Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 8,204 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. My girlfriend and I are most likely going to be moving to Jersey this summer. I'll be commuting to midtown Manhattan (by public transportation) and she will be commuting to New Brunswick (probably by car).

We are in our mid-late 20's and we don't want to be too suburban and we want to be close to a decent nightlife - we don't need to go clubbing or drink all night every night, but good restaurants and a few decent bars. I grew up in Manhattan and I love being able to walk everywhere - grocery store, deli, nightlife - so I'd like to stay in that type of location. Safety is also a concern as my girlfriend will be coming and going at odd hours (graduate student). I'm thinking Hoboken, but I'm curious what the commute would be like to New Brunswick.

I'd appreciate your thoughts or any other suggestions for a (relatively) young couple who doesn't want to sacrifice a decent night life but can't afford Manhattan and has to live in NJ for financial aid/scholarship reasons.

Ideally, we'd like a 1BR + den or a decent sized 1BR in a modern building (she REALLY wants a washer and dryer IN the apt)
Budget could go as high as $1800 or so

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
You can look at Maplewood/South Orange; hubby works in New Brunswick and commutes from here every day. We are on the Midtown Direct so you can get right into the city.

Also; look in New Brunswick! I am not sure the length of the commute into NYC, but it is going through a great revival; it is worth a look!

Old 03-31-2008, 02:58 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,951 times
Rahway is sort of in the middle between NYC and New Brunswick, and on the train line that goes directly to each. There are quite a few new apartment buildings downtown, convenient to the train station.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:04 PM

253 posts, read 1,266,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycomelately View Post
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. My girlfriend and I are most likely going to be moving to Jersey this summer. I'll be commuting to midtown Manhattan (by public transportation) and she will be commuting to New Brunswick (probably by car).

We are in our mid-late 20's and we don't want to be too suburban and we want to be close to a decent nightlife - we don't need to go clubbing or drink all night every night, but good restaurants and a few decent bars. I grew up in Manhattan and I love being able to walk everywhere - grocery store, deli, nightlife - so I'd like to stay in that type of location. Safety is also a concern as my girlfriend will be coming and going at odd hours (graduate student). I'm thinking Hoboken, but I'm curious what the commute would be like to New Brunswick.

I'd appreciate your thoughts or any other suggestions for a (relatively) young couple who doesn't want to sacrifice a decent night life but can't afford Manhattan and has to live in NJ for financial aid/scholarship reasons.

Ideally, we'd like a 1BR + den or a decent sized 1BR in a modern building (she REALLY wants a washer and dryer IN the apt)
Budget could go as high as $1800 or so

Thanks!
Hoboken may be good for you. She'll either take the NJ Turnpike South in the mornings or the GSParkway South in the morining. Let me tell you, it's going to be an easy commute for her in the mornings and in the evenings a little more congested, but fairly easy.

In the moring, most of the traffic on the Turnpike and Parkway are headed North, with her heading South to New Brunswick, she'll dodge the traffic adn the same in the evening, although it's a little more congested. You'll be right at the train station and ferry, so you'll be good too! I think Hoboken would be a good move.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:07 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
I agree mostly with Girl, the commute south from Hoboken won't be so bad, but coming north in the evening could slow her down a bit. Public transportation from that area into the city is fairly easy via the PATH. If you're thinking of Hoboken, you should also consider Jersey City. The commute will be just as easy and you'll be able to find something more affordable. IMO, Hoboken is fairly over-rated and over-priced.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 8,204 times
Thanks everyone. I guess I'm more concerned with the traffic issue for her driving south to New Brunswick (and back in the evenings). I'm fairly confident that my comute won't be bad - the office is very close to Penn Station.

I was under the impression that Hoboken was cheaper than Jersey City though?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:18 PM

30 posts, read 97,555 times
Default Morristown

Have you considered Morristown? It's got decent nightlife and is very commutable to Rutgers (my alma mater!). A bit farther from NYC but definitely reachable by train - it's a mid-town direct line.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:01 PM

7 posts, read 25,999 times
I commute about twice a week from the Newport section of Jersey City to North Brunswick/East Brunswick. Door to door the drive takes me one hour and five minutes each way. The worst part of the commute is exiting and entering at Exit 9 in New Brunswick on the turnpike. After paying the turnpike toll, all the roads exiting the turnpike are bumper to bumper for about half a mile. It takes about ten to fifteen minutes to drive that half mile. The same thing happens going home --all the roads leading to the entrance ramp of the turnpike get congested. However, once you're actually on the turnpike, it's pretty smooth sailing.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
sped--have you tried Route 1? Hubby uses that to avoid that hole cluster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey