Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you listen to 101.5?
Religiously-Jim Gearheart is my messiah. 9 26.47%
Just for the traffic and weather. 12 35.29%
Never-I can't stand the whining. 10 29.41%
New Jersey has its own radio station? 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:25 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,976,324 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many of the "regulars" here listen to 101.5? I am continually amazed at their ability to turn the most mundane of news into a sensationalist piece of controversy. Also commendable is their ability to rapidly flip-flop on issues. For example, they led the charge against Florio with their "Hands Across New Jersey" stunt and were ardent cheerleaders for Christie Whitman-until she took office-then they proceeded to trash her just as they did Florio.

Similarly, Jim Gearheart will do everything short of call for the assassination of Corzine daily on the radio. However, when the Governor actually sits in studio with him he gushes like a schoolgirl over him as he lobs softball after softball at him. And lastly, when the State Police profiling scandal began in the 90s, 101.5 immediately condemned it as "playing the race card." However, once that lost its sex appeal they flipped to bashing the State Police every chance they got, culminating in Craig Carton raising the ire of David Jones, president of the STFA, which resulted in a minor media circus which left the station looking foolish, and becoming more of a mouthpiece for hating the New Jersey State Police than ever before.

So I'm sure you're asking yourself by now "Then why do you listen?" Two reasons. First, I work in government and there's no better way to keep abreast of what the next s*** storm is going to be about. Second, the traffic and weather CANNOT be beat! If there is anything going on with 80, 78, 287, 195, 295, the Turnpike, the Parkway, and local roads they're dead on. Not to mention that New York and Philadelphia stations totally ignore a lot of those roads. The weather forecasts are also remarkably accurate in my opinion. I keep my clock radio tuned to 101.5 so that I can hear the morning traffic report/whining, but once I'm in my truck it's Howard on Sirius for the drive to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 10:29 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,488,710 times
i thought cd101.5 was the smooth jazz station...am i wrong?

Old 04-30-2008, 10:32 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,668,815 times
^^ can't stand the whining

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
gearhart is a blowhard. can't stand him. like dennis and judy when they talk fluff. i liked the jersey guys when carton was on (i called in once and got on the air), but don't like casey. like the traffic and weather although they missed a backed up area on 287N yesterday, but they are usually accurate.

so if i had to pick an answer, i'd say only weather and traffic. i actually can't get 101.5 at home. i'd also say they are more focused on central/south jersey than north (they even have another frequency for extreme south jersey, but nothing for north).

ETA - badfish - how about Kenneth Keith Kallenbach? weird, huh?

259 posts, read 924,888 times
Actually, I think they should do the traffic more frequently. I would love to avoid 80 on days where the sun is shining. God forbid anyone puts their visor down.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:36 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,953 times
Thumbs up Loved your post Tahiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
gearhart is a blowhard. can't stand him.

Oh Tahiti !! You're a GEM ! I was just going to type "Blowhard" then I read your post !! Isn't that the perfect word to describe him??!!!Boy we sure do think alike !!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:36 AM

810 posts, read 2,292,135 times
You may want to add another choice between Gearheart is god and Just for weather and traffic. When I lived there, I listened often, none of the choices would have fit my listening habits. I like Jim, but he is off the mark at times.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:02 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i thought cd101.5 was the smooth jazz station...am i wrong?
I thought the same exact thing. Even the little jingle says it: "Smooooooth Jaaaaaaaaaz; CD one o one point fiiiiiiiiive" LOL.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:09 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,190 times
I flip between that and 98.3 for traffic, but land more on 98.3 because they remember to include Rt. 18 and 101.5 often ignores that one. The Jersey Guys annoy me-it's like they try to be the soft-core version of Opie and Anthony and I don't like it. Jim G in the morning-my father loves him-I think he's just a cranky old man who isn't happy with anything.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:24 PM

468 posts, read 580,354 times
I've listened to it since it changed from KXW back in the 80s or whatever,but I don't always listen on a regular basis.

And contrary to what people are saying here,I don't consider it 'whining'. Alot of times I consider them the 'voice of NJ'
Just because they may say some things I may not agree with doesn't mean I'm going to condemn them for it.
If anything I get a little annoyed when some hosts and callers brag about how 'great' their lives are and start singing,lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey