Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:51 AM

14 posts, read 165,047 times

Advertisements

To give you all warning.
Also- anyone on here have the same unfortunate experience?
I'm wondering how long it takes to get the license re-instated.

Absolutely no clue on the Motor Vehicle website, no answer to e-mail, too long a wait on telephone.

I had ONE unpaid parking ticket [by the way, if you visit Newark, they have a new parking meter system- every other meter gets the coins. Where I parked, the meter was unmarked - found out later it was supposed to be marked with an arrow, pointing to the next meter.]
I found nowhere to put the money, no sign, no knowledge, wound up with a ticket. I wrote a letter to the Newark Muni Court explaining why I didn't think I deserved a ticket. Of course they ignored it. So I ignored the ticket. Which was stupid on my part. Until I got notified that my license is suspended.

I am in favor of license suspension for DUI. I didn't even have a moving violation. So now I pay the fine plus penalty plus $100 reinstatement fee.

Really sucks.
Anybody have any experience along these lines?

george
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 06:59 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,014 times
My experience happened when I moved from clifton to Newton. Newton has no overnight parking laws, so when we first moved into town we did not know about this and with the move and stuff on our first night I received a parking ticket. Since all my information was still at my old address I did not get all the notices of the ticket (Post Office was not forwarding my mail which is another story). To make a long story short, in the end, I had to go to the Wayne office and pay for the ticket and the reinstatement fee, what also ticked me off was that they didn't take CC's and I didn't have enough cash on me, so I had to go and get money out of an ATM. I thought about fighting and pleading the "I just moved into town and it was my first night and IDK about the law" but that would've been just another hassle I didn't want to get involved with.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:09 AM

Alex,
so you were able to get the re-instatement at your local DMV?
I thot I had to mail $ to Trenton, if I can do it locally, might be quicker.

thanks,
ellen

Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekat22 View Post
Alex,
so you were able to get the re-instatement at your local DMV?
I thot I had to mail $ to Trenton, if I can do it locally, might be quicker.

thanks,
ellen
No, I had to first pay the ticket at my local municipal bldg and then take the receipt to the Wayne office for the reinstatement fee. My local DMV did not do/handle reinstatment at the time (I don't know about now).

Old 04-02-2008, 07:15 AM

Did you get reinstated immediately?

Old 04-02-2008, 07:18 AM

Yes, all on the same day. Make sure to bring your receipt to your DMV office.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:27 AM

well that's the first good news I've had re this.

Hope it works that way for me.

thanks,
have a good one,
ellen

Old 04-02-2008, 08:36 AM

253 posts, read 1,267,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
No, I had to first pay the ticket at my local municipal bldg and then take the receipt to the Wayne office for the reinstatement fee. My local DMV did not do/handle reinstatment at the time (I don't know about now).

As long as you have your ticket in front of you - any ticket that is linked to your license, you can do everything on line. Pay your ticket, the restoration fee and once you're finished, just take your receipt to Wayne or Trenton's DMV and you're good.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
As long as you have your ticket in front of you - any ticket that is linked to your license, you can do everything on line. Pay your ticket, the restoration fee and once you're finished, just take your receipt to Wayne or Trenton's DMV and you're good.

TY for that piece of 411. I didn't know that about the restoration fee online, I knew about paying your tickets online (which I've done). Like I said, back when I had to do all that, those options were not available at the time which is going back a few years.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:14 AM

39 posts, read 157,357 times
How long ago did you get the ticket? I didn't know your license could be suspended after one.. I knew this one guy who was actually arrested for having so many by cops who were at his apartment investigating other allegations, and my landlord's son accumulated about $2,000 in the Paterson and Hackensack areas because he thought he was invincible and could park wherever the hell he wanted (other people's driveways, handicapped spaces, overnight anywhere in Bergen County without calling ahead, etc..).. went to get his license renewed, and he had to come up with the money before they'd do it.

I've only heard of the extreme situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey