Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 03:28 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
You do know that Short hills is just a section of Millburn, right?
Possibly not!
After all, we frequently get posts from people who mistakenly think that the northern part of Edison Township is a separate town by the name of North Edison, with--supposedly--its own school system, its own police force, etc.

Yes, Short Hills is merely a census-designated locale within Millburn Township, and the kids who reside in Short Hills attend Millburn schools, just like the kids who live in other parts of Millburn Township.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Gup Gup started this thread

115 posts, read 204,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Possibly not!
After all, we frequently get posts from people who mistakenly think that the northern part of Edison Township is a separate town by the name of North Edison, with--supposedly--its own school system, its own police force, etc.

Yes, Short Hills is merely a census-designated locale within Millburn Township, and the kids who reside in Short Hills attend Millburn schools, just like the kids who live in other parts of Millburn Township.

Aware
SH = 07078

Old 06-20-2018, 06:45 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gup View Post
Aware
SH = 07078
So you only want to compare Short Hills and not all of Millburn?

Old 06-20-2018, 08:51 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
The differences are really splitting hairs, to be honest. School rankings shuffle, especially if you've got a toddler right now, you have no idea who the principal is even going to be in fifteen years. So don't depend too much on them, find thehouse you like in the town you like.

It's like "investing" in your home in order to sell it in 20 years, the market might drop out and you don't get the return you wanted. So don't buy a house primarily as an investment, buy it as a home to live in. Schools or anything else are the same way.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:55 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
Just stay away from Westfield. Lots of annoying things. You have to pay for your own trash. $460/year. Separate sewer fee that is $340/year. costs $50/year to dispose of your grass clippings. And forget about doing work on your house. The town goes out of their way to delay all permit requests because the people that run the town do not want anything to change. They are in the process of working on a new "Master Plan" that I am sure will prevent things that most people feel are reasonable.

They did the same thing with stores downtown and delaying permits. Now a large portion of the downtown are just vacant buildings and they cannot figure out why. Took the people that opened a kidsville over a year to get all the permits in line and they could never recover from all of the carry costs.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:01 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
Just stay away from Westfield. Lots of annoying things.
When I lived in Cranford, back in the early '80s, many of the locals referred to our town as "Westfield without the attitude".
Perhaps, things haven't changed appreciably since then.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:11 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
If I were picking from among those choices, it would be Summit. No real defined reason without thinking way too hard about it. We're in Berkeley Heights, though, and I wouldn't leave it for any of the others.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Gup Gup started this thread

115 posts, read 204,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
If I were picking from among those choices, it would be Summit. No real defined reason without thinking way too hard about it. We're in Berkeley Heights, though, and I wouldn't leave it for any of the others.

Why Summit?

Old 06-21-2018, 03:35 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gup View Post
Why Summit?
My question to you is why not New Providence? It has what Summit and Millburn have and is less expensive as is Chatham NJ.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:35 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
My question to you is why not New Providence? It has what Summit and Millburn have and is less expensive as is Chatham NJ.
I was responding based on the three towns the OP listed. New Providence wasn't one of them. Why Summit? I like the "feel" of it, which is why I didn't really give a reason. It's hard to quantify feel without a lot of words and thought, and I'm working on a 50 hour week right now.

So, very briefly... I like the neighborhoods and the fact that overall it's a little more socio-economically diverse. I like the downtown better than Westfield's, but will admit I'm not that familiar with what Short Hills has to offer in terms of a typical downtown. Summit has lots of direct trains if you want to go into the city. None of these things is really THE reason why, though. Just my own preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey