Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:22 AM

161 posts, read 768,101 times

Advertisements

They won't make a special trip but if you tell them when making the order they will put a note for the tech

Like many said, I'm sure you have rg6 wiring but there are probably splitters throughout your home so they will probably have to run new wiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 01:02 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,627,808 times
We are now thinking more toward the cable for now. If and when we do move from NJ, we may consider the dish. I feel that most I have talked to it seems both seem about the same. Hopefully all will go well with the transformation.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:17 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,374,303 times
In my opinion, the only reason why one would get satellite is if you are a sports junkie and must watch every single sports game there is. Other than that, there is no purpose for satellite. The internet connection via satellite is what like, dial up speeds? Or does it even exist? And how bout a phone line? Does that exist? I dunno. The only reason I use satellite is for my XM radio. Cable all the way for everything else.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:03 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,627,808 times
I am still on dial up...until we do this switch.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:19 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,676,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
In my opinion, the only reason why one would get satellite is if you are a sports junkie and must watch every single sports game there is. Other than that, there is no purpose for satellite. The internet connection via satellite is what like, dial up speeds? Or does it even exist? And how bout a phone line? Does that exist? I dunno. The only reason I use satellite is for my XM radio. Cable all the way for everything else.
Satellite costs far less than cable, especially through those scumbags Comcast.

Satellite for TV service <> internet service. Your local phone provider (for me, its Embarq) provides telephone service and DSL, with an additional discount for Dish. This is common.

My DSL speeds are far better than the $40/mo discounted cable net speeds, and are on par with the discounted $60/mo service. For nearly half the price.

Satellite can provide FAR better HD service, and their channel lineup shows it. Cable compresses all HD service so drastically, its sometimes worse than regular cable.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:28 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,374,303 times
Satellite - does not provide its own internet/phone. Ok, that makes sense. So, you need to deal with more than 1 provider.++ DSL is never as fast (or stable) as cable. I dunno, for my style, satellite is not really a good option imo as the only thing I see it has over cable is less $$$..(Because it offers slower service and less products).

I pay $99/month for TV (including starz) + Internet (6mb DL speed) + Phone (unlimited). Let me know what a comparable package would run for satellite..

Old 05-18-2008, 05:45 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,715,087 times
Quote:
Satellite - does not provide its own internet/phone. Ok, that makes sense. So, you need to deal with more than 1 provider.++ DSL is never as fast (or stable) as cable. I dunno, for my style, satellite is not really a good option imo as the only thing I see it has over cable is less $$$..(Because it offers slower service and less products).

I pay $99/month for TV (including starz) + Internet (6mb DL speed) + Phone (unlimited). Let me know what a comparable package would run for satellite..

hmm, is that the "triple play"? don't expect that price forever. i'm not a huge downloader, but the difference between DSL and Cable to me is really really fast -vs- really really really fast. And I work out of an office with an OC12+, so I know what fast is.

anyway, i pay about $130 for internet, satellite and phone. I have about 150 channels, 8 HBO's, 2 DVR's, 1 HD DVR. customer service with directv is far superior in my experience, and that counts for a lot. last year i got NFL sunday ticket for free, *just because*.

Last edited by tahiti; 05-18-2008 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-18-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Satellite - does not provide its own internet/phone. Ok, that makes sense. So, you need to deal with more than 1 provider.++ DSL is never as fast (or stable) as cable.
Again, not true. I pay my phone, satellite TV service, and DSL on one bill, through Embarq. When I call up for service, I call Embarq.

Also, my DSL line went up a few days after I moved in - I think I restarted the DSL modem just once, it was when I cut power to the basement to replace a fixture. I moved in 7 months ago.

Quote:
I dunno, for my style, satellite is not really a good option imo as the only thing I see it has over cable is less $$$..(Because it offers slower service and less products).
Again, not true. Fwiw, you get more channels on Satellite than you do on cable, and its not slower.

Quote:
That is an introductory rate for a cable triple play, not a permanent rate.

I have a 10mbit downstream, house line (not VOIP, I'm doing that internally with ASTERISK as well as a regular POTS phone atm), a few hundred channels, plus 3 premium channels. I'm paying $150/mo (after all taxes and fees, this is the total on the bill).

I used comcast for several years, I had the triple play. After your discount is up, you're going to be paying $140/month, before taxes and fees. To compare to what I'm getting now, without any term-based rate (my service doesn't go up in price in 6 months or a year), look at the preferred triple play. Its $130/mo for a year, then it goes up to $175.

I don't pay a monthly fee for additional TV's with full service (if you want extra digital cable boxes, you pay for them - from $3/mo for the tiny one, $6 for the big one, and - iirc - $12/mo for an additional DVR). I get two boxes for free, each having two tuners - four individually tuned TV's, with full service.

Unlike Comcast, the menu guide is very responsive, far better than Comcasts performance. Fast forwarding and rewinding is instantaneous - unlike the Motorola boxes Comcast is using.

On cable, the "HD" is pretty poor quality - its only sized to the correct resolution, they compress the hell out of it. Look at the black levels, its very telling. This is not the case on satellite.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:58 PM

Oh, you can look here regarding speeds:

https://www.embarq.com/Residential/I...hSpeedInternet

Service goes from 768k up through 10mbit.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:59 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,358,321 times
I pay $99/month for TV (including starz) + Internet (6mb DL speed) + Phone (unlimited). Let me know what a comparable package would run for satellite..[/quote]

And that's a GREAT deal. We had it too until we has problems with underground cable wires and we had quite a few days with no cable. We were like pioneers... no phone, computer,and t.v. I love to read and spend a lot of time doing that regularly but when it's your only choice and you know you are missing communicating with the outside world it stinks.

I will NEVER agree to them all on the same plan again.

Oh and if you think it was rough on me, you should have seen my hubby sitting in his lazy boy minus his regular laptop with no t.v. It was amazing he made it through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey