Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 11:22 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,658 times

Advertisements

So for the millions who are fleeing NJ, where are you thinking of moving to?

I actually want to move back into the state part time, when I retire.

If things work out like I hope I want to move to the Jersey shore during the warm weather and fly south during the cold.

I don't like winter anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 03:58 PM

12 posts, read 11,448 times
After 40+ years in Bergen County, left NJ in 2016 for San Diego, CA.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:37 PM

414 posts, read 359,728 times
Moved to Vegas last year but come back to the NJ shore for the entire summer. Cost of living and taxes were not a major consideration for my move. Moreso I just had enough of the NY-metro area grind in general - an opportunity to relocate for work presented itself and it was time for a change. A major factor was better access to outdoor recreation and better weather.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:30 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,153,663 times
Moved to Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida in 2015 from Wyckoff and we absolutely love it here.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:14 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,495,103 times
I am still in college, so I still live at home with parents here in New Jersey as a sophomore. Obviously, I cannot live on my own yet until I graduate college and find a career. I was born here and I grew up here. I used to love snow and humidity when I was a little kid, but starting after middle school, I started hating the climate here in the east coast. I don't like needing a snowblower and wasting an hour or two cleaning snow. I do not like things about New Jersey in particular: The layout of New Jersey, the somewhat ugly scenery and its trees, its narrow roads filled with potholes, the traffic, overpopulation (8 million people is too much for its size, so the state is dense), overdeveloped state, and too expensive. I would also like to get away from parents, the nosiness of my family and my hometown, tired of my parents' house phone ringings, etc. I would like a better quality of life not only as a location, but as in personal life.

It seems like people go to warmer climates for retirement, but I am young and I would like to go somewhere in the Pacific Northwest (preferably Washington or Oregon) and spend the rest of my life in a better climate. I would not want to suffer my entire youth and remainder of life in a bad climate and I would not save the better climate for retirement. Pacific Northwest has no humidity and they get significantly less snowfall than New Jersey. I am applying for summer internships out west for the summer vacation after this school year. The reason for that is to get away from spending time in a humid New Jersey summer and to network with employers that can help me land a career out west in the future.

I also thought about Northern California, but the issue is California is way too expensive and the only reason why I would consider California is because I have my two first cousins there who are my age, my mom's brother, and my maternal grandparents (well they are elderly, so we cannot count that).

Old 11-15-2017, 11:48 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
This is funny. Most of the US is humid, and most of the US gets snow. It has snowed in Florida. It doesn't happen often, though. My sister lives outside of Seattle. It's cloudy for months on end and drizzles more often than not. I've been there twice during a heat wave. My sister swears that I bring them with me. It was 95 and humid. They also have the occasional quake.

Having lived in PA, NJ, NC, and for shorter periods of time, SC, GA MO, and CA, I don't think the weather in the Mid-Atlantic is too bad.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:40 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,495,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
This is funny. Most of the US is humid, and most of the US gets snow. It has snowed in Florida. It doesn't happen often, though. My sister lives outside of Seattle. It's cloudy for months on end and drizzles more often than not. I've been there twice during a heat wave. My sister swears that I bring them with me. It was 95 and humid. They also have the occasional quake.

Having lived in PA, NJ, NC, and for shorter periods of time, SC, GA MO, and CA, I don't think the weather in the Mid-Atlantic is too bad.
The US and Canada are great countries, but I strongly hate the climates except for the west. In my opinion, I think the only 3 states that have decent weather are California, Oregon, and Washington and also those are coastal states, which means the ocean regulates their seasons to moderate seasons. I am shocked it snowed in Florida. When my mom grew up in San Francisco Bay Area, during the 1970s or 1980s, it did snow in San Francisco Bay Area and my grandfather did shovel snow at the time.

Honestly I do not know where to go to if there were no states other than the west.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:21 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
My wife and I are kicking it about as to how and where we spend our years after I hang up the career, which is fast approaching, and our son's 2018 graduation from college.

We will be moving primarily because we look forward to a whole new scene. What we currently enjoy about the life we have in NJ, we're confident we'll can it find elsewhere.

Maybe rent in a couple of places just for the experience (I'd like to check out NH but she's wary of their winters, she's thinking a year in the Keys. Not a big fan of hot and humid but a year there would be pretty fun, I think. Maybe do both).

Just kicking about ideas and knowing we have plenty of options is quite enjoyable.

Eventually we'll end up in a state with four seasons, hilly to mountainous, in an affluent suburb outside of a city, barring some major catastrophe.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:30 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

If things work out like I hope I want to move to the Jersey shore during the warm weather and fly south during the cold.

Many ,many people are doing the same thing.For me Winter is fine as long as I am retired and don't have to go to work.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:44 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

Hello there, fellow Snowbird!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey