Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what grade level should NJ schools teach about Gender ID and Sexual Orientation?
Before 5th grade 8 7.02%
5th 7 6.14%
6th 9 7.89%
7th 5 4.39%
8th 4 3.51%
9th and above 12 10.53%
Never 69 60.53%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 04:13 PM

445 posts, read 413,577 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm just an elder millennial now, but we were taught this in 5th grade (in Pennsylvania) and I didn't think anything of it. By that time, I already knew what sex and sexual orientation were anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 04:32 PM

10,438 posts, read 6,964,415 times
The right answer is never. Kids go to school to learn about reading, writing and math. If you are an advocate for this, especially at the younger ages, you're likely a pedophile.

Old 04-07-2022, 06:02 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
I’m sorry, I was wrong about this topic. This is apparently starting in SECOND grade

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new...arming-parents
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 04-07-2022, 06:22 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,631,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Something I’ve noticed here and elsewhere (on The Facebook), and I’m speaking as a man who’s straight as an arrow…

It’s almost always heterosexual men flipping out over LGBTQA… topics. Women, whether heterosexual or otherwise, are much more accepting regarding these people/issues.

What are the men so afraid of?

I guess it’s what’s discussed below. I have absolutely no issue with my kids learning about people who are gay. Everyone is entitled to their preference without judgment. The trans/gender identity stuff gets a little tricky for me. I respect all people but part of me feels likes at least SOME of the people who feel they’re a gender other than the one assigned at birth have some psychological issues and need therapy. I wouldn’t want my kids being told that they might feel they’re a gender other than the one people tell them they are and that’s ok, as the article below suggests. I would feel better if they just taught kids that some people identify as a gender other than how they were born and we need to respect them also even if we feel differently than they do. The former almost seems like they’re a encouraging kids to be transgender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I’m sorry, I was wrong about this topic. This is apparently starting in SECOND grade

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new...arming-parents

Old 04-07-2022, 07:51 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The right answer is never. Kids go to school to learn about reading, writing and math. If you are an advocate for this, especially at the younger ages, you're likely a pedophile.
That's one of the stupider claims you've ever posted here, and it's got a fair amount of competition.

You are free to disagree about kids being taught these subjects in schools, but it's pretty vile and frankly weird to accuse people who think gender information should be taught of being pedophiles. C'mon. Besides the stupidity of it, it doesn't do much for your image. I thought you were supposed to be some kind of big Christian. There's that bearing false witness thing, ya know.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:22 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Maybe I'm just an elder millennial now, but we were taught this in 5th grade (in Pennsylvania) and I didn't think anything of it. By that time, I already knew what sex and sexual orientation were anyway.
When I was about eight years old my mother told me about her much older male cousin who was gay and what that meant. He moved from his small town in England in the 1930s to London to work in theater. He couldn't have stayed in that small town.

I don't think that has to be taught in school. If it is, 9th grade is far too late.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:51 PM

10,438 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's one of the stupider claims you've ever posted here, and it's got a fair amount of competition.

You are free to disagree about kids being taught these subjects in schools, but it's pretty vile and frankly weird to accuse people who think gender information should be taught of being pedophiles. C'mon. Besides the stupidity of it, it doesn't do much for your image. I thought you were supposed to be some kind of big Christian. There's that bearing false witness thing, ya know.

There is no reason to be talking about this subject to children, and the only reason to do so is to normalize a mental illness or groom (there's a lot more pedophilia going on over transgenderism., fyi). Discussion of the fluidity of a sex, is not something a very impressionable child is going to understand. Just an open discussion about this plants the seeds into their heads that this is normal, or gives ideas to children, that maybe they should be the opposite sex, or sexual identity is a choice. Being a transgender is a mental illness, and you can bicker that its not, however it has a 50% suicide rate. Something is wrong here, and us adults haven't rooted the cause. This is a discussion that if parents feel they need to have, it should be done at home and not at a school.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 04-07-2022 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-08-2022, 06:17 AM

961 posts, read 722,061 times
This thread was catnip from the beginning, as designed.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:02 AM

5,135 posts, read 3,752,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
Yea you're definitely one of them. Got nothing better to do than cry about culture war BS all day on City Data forum.
All day? Wake up. The children are being poisoned and you are fine with it.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:31 AM

860 posts, read 1,336,917 times
I think kids need to be taught politeness and respect, acceptance, etc. as young kids. The. about the existence of orientations as they come into puberty and might be feeling that they are not straight. I wouldn’t want kids feeling like they don’t know what they are or feel ashamed for not feeling like their friends and peers. But young kids shouldn’t be taught specifics at such an age.

I think the best approach would be to have parents have to sign a waiver, as I don’t think they do currently, before the kids are taught this stuff. And post the curriculum with details online or send to the parents at home. Let parents be informed and give them the info to make an informed choice. I wonder how many parents or people in general know exactly the content being taught. This is one of those topics that can be approached at varying levels of detail and content. I would want to know more details before I could make a decision for my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey