Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 06:42 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What do you think of this? Why are suburban residents resistant to minorities?
We're not. Livingston is 24% minority. South Orange is 40% minority. Maplewood is 34% minority. Montclair is 38% minority. Even Millburn is 20% minority. And Edison is 56% minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 09:24 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
The other thing that always bothers me when minorities and diversity comes up as an "issue" is that all too often people think the two are synonymous. I have white neighbors who bring more of a difference to our community than the non-white neighbors do. The two non-white families living on our block were born here in America, grew up in the area, our kids all do the same sports, we have similar traditions, etc. There are two white families who came from other countries (Russia and Belgium), have differing world views, have different traditions and celebrations, etc. Why do we always seem to make race the issue that's supposed to make us different?

Old 04-03-2018, 10:26 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
..... Why do we always seem to make race the issue that's supposed to make us different?
Because it's the easy, albeit lazy, way of approaching the issue. Modern diversity pretty much centers around melanin and genitals.

Approaching the issue as diversity of thoughts, ideals, view points and values takes more effort and tears down easy-to-assume stereotypes.

As swilliamsny posted earlier: "If you can afford a home here, and you maintain that home, and you respect property rights, then I don't care what dang color you are or what % is "minority". Start neglecting your home or doing things that will lower MY property value, and I'm not going to want you to live next to me, even if you're white. It's really that simple."

With me it is that simple.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp54321 View Post
; Why are suburban residents resistant to minorities? .
Where did you get such an idea?

What do you feel suburban residents must do to attract minorities?

Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
We could talk and argue and point out things about race all day, all month all year long,,,it's just a waste of time.

ONE thing I find VERY TACKY is calling ANYONE a MI EFFING NORITY,,,, argh thats like dragging fingernails across a chalkboard,,, yikes

No person is a minority.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:32 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
this is an american issue
Surprisingly, I think the Northeast is more segregated than southern states nowadays...

Old 04-04-2018, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 675 times
Well my views on this topic are as follows... Where you see more minorities is mostly low income , poverty stricken , inner city area's. The African American community's are riddled with crime an poor education , if they even choose to attend school. Most likely they join in gangs in their neighborhood's selling drugs , guns , ect.. I lived in Philadelphia for quite some time an this all was the case. Each section of the city has there own ethnic community. All the Hispanics live in one segregated part as did the Blacks an Oriental. For the low income community's so robbing an selling guns an drugs is there normal every day routine \ livelihoods it's all they know. The murder rates alone are astronomical , there are at least two murders a day an gun violence over territory. The whites live mostly outside of the city in the suburbs. Don't get me wrong you do have whites in the city as well but most are drug addicts or hookers. Downtown Philly is a melting pot. Temple university is actually located in a pretty ****ty area .. It's scary ... I've also been in state prison. The same applies there as well races stick together. In the event a race war was to break out in the prison for example the Hispanics stick with the whites rather then the blacks. Well that's my analysis on the situation an life experiences.. Thanks

Old 04-04-2018, 06:43 AM

123 posts, read 181,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
And Edison is 56% minority.
We need to stop calling people minorities. 56% is a majority. So what you have in Edison is a majority of a minority?!?! Oxymoron.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:05 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
You need to study the history of American home sales, especially a thing called "redlining" that prevented people of color from buying a house in certain areas.

Simply put, we're still dealing with those lines today established by insurance companies, it's not sociology, it was an outright racist policy that we're still dealing with.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:07 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp54321 View Post
I studied some sociology in college and I have come to informally see NJ as highly residentially segregated. Suburban communities in North Jersey look like they want to keep away from their communities minorities from urban areas such as Essex and Hudson County among others. This in my opinion has to do with fights over affordable housing. Urban areas in Hudson County, with a few exceptions, have very few white non Hispanics. It is as though suburban areas dont want minorities in their towns. Therefore, if you look at a census map, so will see that certain areas are heavily minority and others not. strong lines of demarcations.

What do you think of this? Why are suburban residents resistant to minorities?

I think this is worth discussing.

This is just my own personal opinions.
Example of one sided liberal pap taught in our schools.

Ah, grasshaoppa there can be only one conclusion, RACISM!

Any opposing argument in a pretend discussion will be considered racist and thus any opposing argument discarded. This leaves the proposed initial causes confirmed as fact.

Nj the most densely populated state in the nation, controlled by liberal democrats for generations, taxed to death for social programs is racist.

No individual. no matter what flavor, is denied housing anywhere they choose.

Do you think that one reason to oppose forced housing is the destruction of open space, tax burden and elimination of dwindling wildlife habitat. Cities need to be revitalized to make it attractive to people who otherwise move to the suburbs where they really don't want to be. then follows the traffic congestion, and municipal services which all require increased property tax. the muni desire for ratables is outpaced by the cost to property owners to support them.

So much for the liberal version of sociology where all problems are rooted in racism.

Reminds me of a Far Side cartoon which depicted a veterinary manual listing pathologies and remedies. Page after page of maladies all had one remedy.... euthanize! So it is with sociology, but instead of offering remedies it blames each malady on racism.

Perhaps if you do more research you can get a government grant showing human caused global warming is found to be a contributing factor into racism in a state run by liberals and the general opposition to forced government housing. Forced, carries with it a companion called, resistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey