Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:56 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times

Advertisements

Lets not hijack the thread ,this is suppose to be about a "rain tax".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 AM

585 posts, read 492,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
"I left office with a lower deficit than when I entered office." Said NO Republican President since Eisenhower.
and that helps with the current situation how exactly? It's all dems in there now....

Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Good to know! How about posting some sources showing how the claim was debunked? Preferably with numbers? We'll be waiting!
look at your "sources." they are all opinion articles without the numbers. the main issue is that it includes numbers that are earned benefits vs public assistance like welfare/medicaid spending. they lumped in military spending, social security benefits, government employees, etc. which makes the whole thing useless. do you deny that? if you dont deny that, no need for me to drill down into the numbers; its debunked on the face of it.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
look at your "sources." they are all opinion articles without the numbers. the main issue is that it includes numbers that are earned benefits vs public assistance like welfare/medicaid spending. they lumped in military spending, social security benefits, government employees, etc. which makes the whole thing useless. do you deny that? if you dont deny that, no need for me to drill down into the numbers; its debunked on the face of it.
The above is where the "taker states" argument always falls apart. I live in Maryland which gets back @ $1.35 for every dollar. I can almost guarantee it would be a "taker" state if not for the federal employees who live here, the direct military spending and the government contractors income (NAS PAX is huge on the last).

Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The above is where the "taker states" argument always falls apart. I live in Maryland which gets back @ $1.35 for every dollar. I can almost guarantee it would be a "taker" state if not for the federal employees who live here, the direct military spending and the government contractors income (NAS PAX is huge on the last).
i dont know if the numbers work or not overall but the statement is absurd without using the right numbers. the fact that i havent seen it done with the right numbers tells me that it isnt as useful when done properly.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:27 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
and that helps with the current situation how exactly? It's all dems in there now....
Well, the current pension crisis in NJ was started by a Republican, Christie Whitman, who got into office and enacted a tax cut. This resulted in a budget shortfall, so to "repair" the shortfall, she stopped the states portion of donations to the pension fund. This was compounded by further governors, Corzine was the first governor after Whitman to donate. Then we get Chris Christie in office, who works out a "compromise" deal with State pension employees. Then when it came time for him to fulfill the states side of the bargain, (after getting concessions from the unions), he reneged on the deal, claiming it was, "unconstitutional". Like Whitman when it comes time for CC to collect his state pension, I'm sure he will!

Old 02-11-2019, 04:57 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Well, the current pension crisis in NJ was started by a Republican, Christie Whitman, who got into office and enacted a tax cut. This resulted in a budget shortfall, so to "repair" the shortfall, she stopped the states portion of donations to the pension fund.
Yes, that began our state's descent into fiscal peril, but then Whitman compounded the problem by "borrowing" from the state's pension funds, and she never repaid the "borrowed" money. Any objective assessment of that situation would have to label it as theft from pension funds that had previously been funded to a greater extent than was required by law before Chrissy Baby stole tens of millions from those funds. Post-Whitman, they were no longer funded to that same comfortable extent.

Then, when she left office in order to become Dubya's EPA Administrator, she was replaced by Donald DeFrancesco, who authorized a fiscally-unwise boost in pension benefits in order to win more votes for GOP candidates. That crass action by DeFrancesco was essentially the final nail in the coffin for the formerly well-funded state pension funds.

You really have to admire those "fiscally-responsible" Republicans.
NOT...

Old 02-11-2019, 05:44 PM

a guy who runs a facebook page im a member of posted this article. it seemed interesting and relevant to me. i dont know what is presently done for this stuff; whether or not this is something innovative or not.

Australia Found A Simple And Helpful Way To Save Water From Plastic Pollution

Old 02-11-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Well, the current pension crisis in NJ was started by a Republican, Christie Whitman, who got into office and enacted a tax cut. This resulted in a budget shortfall, so to "repair" the shortfall, she stopped the states portion of donations to the pension fund. This was compounded by further governors, Corzine was the first governor after Whitman to donate. Then we get Chris Christie in office, who works out a "compromise" deal with State pension employees. Then when it came time for him to fulfill the states side of the bargain, (after getting concessions from the unions), he reneged on the deal, claiming it was, "unconstitutional". Like Whitman when it comes time for CC to collect his state pension, I'm sure he will!
Little reading comprehension would do wonders. Our representation in Washington that makes us a provider state are all dems. When was the last time we elected a Repub to the senate Sherlock? and where have we ended up, as one of only 10 provider states...and its going to get worse.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, that began our state's descent into fiscal peril, but then Whitman compounded the problem by "borrowing" from the state's pension funds, and she never repaid the "borrowed" money. Any objective assessment of that situation would have to label it as theft from pension funds that had previously been funded to a greater extent than was required by law before Chrissy Baby stole tens of millions from those funds. Post-Whitman, they were no longer funded to that same comfortable extent.

Then, when she left office in order to become Dubya's EPA Administrator, she was replaced by Donald DeFrancesco, who authorized a fiscally-unwise boost in pension benefits in order to win more votes for GOP candidates. That crass action by DeFrancesco was essentially the final nail in the coffin for the formerly well-funded state pension funds.

You really have to admire those "fiscally-responsible" Republicans.
NOT...
I guess your a big fan of AOC and those unwilling to work....you'll want to pay for those folks too right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey