Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:25 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,613,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Many of those so called blue collar areas are places people are avoiding these days. That does not make it right or wrong. It just is what is is. Look at why people are fleeing those communities in record numbers all over the northeast. I'm not saying that it is good or right but if they were like mayberry many more people would be staying put.

I would actually agree that the people who came up in those places had a different value system. Is it really debatable? It's sad to say but some of that has gone and it's not just a question of people coming into some $$$.
You're comparing Apples to Oranges...Northeast Jersey vs. Northwest Jersey. Those blue collar folks that left or are planning to leave Northeast Jersey are searching in Northwest Jersey now. They can not afford to live in areas near to NYC anymore and the value of their homes and the money they will make selling them to transplants, they can afford a great lifestyle out here. That's why they are leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 01:29 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,763 times
I was talking about the entire northeast as this is kind of relevant in other places. If it was just a regional thing in Nj we are talking about than it is just apples and oranges.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:31 PM

201 posts, read 441,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
I have a soon to be 13 year old son, to who I remind of the days of when I was young and we didn't have our parents chauffering us around from one activity to another, we walked to each other's homes, played outside all day and we were told to be home before dark w/o having to worry anything in the world except having a good time. Today's kids is true, they are pampered too much, with all the gadgets they have they're not interested in socially oriented activities. Personally, I refuse to buy my son any video games, There's not a tv in his room, I tell him his bedroom is for sleeping at night, I don't want him to lock himself in there and no interact w/ mom & dad or to be outside playing. He doesn't have a his own cell phone, no personal computer either, if he's going to be using the pc for any homework related stuff, he's to do so at specific hours when mom or dad are home and if he's going to "talk" to his friends, he's to do it from the regular phone line, not using IM's. Also, when he goes and visits his friends, he's to walk or use his bike, and when he's to return home, I've advised his friends parents not to drop him off, he's to use his own 2 legs. anyhow, that's my 2 cents worth.
Iwould agree with some of your rules of the house. Having grown up with those same rules, even though we didn't have half of what these kids today have, but none the less they have become a product of there enviroment and peer preasure is a growing problem. Keep up the good work. I have two girls myself and as you can see that poses completely different problems. Can't wait for the dates to come over.

Last edited by Farhills Dad; 03-16-2008 at 02:03 PM..

Old 03-16-2008, 01:47 PM

213 posts, read 784,400 times
My kid and eight of his friends were out 'til 9:30 playing "manhunt" last night.
He also walks his friend, who happens to be female, home the four blocks to her house after socializing with their pals. He is a moderator for the "Degrassi" website. He also thinks the telephone is a dinosaur! He is a product of this century, denying him access to it's trappings would only leave him less equipped to interact with those who have been exposed. Right now he and 3 of his friends are playing Rock Band, after coming in from a stroll to the local Quik Chek. On his own, he started writing a book last summer and is up to Chapter 7. I see balance here. I believe it came from allowing him the responsibility to make his own choices. You make your own "Mayberry"!

Old 03-16-2008, 02:09 PM

201 posts, read 441,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stace08 View Post
My kid and eight of his friends were out 'til 9:30 playing "manhunt" last night.
He also walks his friend, who happens to be female, home the four blocks to her house after socializing with their pals. He is a moderator for the "Degrassi" website. He also thinks the telephone is a dinosaur! He is a product of this century, denying him access to it's trappings would only leave him less equipped to interact with those who have been exposed. Right now he and 3 of his friends are playing Rock Band, after coming in from a stroll to the local Quik Chek. On his own, he started writing a book last summer and is up to Chapter 7. I see balance here. I believe it came from allowing him the responsibility to make his own choices. You make your own "Mayberry"!
I remember as a kid playing war in the woods for hours. Then stopping for a short time to eat, then go out to play football with kids from another neighberhood,while sharing made up equipment. Those where fun days. I also remember having block parties almost twice a month during the summer. That was our Mayberry.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:14 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,528,025 times
The OP comments remind me of our first house hunting trip to Maplewood, NJ from NYC. It was so green and lush on the drive in with towering trees and kids playing everywhere. We found a house we liked but wanted to check out the neighborhood park. It was hidden behind a bunch of houses and we couldn't find it. There were some kids playing stick ball in the street so we asked them where it was. A boy about 11 explained to us how to get there. He was so polite. We parked and took our child into the park. My husband just grinned at me and said "welcome to Beaver Cleaver land".

Even though sadly we had to move a few years later, Maplewood to me was that kind of a place. Good neighbors, kids everywhere, ice cream shop downtown, Mayor reading "Twas the Night before Christmas" then lighting the town tree, Halloween parade and so much more. I really miss that place.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:14 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,464,469 times
There are a lot of suburban towns like that...I see it all the time. Generally there are sidewalks on the street & you see tons of kids riding their bikes, skateboarding together etc. Of course most of the areas I am thinking of went from being middle class affordable to being out of reach financially for many middle class people that I know.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:18 PM

240 posts, read 948,134 times
Default How long ago did you leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
The OP comments remind me of our first house hunting trip to Maplewood, NJ from NYC. It was so green and lush on the drive in with towering trees and kids playing everywhere. We found a house we liked but wanted to check out the neighborhood park. It was hidden behind a bunch of houses and we couldn't find it. There were some kids playing stick ball in the street so we asked them where it was. A boy about 11 explained to us how to get there. He was so polite. We parked and took our child into the park. My husband just grinned at me and said "welcome to Beaver Cleaver land".

Even though sadly we had to move a few years later, Maplewood to me was that kind of a place. Good neighbors, kids everywhere, ice cream shop downtown, Mayor reading "Twas the Night before Christmas" then lighting the town tree, Halloween parade and so much more. I really miss that place.
Sounds like a great place! How long ago did you leave? Do you think it is still the same?

Old 03-16-2008, 02:28 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
reading between the lines.."blue collar...can't afford...places you may not want to live in". Translation to the reader "...blue collar people are trash! Prefer to spend money on beer and sprucing up their trailer homes than pay for private lessons for their kids. You wouldn't want these people to be your neighbors". Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit but It's my translation..my imagination - created in my head without my parent's ever having to pay a dime for private creativity training / lessons : )))
That's not "reading between the lines" or "translating"- that's "misinterpretting" or "making false assumptions".

My point wasn't to belittle any group, but rather to say that most people (right or wrong) aren't seeking out these neighborhoods- they all "want the best" for their kids, and for many that means living beyond their means and spending far too much time keeping up with the Jones' and having their kids involved in far more activities than they need to be. That leaves very little time for them to just run around the neighborhood and "be kids" like we used to do. Now add in the fears of kids being abducted, etc., and you've got very few places that have the old "let the kids run from house to house while we enjoy a nice home-baked apple pie" mentality.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:33 PM

240 posts, read 948,134 times
Children being abducted is a scary realty! I think safety in numbers and a town where the parents look out for each others kids is the way to go. Make sure that someone is outside when the kids are out. Take turns as parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey