Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 01:04 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,268,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Ah, back to attacking the usual scapegoats, e.g. teachers.

How about no tax breaks for profitable corporations? No 30 year tax abatements?
Well it is the 125 BIlLION in pension obligations that is causing the problem although it is for all government employees not just teachers. Not sure how we can possibly meet this obligation. Do you know how much can be raised by increased corporate taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 05:44 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,210,968 times
Quote:

Do you think that the teachers get all the monies the teachers union takes in?
If you think so someone is taking you "for a long ride".
I don't blame teachers as they get a minuscule amount verses the coffers of the NJ teachers union mafia.
I've spoken to MANY teachers and get the same rundown told to my face.
Also have spoken to a few people who are "connected" and told me things I promised never to tell which also made my 3/16" long hair stiffen, but all I can say is that there's A LOT that happens behind the scenes with many entities that wastes a lot of monies as well which will never be disclosed so NJ will imo NEVER dig itself out of the mess it's in and will only get worse.

Last edited by atgss; 07-20-2018 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: Added last sentence

Old 07-20-2018, 07:42 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,100,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Do you think that the teachers get all the monies the teachers union takes in?
If you think so someone is taking you "for a long ride".
I don't blame teachers as they get a minuscule amount verses the coffers of the NJ teachers union mafia.
I've spoken to MANY teachers and get the same rundown told to my face.
Also have spoken to a few people who are "connected" and told me things I promised never to tell which also made my 3/16" long hair stiffen, but all I can say is that there's A LOT that happens behind the scenes with many entities that wastes a lot of monies as well which will never be disclosed so NJ will imo NEVER dig itself out of the mess it's in and will only get worse.

This goes back to the insane amount of municipalities, each governed be elected politicians who all need complain contributions and aspire to be elected somewhere better. Then of course there are county governments and state governments. All in the state of 9 million. I wonder what NJ ratio of politicians to taxpayers is...

Old 07-20-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Or how about a soda tax that will further discourage drinking of these harmful beverages. How about making developers contribute to infrastructure/schools for the development they built. How about carbon tax to discourage pollution?

I think teacher's salaries should be frozen for the time being. I think they are fair at the moment and teachers do not need raises for quite a few years...

Old 07-20-2018, 09:05 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,334,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Well it is the 125 BIlLION in pension obligations that is causing the problem although it is for all government employees not just teachers. Not sure how we can possibly meet this obligation. Do you know how much can be raised by increased corporate taxes?
The great schools of NJ produced highly educated voters who voted for this condition. The irony of this circumstance provides quite a nice giggle.

Educated voters doesn't necessarily translate to well-run state. Nonetheless, the pension is a ticking time bomb. Needs to be funded by these residents. They should step up. Hopefully, the Gov raises taxes substantially to meet these obligations.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
The great schools of NJ produced highly educated voters who voted for this condition. The irony of this circumstance provides quite a nice giggle.

Educated voters doesn't necessarily translate to well-run state. Nonetheless, the pension is a ticking time bomb. Needs to be funded by these residents. They should step up. Hopefully, the Gov raises taxes substantially to meet these obligations.
Are you being sarcastic? This is a very high taxed state as it is. I would be OK with some small tax increases to better fund infrastructure but not the huge ones required to fully fund pension obligations. I think the governor should make the payments that are possible but should also try to negotiate with the unions to somehow restructure/renegotiate payments.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:27 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,880,184 times
That's a great plan. I'll let your boss know that you'll be in next week and then they only need to pay you half as much and then renegotiate about that after a few years as well because it would cost him too much.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:42 AM

11,367 posts, read 16,746,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Or how about a soda tax that will further discourage drinking of these harmful beverages. How about making developers contribute to infrastructure/schools for the development they built. How about carbon tax to discourage pollution?

I think teacher's salaries should be frozen for the time being. I think they are fair at the moment and teachers do not need raises for quite a few years...
Not a teacher...but 3....2....1

Old 07-20-2018, 09:56 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,323,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
You could pay it if you want to, many will not.
People are fleeing CA for the same reasons.
At this rate NJ will become the CA of the east and that will be a shame.

Why not start cutting spending verses spending more - yeah a foreign idea beneath many.
The teachers union needs to go on a strict $ diet too.
BANG !

Except that.... teachers unions never go on diets! It's good to work 180 days a year also.

next up: someone is about to post how teachers spend their entire summers preparing for next year's school, and how they work "many more hours" after school hours.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:06 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,880,184 times
If it's so easy why don't you do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: