Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 01:18 PM
bn1

128 posts, read 206,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
You had to take the driver's test again? The CA DMV website said you definitely would have to take the test if you came from out of the country, but it is not guaranteed that you would not have to take it if you were out of state. The most nervous part about my move is getting a California license, because it's going to be complicated although tons of people make the same exact move as me. I have to establish CA residency, blah blah blah.

I'm sorry you had to end up in NJ again... There will not be any likelihood of me coming back to NJ since I will be "inheriting" my grandparents' house. If not, I might just move to Oregon or Washington.
I was required to take the written test only to transfer my license to CA. When I moved back to NJ, I didn't have to re-test. It's not too bad or complicated, even the DMV I went to in San Francisco I remember having to wait a little but not hours and hours. Taking my wife to the DMV/MVC here in NJ to get her out-of-state license transferred to NJ was far more painful. Then again, maybe CA has gotten bad too with the whole REAL ID fiasco. Once I arrived in CA, I didn't have a car so kept putting it off because it seemed like such a complicated hassle. After I finally got it over with, I was kicking myself for not getting this simple thing done earlier. The most complicated part was probably figuring out which bus I had to take to get there.

It's a funny thing...I was excited to move to CA. When I got there, after the initial excitement wore off I really missed the little things about NJ, and NYC. It took about 2 years to really find my place in CA with a good group of friends. After I came back, I realized how much I missed the weekend nature getaways available in Northern CA, the way people take their time to enjoy leisure and travel, and in the Silicon Valley / Bay Area a certain optimism is prevalent like they can change the world from right there. People are less about climbing corporate ladders and more about being part of something innovative. There is, of course, a serious homelessness problem that's only growing. Anyway, enjoy the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 09:59 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,495,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bn1 View Post
I was required to take the written test only to transfer my license to CA. When I moved back to NJ, I didn't have to re-test. It's not too bad or complicated, even the DMV I went to in San Francisco I remember having to wait a little but not hours and hours. Taking my wife to the DMV/MVC here in NJ to get her out-of-state license transferred to NJ was far more painful. Then again, maybe CA has gotten bad too with the whole REAL ID fiasco. Once I arrived in CA, I didn't have a car so kept putting it off because it seemed like such a complicated hassle. After I finally got it over with, I was kicking myself for not getting this simple thing done earlier. The most complicated part was probably figuring out which bus I had to take to get there.

It's a funny thing...I was excited to move to CA. When I got there, after the initial excitement wore off I really missed the little things about NJ, and NYC. It took about 2 years to really find my place in CA with a good group of friends. After I came back, I realized how much I missed the weekend nature getaways available in Northern CA, the way people take their time to enjoy leisure and travel, and in the Silicon Valley / Bay Area a certain optimism is prevalent like they can change the world from right there. People are less about climbing corporate ladders and more about being part of something innovative. There is, of course, a serious homelessness problem that's only growing. Anyway, enjoy the west.
I'm going to have to get a CA license, because I am not taking my car from my parents' home, so I will have to end up buying a CA car over there. I thought about keeping my NJ license, which I might be able to do. I'll see.

Yeah I am gonna miss my days of the things I enjoyed in NJ like shopping at the great malls here, hiking, and driving around Morris County such as Route 10 and Route 46. I took a couple of trips to my grandparents' house in California and ever since I came back to NJ, I proved that CA is better for me and that I should move there.

I am already spending my last two weeks driving around Morris County. It is ashame I can't enjoy the non-essential retail for the last moments like saying buy to the Ulta employees I see every day and shopping at the malls.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:49 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
One way to get rid of change without a Coinstar fee is using the self kiosks at Wal-mart, Target or most supermarkets, purchasing some items you need, and paying by Cash and inserting coins exclusively. I mean you will take awhile and if the store is busy, the customers behind you might get annoyed that you are paying entirely in change
Agree, that's what I've done

Quote:
Coin Star takes 10%, but at least they have good gift card options you can redeem to avoid the fee. I redeemed $18.14 today for a Starbuck's gift card. I have more coins to take in tomorrow.
You paid a coinstar to count $18 of change?

Quote:
You had to take the driver's test again? The CA DMV website said you definitely would have to take the test if you came from out of the country, but it is not guaranteed that you would not have to take it if you were out of state. The most nervous part about my move is getting a California license, because it's going to be complicated although tons of people make the same exact move as me. I have to establish CA residency, blah blah blah.

I'm sorry you had to end up in NJ again... There will not be any likelihood of me coming back to NJ since I will be "inheriting" my grandparents' house. If not, I might just move to Oregon or Washington.
Are you set up with a real ID yet? If not you may want to make sure of the documents you need because I think we all (my hub, adult kids and I) have to order new style birth certificates from Trenton

Quote:

If they have a will and leave the house to you then you inherit it. If they do not have a will it will be split between surviving children.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:59 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

What's wrong with that? An $18 gift card is worth a lot more than a jar of loose change sitting in a closet. He said that Coinstar does not charge fees if you redeem it for a gift card.

With that said, will bank tellers process loose change or do they make you roll it all? I never use cash for anything so I have never really had to deal with loose change.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
What's wrong with that? An $18 gift card is worth a lot more than a jar of loose change sitting in a closet. He said that Coinstar does not charge fees if you redeem it for a gift card.

With that said, will bank tellers process loose change or do they make you roll it all? I never use cash for anything so I have never really had to deal with loose change.
Last time I used coinstar was a few hundred dollars with of change and was charged. The last time I had $30 in change I just used it to pay self check out.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:23 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
I'm going to have to get a CA license, because I am not taking my car from my parents' home, so I will have to end up buying a CA car over there. I thought about keeping my NJ license, which I might be able to do. I'll see.

Yeah I am gonna miss my days of the things I enjoyed in NJ like shopping at the great malls here, hiking, and driving around Morris County such as Route 10 and Route 46. I took a couple of trips to my grandparents' house in California and ever since I came back to NJ, I proved that CA is better for me and that I should move there.

I am already spending my last two weeks driving around Morris County. It is ashame I can't enjoy the non-essential retail for the last moments like saying buy to the Ulta employees I see every day and shopping at the malls.
You should drive to California. This may be your only chance to do it.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:38 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,495,103 times
Quote:

Are you set up with a real ID yet? If not you may want to make sure of the documents you need because I think we all (my hub, adult kids and I) have to order new style birth certificates from Trenton

If they have a will and leave the house to you then you inherit it. If they do not have a will it will be split between surviving children.

The $18 of change weighs a lot and was just too many coins. I counted so many coins before and put them into coin cases to deposit them into my Chase account and it takes way too long, plus it is very unsanitary to keep counting coins like this (thankfully I stopped using cash about a year before the coronavirus came).

My grandparents' house is under my uncle's and my mom's name. They may plan to change that. I don't want to get my hopes up and take life in that house for granted, because when my grandparents die, I worry that my uncle might want to sell that house for extra money for himself.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:53 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,687 times
Quote:
The $18 of change weighs a lot and was just too many coins. I counted so many coins before and put them into coin cases to deposit them into my Chase account and it takes way too long, plus it is very unsanitary to keep counting coins like this (thankfully I stopped using cash about a year before the coronavirus came).

My grandparents' house is under my uncle's and my mom's name. They may plan to change that. I don't want to get my hopes up and take life in that house for granted, because when my grandparents die, I worry that my uncle might want to sell that house for extra money for himself.
I remember the inheritance I got from my parents when they died... bills, bills, and more bills!

You are likely in for a world of hurt if you think your mother and uncle are just gonna roll over and give a house to you, especially if the relationship between you and your mother is as acrimonious as you have described here.

You’d better get a job, maybe finish college with a bachelor’s degree or higher, and start saving some money for your own place while living out there in CA. Don’t count on other people’s money or property being there for you. Things often don’t work out as planned.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:

I highly doubt your mother or uncle will just give up their stake in the house, that is if your grandparents haven't put a reverse mortgage on it already which is very possible. If that's the case, no one but the bank gets the house.

I have an accountant friend that stopped working 10+ years to care for his aging mother. He lost a lot of income, worked at some big companies in California. When his mother passed the house was split evenly between he and his siblings which IMO was unfair since he lost his life caring for her. Try getting back into a career after being out that long. It took him over a year to find a job, then this virus hit.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:11 AM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Last time I used coinstar was a few hundred dollars with of change and was charged. The last time I had $30 in change I just used it to pay self check out.
I have a big plastic jar with change in it. That's exactly how I was thinking to get rid of it--use it at the self-check-out at ShopRite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey