Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 09:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times

Advertisements

Christie won because NJ has this weird recent habit of electing the governor of the opposite party of the presidential winner the previous year.

Bush 41 in 88 gave way to Florio in 89
Clinton in 92 and 96 gave way to Whitman in 93 and 97
Bush 43 in 00 and 04 gave way to McGreevey in 01 and Corzine in 05
Obama in 08 and 12 gave way to Christie in 09 and 13
Trump in 16 gave way to Murphy in 17

Also, Christie’s re-election in 13 was buoyed by a rally-round-the-flag effect from Hurricane Sandy. That boosted his popularity big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 05:46 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
Chris Christie was a great governor overall. His landslide win for re-election proves that.

Compared to the trash before, and after him... he played the role of the moderate, and made decisions putting NJ first.

Bridgegate was just BS as courts proved.

Missing him badly. He would not have let 8,000 people die in nursing homes by putting sick people in them.

NY/NJ/PA/MI/CA are the only states that killed this way.

People in NJ have a right to their own political party preference that I only solely disagree with and not "hate" them for it which mostly goes against my perference(s) but such is life.

As I agree with you on the most part, you won't get anywhere with the mostly left/liberal/democrat leanings that is at least the NJ forum.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You are quite possibly the only person on the planet who has ever typed out that sequence of words.

You would be surprised how many people move to a state because of its politics/political leaders, having said that I think for NJ that number is minuscule as many who move to NJ for instance have a job/career in NYC/NJ not caring what the politics/political leaders are.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:56 AM

968 posts, read 726,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
You would be surprised how many people move to a state because of its politics/political leaders, having said that I think for NJ that number is minuscule as many who move to NJ for instance have a job/career in NYC/NJ not caring what the politics/political leaders are.
This actually happens quite a bit where I grew up in MA, with the more conservative portion of the population slowly migrating north across the NH line. Win-win for both states.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:22 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
People are moving out, New York is moving into NJ first because people are tired of New York with De Blasio and Cuomo. There is a LARGE population of people tired of liberal policies and Phil Murphy who cannot wait to get out of here including me. The only reason I moved into NJ was because of Chris Christie.
I’ve never heard of anyone who chose where to live based on who the governor was. It doesn’t really make sense to me to organize your life around someone who holds a temporary position. So if you move to a red state, and they happen to elect a blue governor, you’re just going to pick up and move again?

Old 09-11-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Really ?

What happened to my homestead rebate ?
And the gas taxes raised by $.23 a gallon. And don’t forget how well he handled Revel.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:30 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You are quite possibly the only person on the planet who has ever typed out that sequence of words.
+1
I have to wonder how a person--like him--can be so spectacularly wrong, on such a constant basis.

From Business Insider, on January 16, 2018:

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, once a star in the Republican Party with a nearly 80% approval rating, will leave office on Tuesday as the least popular governor in his state's history… After several scandals, including the criminal convictions of two of his top aides, and a failed 2016 presidential bid, Christie has just a 14% approval rating and is widely disliked in his own state and party.

For the full text of the article, take a look at:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...1#bridgegate-1

Old 09-11-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
I have to wonder how a person--like him--can be so spectacularly wrong, on such a constant basis.

From Business Insider, on January 16, 2018:

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, once a star in the Republican Party with a nearly 80% approval rating, will leave office on Tuesday as the least popular governor in his state's history… After several scandals, including the criminal convictions of two of his top aides, and a failed 2016 presidential bid, Christie has just a 14% approval rating and is widely disliked in his own state and party.

For the full text of the article, take a look at:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...1#bridgegate-1

They are a left-center source and wondering who gave Christie the "thumbs down" - how many dems vs repubs.
(I DON'T KNOW) But they "could" poll and state 100% of the dems and 10 repubs didn't approve of Christie and write as they did IMO.

Just like the published election polling - how many dems vs repubs.
Christie had his faults, but...................

IMO Murphy has many more faults and blood on his hands from the nursing home deaths from covid-19.
Nobody is perfect!

Old 09-11-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
They are a left-center source and wondering who gave Christie the "thumbs down" - how many dems vs repubs.
(I DON'T KNOW) But they "could" poll and state 100% of the dems and 10 repubs didn't approve of Christie and write as they did IMO.

Just like the published election polling - how many dems vs repubs.
Christie had his faults, but...................

IMO Murphy has many more faults and blood on his hands from the nursing home deaths from covid-19.
Nobody is perfect!
The problem is the nursing homes were not equipped and ready with quarantine wings. But I can't see where else people who needed 24/7 constant care and had no families able to care for them could have been discharged to if not nursing homes. They couldn't have been put on Navy ships or hotels. It's easy to say they shouldn't have been sent back there, but it's harder to see what the alternatives were. The nursing homes just didn't prepare, didn't have enough PPE and not enough money to do much about it. They should have been allowed back, just separated from the rest of the population.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The problem is the nursing homes were not equipped and ready with quarantine wings. But I can't see where else people who needed 24/7 constant care and had no families able to care for them could have been discharged to if not nursing homes. They couldn't have been put on Navy ships or hotels. It's easy to say they shouldn't have been sent back there, but it's harder to see what the alternatives were. The nursing homes just didn't prepare, didn't have enough PPE and not enough money to do much about it. They should have been allowed back, just separated from the rest of the population.

IN KIND:

The issue is Murphy like Cuomo are guilty of murder IMO.
https://www.nj.com/opinion/2020/05/m...-mulshine.html
https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...d-15302988.php

Infected Covid should not have been "forced" into nursing homes.

Back to the thread subject: I'm not happy with most of the decisions Murphy has made, it doesn't make me feel great living in NJ with him as governor. No, I'm not leaving. lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey