Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:23 AM

259 posts, read 925,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
How about kitchen knives? Hand saws? Where does it end? Maybe some day, some seven year old will sever their infant sibling's hand by virtue using an olive fork repeatedly for 24 hours, because the parent of the child was in a chat room binge or playing Nintendo Wii for said period of time. The solution: ban the olive forks.

Do you see where I am going with this? Personal responsibility. Accountability. It goes hand in hand with liberty, and freedom. Here is a novel concept. When kids get to high school age, and the horomones begin to kick in, here's a class we can offer in lieu of music, gym, or some other elective: PARENTING! Yes, that's right. Teach them young how to be a parent. Example of curriculum: Lesson 1: The word 'NO'. Learn it, use it frequently. (That, and how to file a tax return, a bank reconcilation statement, etc) I think we've reached that point. We've had an entire generation of baby boomers who have pretty much imparted zero in the way of discipline and self-respect onto the next generation of Americans. We need a societal 'reboot' in this regard.
Actually, High Schools do teach this. It's not called "parenting" per say, but it does show the effects of having children, balancing a check book, looking for an apartment, getting a job, etc. Funny thing, it was taught by my gym teacher.

I think your examples are a bit extreme. I think your example regarding the discipline of baby boomers is only linked to maybe a handful of the nation. A lot of the baby boomers I know made sure their kids knew the value of a dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
Actually, High Schools do teach this. It's not called "parenting" per say, but it does show the effects of having children, balancing a check book, looking for an apartment, getting a job, etc. Funny thing, it was taught by my gym teacher.

I think your examples are a bit extreme. I think your example regarding the discipline of baby boomers is only linked to maybe a handful of the nation. A lot of the baby boomers I know made sure their kids knew the value of a dollar.

It's not the baby boomers..it's the kids & grand kids of baby boomers
And no I don't think he's extreme at all...every time some little Jane or John gets injured there is always a lawmaker trying to pass a bill to yet again regulate something

Cripes it's suprising any baby boomers lived to have kids...we weren't regulated

Old 04-17-2008, 11:33 AM

717 posts, read 773,633 times
Quote:

Not sure about that last sentence. The wealth the babyboomers accumlated has gone to their childrens head. When they are watching Paris Hilton act like a spoiled brat do not think this has no influence on their perception.
Kids today are extremely entitled. The world is supposed to be handed to them on a silver platter with cole slaw on the side.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:38 AM

259 posts, read 925,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
Not sure about that last sentence. The wealth the babyboomers accumlated has gone to their childrens head. When they are watching Paris Hilton act like a spoiled brat do not think this has no influence on their perception.
Kids today are extremely entitled. The world is supposed to be handed to them on a silver platter with cole slaw on the side.
Not every baby boomers kid is that way. Look, I am the product of two baby boomers. I know the value of a dollar. Myself, my friends, all of us saw our parents working extremely hard. All those nice big screen TV's and Mercedes Benz's don't come easy. Sugar, soda, "power drinks", we only had those on special occasions. I agree with you in one aspect that there are some parents out there that give their children free reign to do whatever they please.....but that's a small amount. It's not like our streets are overrun with hordes of sugar junkies.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:45 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
It's not the baby boomers..it's the kids & grand kids of baby boomers
And no I don't think he's extreme at all...every time some little Jane or John gets injured there is always a lawmaker trying to pass a bill to yet again regulate something

Cripes it's suprising any baby boomers lived to have kids...we weren't regulated
Interesting isn't it? I'm not a baby boomer but remember things being different when I was a kid. Our swing sets were rusty, you had to dodge the nails sticking out of the posts by the slide. The playgrounds were concrete or asphalt. I've never had a "flu shot" and I know what it's like to have chicken pox; yet I'm still alive. Although I certainly don't think that all safety measures to protect kids are unnecessary, I must admit that this is getting a little ridiculous.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Not every baby boomers kid is that way. Look, I am the product of two baby boomers. I know the value of a dollar. Myself, my friends, all of us saw our parents working extremely hard. All those nice big screen TV's and Mercedes Benz's don't come easy. Sugar, soda, "power drinks", we only had those on special occasions. I agree with you in one aspect that there are some parents out there that give their children free reign to do whatever they please.....but that's a small amount. It's not like our streets are overrun with hordes of sugar junkies.
Touche!!! But it is that small group being responsible for what is dictating us all

Old 04-17-2008, 12:53 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Quote:

I couldn't agree more and it is very sad.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:15 PM

I remember driving to both Fl and Colorado
Station wagon, 3 kids, no in car DVD player
I would put pillows & blankets in the way back...board games..snacks
Flip that middle seat down and the kids entertained themselves, when they got sleepy just grabbed a blanket , pillow and laid down and went to sleep

I guess cars not being what they used to be..made of heavy metal, car seats are a must

Old 04-17-2008, 01:26 PM

253 posts, read 1,267,013 times
Quote:
clap clap clap. yep.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:40 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I only needed to note that one part above.

Parents not paying attention to their kids. Imho, problem solved, story over.
IM still trying to high off nutmeg!!!!!!!!! opps wrong quote go back one quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey