about Ridgewood? I found some properties in our price range. They need some upgrade, but that is what we want anyway. I am aware that taxes will only go up, but would like to start with under 12k. Many homes in Ridgewood are under 12k. Glen Rock seems to have higher taxes.
I think you would like Ridgewood. I know people who live there and are happy with everyrhing except the same thing most people in NJ complain about - property taxes. Saddle River County Park multi-use trail and a NYC train are plusses. Nice town center too with restaurants and shops. And if you're interested, there is a YMCA with two pools in Ridgewood.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post

Haha yeah, some houses do have the front fence and gate, but they're mostly surrounding the backyard. You can always put a fence and gate in the front, though, if the house doesn't come with it and if you want to. I've seen them, they're just not too common. But to be honest the gate probably doesn't make the house much safer. Most gates can easily be jumped. I guess it just feels more secure.

If you are willing to sacrifice commute time, you will be able to live in a town where houses tend to be larger, on more land, and set back so it doesn't feel like the front door is too close to the street. But for your ideal commute time, most of the area of NJ you'll need to be in is just too crowded/dense to have that type of property.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:57 AM

857 posts, read 834,829 times
Metuchen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey