Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 06:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times

Advertisements

You're just getting old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 06:54 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
Have been living in Bergen County since I was a child.
The last 5 years it has become unbearable.
NY TLC plates all over driving aggressively.
Massive traffic jams,lots of NY plates(and NJ) aggressively tailgating.
Yesterday went to Panera Bread on Route 4 and believe it or not walking in the parking lot a guy was tailgating me!!!
It was a first ..guy walking about 3 feet behind me.
It seems most people are always in such a rush they have become animals.
Ever see people that walk to the Train station?
They are walking very briskly or running.
Not sure how the amount of Narcan rescues compares to other areas but it seems pretty high.

Granted the jobs are here in NJ and with relatively easy access to NYC for work it is a plus,but it seems like the quality of life may be better elsewhere.
You have just answered your own query.

Bergen county has been a "bedroom" suburban community of NYC since the GWB went up and that pace has quickened over past few decades.

This and or what counts as "keeping up with the Joneses" has changed over the years.

Maybe back in your day having one car (a Caddy) may have been seen as having "arrived", now it's one or two BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, etc.....

Old 11-26-2017, 08:06 AM

532 posts, read 1,465,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Morris County is almost just as bad.

Sussex is a little better, but you'll still run into your crazy SUV drivers there too.

Really..Does Morris have lots of aggressive tailgaters?

Other than the tailgaters the need to build on almost every bit of vacant land really gives Bergen a city feeling.

Morris is definitely more open.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:53 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
Really..Does Morris have lots of aggressive tailgaters?

Other than the tailgaters the need to build on almost every bit of vacant land really gives Bergen a city feeling.

Morris is definitely more open.
Absolutely. I work there and deal with it almost everyday. Sadly the aggressive tailgating seems to occurs everywhere in Northern NJ.

They're building townhouses and condos in many towns. It definitely has more open space, especially in the southern and western part of the county, but it's growing. It'll probably be as jammed packed as Bergen within a few decades unless there's a major economic downturn.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:41 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,549 times
There were always families with money in Bergen county, esp in towns like Ridgewood, Allendale etc, but in many towns you had a good mix of white collar and blue, you had business exec's living alongside fathers that had more blue collar jobs. It seems you don't have that anymore and everyone is either a professional (doctor/lawyer/executive) or has their own business.

Perhaps its just a sign of the times and development and change that has occurred in the U.S. esp in areas so close to NYC and good high paying jobs.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:24 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney89 View Post
Rural sussex county is your best bet
No! Stay out. We are mean! Growl. Sparta cops will give you a ticket then bears will eat you.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:31 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You have just answered your own query.

Bergen county has been a "bedroom" suburban community of NYC since the GWB went up and that pace has quickened over past few decades.

This and or what counts as "keeping up with the Joneses" has changed over the years.

Maybe back in your day having one car (a Caddy) may have been seen as having "arrived", now it's one or two BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, etc.....

I think a new Tesla(not the new basic model) is actually the new status symbol. There are very few around but many people want it...

Old 11-27-2017, 10:18 AM

332 posts, read 522,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I grew up in Oradell, and was looking to possible move back to Bergen County when my family and I do relocate to the U.S. My brothers who still live in the area told me its much more fast paced and upscale these days. Keeping up with the Joneses, majority of stay at home mom's shooting around town in their BMW's, and just a more superficial crowd these days compared with the 80's and 90's.
Luxury has gotten cheaper. In 1990 a base BMW cost 2x a Toyota Camry. Today it's only 1.5x

Old 11-27-2017, 10:42 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Absolutely. I work there and deal with it almost everyday. Sadly the aggressive tailgating seems to occurs everywhere in Northern NJ.

They're building townhouses and condos in many towns. It definitely has more open space, especially in the southern and western part of the county, but it's growing. It'll probably be as jammed packed as Bergen within a few decades unless there's a major economic downturn.
It's everywhere in New Jersey. Even ten or fifteen years ago. I've been tailgated, honked at, and illegally passed in rural areas when there was no traffic.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:45 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,862 times
If you think tailgating is bad in Bergen County, you should see Maryland and Northern Virginia. Literally have felt like cars are trying to ram me off the road almost daily. And merging...people down here just point the nose of their car into the next lane and hope you get out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey