Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 06:24 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,956,095 times

Advertisements

Republic Bank.. new bank owned by the same guy that started TD. They have them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 09:41 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,495,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I remember the inheritance I got from my parents when they died... bills, bills, and more bills!

You are likely in for a world of hurt if you think your mother and uncle are just gonna roll over and give a house to you, especially if the relationship between you and your mother is as acrimonious as you have described here.

You’d better get a job, maybe finish college with a bachelor’s degree or higher, and start saving some money for your own place while living out there in CA. Don’t count on other people’s money or property being there for you. Things often don’t work out as planned.
I agree, there really is not a way one can really have a free house except for my grandparents' next door neighbor who inherited the house from his deceased parents. I do have a college degree, but I only have a part time job right now due to the lack of IT experience. CA is very expensive, so I have Oregon and Washington in mind (I probably mentioned that in my old threads) as a Plan B, because Oregon and Washington still have affordable areas to live with a better quality of life than CA.

Old 06-12-2020, 05:04 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have a big plastic jar with change in it. That's exactly how I was thinking to get rid of it--use it at the self-check-out at ShopRite.
That's the easiest, pay at the self check out. I had the change sorted. I think $5 or $10 bags that were put in groups, quarters, dimes, nickles, even some pennies.

I've also brought change to WaWa. The regular cashiers don't mind because they can use the change but the manager got annoyed by it for some reason. I always lay it out in $1 stacks, all he had to do was look and grab it but he still rolled his eyes

Old 06-12-2020, 08:30 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That's the easiest, pay at the self check out. I had the change sorted. I think $5 or $10 bags that were put in groups, quarters, dimes, nickles, even some pennies.

I've also brought change to WaWa. The regular cashiers don't mind because they can use the change but the manager got annoyed by it for some reason. I always lay it out in $1 stacks, all he had to do was look and grab it but he still rolled his eyes
How long did it take you to insert all those coins? I always hate the people at the grocery store that pay in cash. It holds up the line especially when every penny is being counted.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:01 AM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
How long did it take you to insert all those coins? I always hate the people at the grocery store that pay in cash. It holds up the line especially when every penny is being counted.
The couple of times I did so far, I only bought a few items, and I went at a slow time so that there were other stations available and I wasn't holding anyone up. You put a handful at a time into the receptor that takes the coins.

Rereading your post, you seem to be complaining about people handing coins to a cashier. That's a different story.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I agree with Mightyqueen, I go during off peak hours. My change is bagged so that I have $5 or $10 bags of quarters, dimes and nickels are $5 and under. I'm using self check out when there isn't a line.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:15 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I agree with Mightyqueen, I go during off peak hours. My change is bagged so that I have $5 or $10 bags of quarters, dimes and nickels are $5 and under. I'm using self check out when there isn't a line.
Interesting. I can't even remember the last time I paid cash for anything. I think it has been at least several years since I was last at an ATM machine and even longer for going inside a bank.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:50 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
I can't even remember the last time I paid cash for anything. I think it has been at least several years since I was last at an ATM machine and even longer for going inside a bank.
+1

For quite a few years, the only time that I used cash was to buy the occasional lottery ticket, and to pay at the car wash.
But, for the past several months. I have done neither, so the cash in my wallet, as well as my cash reserve at home, just sits there--untouched. And, by using the bank's mobile app for check deposits, I don't even have to go to the bank for the deposit of the occasional check that I receive.

Last edited by Retriever; 06-13-2020 at 03:19 PM..

Old 06-14-2020, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I can't even remember the last time I paid cash for anything. I think it has been at least several years since I was last at an ATM machine and even longer for going inside a bank.
I mostly use my card. I don't even have a checkbook for my account. If I'm writing a check I use a different account. My meds have been over $300 since March so I write a check which gives me a few days or a week to get the money in the account.

My hub is the one with a lot of change.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:31 AM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I used cash earlier this year to pay for work to be done in my house. The painter had a cash price, and he came back to rip out carpet for more cash. I paid the guy who installed the replacement flooring in cash, too. I also paid the handyman company that installed a dishwasher for me in cash because if you do, you get a 5% discount.

But for food shopping, takeout, etc., I use a card that gives me points.

The exception will be my plan to dump that change in the self-checkouts when I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey