Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 10:37 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think that they should come up with a better phrase than "defund the police" because that isnt what anyone involved wants. "reform the police" "reinvent the police" or something. defund is more catchy but it scares the crap out of old boomers who worship police and think that black people will come and rob and murder them if they didnt have the police.

right wingers love secret police also. both sides love police when they are enforcing something thy want enforced.

Yes, right wingers are showing their love of secret police right now in Portland. I agree with you, the term defund is loaded and easily manipulated into fear mongering, but really it's knock it to the ground and rebuild it. Although I do think the excess budgets they are routinely given 1. contribute to a cycle of needing more policing, as it results in defunding of social services and 2. contributes to the militarization that has changed "public servant" into "occupying army". Small towns don't need SWAT teams and they end up using them for no-knock drug warrants in black communities just so they can justify having them.

People want police reform and for some of their bloated funds redistributed to social services.

Camden defunded it's corrupt and unfixable police department and replaced them, and their crime rate is half now what it was then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 11:02 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
The NY Times article says this explicitly...i suspect you can find a paywall workaround if you cared to be educated on the topic (you don't seem to be though).
ok, i read the NYT piece because i want to do a good job responding. once again, its an opinion piece by a low level person with no actual responsibility. she does suggest cutting the police force and budget in half as an opening step. so that would give an opportunity to see changes without entirely getting rid of any police force (and the remaining force could theoretically focus on more serious crime.)

next, she did talk about replacing them by putting more money to other resources to deal with crimes/problems:

"We should redirect the billions that now go to police departments toward providing health care, housing, education and good jobs. If we did this, there would be less need for the police in the first place.

We can build other ways of responding to harms in our society. Trained “community care workers” could do mental-health checks if someone needs help. Towns could use restorative-justice models instead of throwing people in prison."

when addressing the idea of rape, her solution was incomplete. it didnt really say to do nothing, just that police arent a good solution. id imagine that if pushed for more explanation she would have to say that something would be needed to fill the role.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 07-22-2020 at 11:13 AM..

Old 07-22-2020, 12:20 PM

109 posts, read 125,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think that they should come up with a better phrase than "defund the police" because that isnt what anyone involved wants. "reform the police" "reinvent the police" or something. defund is more catchy but it scares the crap out of old boomers who worship police and think that black people will come and rob and murder them if they didnt have the police.

right wingers love secret police also. both sides love police when they are enforcing something they want enforced.
yes they do. both extreme sides volley each other up to spike bad policies on top of people.

whether you are a Communist or a Nationalist, both want Fascism.

the American people are going to line up to vote on bogus electronic voting machines again. Trump will be given the win as planned, and both sides will continue to dismantle our country in front of us with the backing and instruction of billionaires who all work for the "Wizard Of Oz."

Old 07-22-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_inquisition View Post
yes they do. both extreme sides volley each other up to spike bad policies on top of people.

the American people are going to line up to vote on bogus electronic voting machines again. Trump will be given the win as planned, and both sides will continue to dismantle our country in front of us with the backing and instruction of billionaires who all work for the "Wizard Of Oz."
reminded me of this gif:

Old 07-22-2020, 02:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_inquisition View Post

Biden is not a serious candidate. In traditional election year, by this time 100 million will be spent to have rallies, fund raisers, and campaign across the country. So far Biden has been tucked away by the DNC just to keep him from showing more of his fragility in speech. Even liberal commentators admit he is a weak candidate and will be blown away by Trump in any open or moderated debates.

Businesses haven't come out to endorse him because they don't think he has a shot or they would've came behind him like they did for Hillary at this stage of the process. It's only the never trump folks who live in blue states their votes wouldn't matter much anyways. It's the independents and the moderates that will decide who is more competant.

Old 07-22-2020, 03:00 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Even liberal commentators admit he is a weak candidate and will be blown away by Trump in any open or moderated debates.
Oh, c'mon. Trump can barely form a complete sentence. He has no idea what he's doing or saying. Did you watch his interview with Mike Wallace? Remember how the the daily covid briefings were cancelled after he made claims about curing it with household cleaners and sunlight? There won't be any debates. They would be political suicide for Trump. His staff would never let it happen.

Old 07-22-2020, 03:02 PM

both of you are wrong. i find it amazing that people still think that their candidate will destroy the other candidate in a debate!!! havent we seen enough debates by now (well not me, ive never seen any) to know that debates add up to a bunch of nothing and its rare that either candidate walks away with even a slight advantage? debates dont matter.

Old 07-22-2020, 03:16 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
I feel like presidents all at least spoke well before George W Bush. Pretty much all leadership positions in any industry require you to speak well. I guess we've lowered the bar for being POTUS. Maybe I'll just vote for Kanye. At least he gave us some classics.

Old 07-22-2020, 03:49 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Four different polls, compiled over a period of about one month, indicate that the majority of Americans agree with the BLM movement:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/black-l...ll-28-06-2020/

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/63-s...ry?id=71779435

https://www.wsj.com/articles/majorit...er-11595304062

https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/0...g-support.html

Old 07-22-2020, 05:41 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I feel like presidents all at least spoke well before George W Bush. Pretty much all leadership positions in any industry require you to speak well. I guess we've lowered the bar for being POTUS. Maybe I'll just vote for Kanye. At least he gave us some classics.
I disagreed with everything Ronald Reagan stood for, but he was an outstanding speaker. Some of his speeches moved me to tears, like the one after the Challenger explosion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey