Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:18 AM

41 posts, read 79,673 times

Advertisements

Sorry for another moving thread. We are an Asian couple and are planning to move to North NJ. We have a kid in Kindergarten and we have the following parameters.

1. Commute to NYC as short as possible

2. Great school district

3. Good Asian population > 15% (No racist feelings - just want my son to feel comfortable at least initially. Dont even know if he cares about that but we worry a little as we had a couple of bad experiences.)

4. Rent - Less than $3k (buying is not an option for now)

Based on these parameters and a significant amount of online research we have shortlisted it to these four towns - Millburn, Ridgewood, Tenafly and Fair lawn.

If residents could shed some light on our thinking and provide some insights we would be very grateful. Please suggest if we should add some other place to our list too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 11:52 AM

173 posts, read 216,217 times
Where in NYC do you commute to?

Old 01-07-2019, 11:54 AM

My wife goes to Water St (lower Manhattan).

Old 01-07-2019, 11:54 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,048 times
What's you guys being Asian got to do with your decision on where to move?

Old 01-07-2019, 12:11 PM

We are moving in from a almost all "white" state and in his Pre-K and K he had some bad experiences regarding his skin color. So we are looking at places where he has a few more kids of his race (NJ might be very different, so this is probably not needed).

Old 01-07-2019, 12:20 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,399,531 times
You might be able to find something in River Edge and Oradell, also.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:36 PM

Are River Edge and Oradell schools as good as the others?

Old 01-07-2019, 01:28 PM

53 posts, read 71,305 times
I live in the Glenwood section of Short Hills (although will be moving to Europe shortly); it is a part of Millburn township with a seperate zipcode (07078) and the properties are generally not as large or expensive as other parts of Short Hills. OTOH Short Hills is considered ‘more presigious’ than Millburn.

We originally moved here from south east Asia nearly two decades ago. Back then our street was all caucasians (Wasps/Italian-Americans/Jewish Americans) just like the rest of the neighborhood. In the past five years or so, almost every property which has been sold in our street has been purchased by (mostly) Chinese, some Indians and a Korean family. Just like we did, they have moved for the stellar Millburn schools, walk to nearby shops and downtown, the great commute on the Midtown-Direct and Hoboken trains (six minute walk from our house to the train station!) and just 15 minutes to Newark airport. Another bonus is the easy access to I-78/I-95/Route 24.....and IKEA lol!

I understand that there was a website which a couple of years ago listed the Glenwood elementary school as the ‘best’ in the State if not one of the best in the USA - I assume word has got around and as I know how much premium Asian parents put on a good education, has drawn more and more Asians to the township. By the way....do go into the Millburn public library any school day afternoon from around 3pm.....it is full of kids getting tutored, waiting for their parents to pick them up when they get off the train or pick them up in the car....

Old 01-07-2019, 01:46 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,399,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiroop View Post
Are River Edge and Oradell schools as good as the others?

Yes. There might be small differences at the HS level, although, I would not consider Fair Lawn in the same group as Ridgewood/Tenafly/Millburn. In Bergen County you can pick almost any town north of Rt 4 and have an excellent school system.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:24 PM

53 posts, read 71,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiroop View Post
Sorry for another moving thread. We are an Asian couple and are planning to move to North NJ. We have a kid in Kindergarten and we have the following parameters.

1. Commute to NYC as short as possible

2. Great school district

3. Good Asian population > 15% (No racist feelings - just want my son to feel comfortable at least initially. Dont even know if he cares about that but we worry a little as we had a couple of bad experiences.)

4. Rent - Less than $3k (buying is not an option for now)

Based on these parameters and a significant amount of online research we have shortlisted it to these four towns - Millburn, Ridgewood, Tenafly and Fair lawn.

If residents could shed some light on our thinking and provide some insights we would be very grateful. Please suggest if we should add some other place to our list too.
I’ve just re-read point #4

If looking in Millburn/Short Hills it may be difficult to find a place for under $3k though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey