Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,780 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a condo off of Cookman ave. I have been looking to buy a weekend get-a-way for 2 years. Due to affordability, my first concentration was in Long Branch. It's very nice, but for what I can afford I will not get a lot for my money. And though Long Branch is nice, and Pier Village is beautiful, I still did not that fuzzy, warm feeling.

On a fluke, I drove through Asbury Park and noticed all of the construction. I contacted a local AP realitor I had a long conversation, eventually making an appointment for a tour and to see some condos for the following weekend.

I loved what I saw. It felt right. Cookman Ave is thriving with unique shops, coffee houses and fine restaurants. I also saw a unit that I love and is affordable. I saw a beautiful old house renovated into a very trendy hotel. The Boardwalk looked great, clean, and the new coffee shop under construction, on the south end of the Boardwalk, was being built with marble and granit. How can the area not be on an up swing. People are investing a lot of money into the place.

On Cookman, I saw BMW, Mercedes, Mini Coopers, and other really nice cars.

AP reminds me of Hoboken but with a beach. For me and my family (more me) it's a good fit. I get that warm fuzzy feeling.

None the less, I am afraid. Everyone is saying I'm crazy and it's a crap shoot. I am afraid to trust my instincts...and my instincts are telling me that AP is really turning around this time. I think my investment will grow.....but I'm still afraid. I should mention that I almost bought in the Santander 20 years ago.

I have been doing my research and the crime is so high. Will I be afraid to walk home - one block to my condo - after having dinner. Will I be afraid to have my 14 year old son walk the 5 blocks to the beach. Will I be afraid to sit on my porch. Will I be robbed when I'm not there or worse, when I am there?

Please, anyone who is living there, who took a chance and bought....are you sorry? I would really love to hear what you have to say.

Are they any other families in the area.

Since I missed the beach season, what kind of people are on the beach. Will I be putting my blanket down next to a dirty needle.

Anyway, I hope to hear from anyone who will post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 12:27 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
My grandparents lived in Asbury, on Deal Lake, until I was about 10. This was in the early 80s when Asbury was, by far, at its worst. When the state hospitals closed down all of the old hotels in Asbury, Ocean Grove and even Bradley Beach were flooded with the mentally ill.

My family had a lot of connections to Asbury that kept us coming back for years. As an adult (in the late 90s) I lived in Bradley Beach and Allenhurst and spent plenty of time in Asbury Park, day and night. I watched the decline continue. I used to say, "yeah, i remember when there was a Howard Johnson's right here."

Northeast Asbury - the part of town between Deal and Sunset Lakes east of Main St. was never a bad neighborhood. It's always been a neighborhood of well kept victorians with well kept yards. People see the way Ocean Ave. and downtown used to look and thought that the whole town looked like that. In reality, all of the neighborhoods north of Asbury Ave. were decent places. it was never Interlaken or Deal but they were never the warzones that some people make them out to be.

The gay renaissance started when I was a kid. It kicked into high gear (Manhattan money) around 2000. The downtown redevelopment started in 2002/2003.

I go up there a few times a summer. I'll probably be up there next weekend. Like I've said, I've been hanging out on the Asbury boardwalk for as long as I can remember and never, ever have I seen what I've seen this summer.

The boardwalk is crowded. There is a respectable pub in Convention Hall with food I'd be interested in eating. There are police who are present but in the background - not aggressive and in your face. There is a cocktail lounge with big crowds. There are several restaurants that also draw big crowds.
You want to know what the crowd on the boardwalk is like? There's a boutique muffin shop and a furniture store full of men. If that doesn't scream "weekend escape from Chelsea" nothing will.

The restaurants - and the crowds - downtown are, from my perspective, nothing short of stunning.
I grew up with a mothballed downtown. My band used to practice at the Hot Dog House. It was the only place downtown opened past 5pm. To see restaurants, shops and bars that I'm interested in patronizing just blows my mind.

The time to buy there was 8 years ago. It's a done deal now. In 2000 I saw the seeds of change there that looked much different than the fits and starts that went on before. And, condo project after condo project, loft conversion after loft conversion, victorian rehab after victorian rehab, restaurant after restaurant some people have been telling me "nah, it's gonna be a long time." Stubborn people aren't going to stop being stubborn long enough to admit that they're wrong.

Check the home prices east of Main St nowadays.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,787 times
It is possible that the credit crisis/economy could work to APs advantage. People won't have the money to vacation or go to the beach elsewhere. Perhaps that is part of the reason for APs demise in the 70s and 80s. People had too many vacation options because we were all so "rich" all of a sudden. This winter local ski resorts did surprisingly well given the economy, because trips out west were too expensive. Could work that way for AP?

Just looking for the hopeful side of this debate.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 AM

612 posts, read 1,010,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philasurfer View Post
It is possible that the credit crisis/economy could work to APs advantage. People won't have the money to vacation or go to the beach elsewhere. Perhaps that is part of the reason for APs demise in the 70s and 80s. People had too many vacation options because we were all so "rich" all of a sudden. This winter local ski resorts did surprisingly well given the economy, because trips out west were too expensive. Could work that way for AP?

Just looking for the hopeful side of this debate.
there will not be one single town in the United State's who's conditions improve in the next couple of years. The country is in a recession and is teetering on the brinks of a depression. You need a good economy to revitalize a town. Asbury has way too many underlying problems. Drugs, crime, falling real estate. Their big condominium project got killed. Most of the stores they brought in were retail and restaurants, 2 industries which are also getting killed right now. Revitalization of Asbury has a zero percent chance in the next 5 years. Hoboken made it's comeback during one of the biggest bull markets this country ever saw.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,454 times
I've been watching AP for about 5 years and while I think it definitely went through a lull during the recession--momentum seems to be gaining again. I just spend the long July 4th weekend there and was impressed. I know that this is a late addition to this chain, but I think real estate there is about to pop.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatt1976 View Post
I've been watching AP for about 5 years and while I think it definitely went through a lull during the recession--momentum seems to be gaining again. I just spend the long July 4th weekend there and was impressed. I know that this is a late addition to this chain, but I think real estate there is about to pop.
Is there any chance I can buy real estate from you?

Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,975 times
My parents took a ride down to Asbury Park a few weekends ago and my father said he was very disappointed with what he saw after hearing so much about its renaissance. The wife and I drove through there briefly last night, after having a fine dinner at McLoone's and walking around Long Branch Pier Village, and I had a similar opinion. Long Branch, contrarily seems much more impressive and while it still has some seedy areas, you could definitely do better there.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
My parents took a ride down to Asbury Park a few weekends ago and my father said he was very disappointed with what he saw after hearing so much about its renaissance. The wife and I drove through there briefly last night, after having a fine dinner at McLoone's and walking around Long Branch Pier Village, and I had a similar opinion. Long Branch, contrarily seems much more impressive and while it still has some seedy areas, you could definitely do better there.
Its same with Long Branch or Newark or anywhere else in Urban Jersey. AP just started to rebound and then the recession hit , same with Long Branch , and most Urban Jersey. So now you have alot of undeveloped land sitting empty and making those towns and cities look bad when theres nothing you can do. As for the seedy areas Long Branch is going to take a while before thats dealt with , same with AP. AP plans on demolishing the public housing and some the blighted buildings west of the tracks. But the main focus like Long Branch is East of the tracks which has some big plans , some of which should restart in the fall. AP seems to riding off its upgraded flood and Storm surge protections which spared it from Sandy's wrath unlike its neighbors which were destoried. Developers seem to be more comfortable building in protected areas then non protected areas. Did you walk along the Broadwalk?

Old 08-18-2015, 12:40 PM

468 posts, read 426,076 times
It'll be interesting to see if Long Branch or AP will do better in the next 5 years.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranredd View Post
It'll be interesting to see if Long Branch or AP will do better in the next 5 years.
Funny that you revived this thread. I just finished reading this article on CNN Money from this morning...

The Once And Future Jewel Of The Jersey Shore: Historic, Multi-Billion-Dollar Redevelopment To Reshape, Reclaim, And Revive Asbury Park Waterfront
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey