Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 02:24 PM

78 posts, read 61,755 times

Advertisements

Brief background- I was a caregiver for my mom for many years and couldn't work due to it, which basically imploded my personal finances. She passed, and since Oct I've had full time work making $15 dollars an hour. I'm 42 and spent most of my life caring for other people, and I really want my own space now, but I've never rented. I am completely lost about how one goes about applying for low income housing. I'm in NJ, and it seems completely overwhelming and I don't know where to even begin. I have a good credit score (770) and can pay a deposit, but people around me keep insisting it is impossible for me to live alone and that all low income housing requires waiting lists of many years or just isn't available, and I'm feel very demoralized and depressed. I've tried researching, but I just feel lost and like I'm hearing conflicting things. How do you start as an adult renter who has never had an apartment and is low salary, but is also very frugal, responsible, and just wants the very basics?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 02:49 PM

130,204 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Have you applied for anything? That will be the true test. Low income or subsidized housing often has waiting lists, so talk to a social worker & get on the list now. Private landlords may rent to you, providing you have a stable income & good credit.

Old 06-24-2022, 04:07 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
Assume you have looked at items you would find with a search such as "nj low income housing programs"

Thus call you local county goverment and find out which department handles low income housing. Them make an appointment and go in and discuss.

"section 8 housing" is another search term.

You might add the county and town you want to live in.

Old 06-24-2022, 04:18 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJgalaxy View Post
...since Oct I've had full time work making $15 dollars an hour.
Who else will you be living with and how much can they afford to pay?

Old 06-24-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Who else will you be living with and how much can they afford to pay?
That's what makes this more difficult. Literally my one goal in life is to live by myself. I don't want to have to worry about anyone but me and want to have complete control of my environment just one time in my life.

Old 06-24-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Have you applied for anything? That will be the true test. Low income or subsidized housing often has waiting lists, so talk to a social worker & get on the list now. Private landlords may rent to you, providing you have a stable income & good credit.
How does one talk to a social worker? That's what I mean by not knowing how to start.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:36 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,698 times
Quote:
That's what makes this more difficult. Literally my one goal in life is to live by myself. I don't want to have to worry about anyone but me and want to have complete control of my environment just one time in my life.
If that’s your one goal… what PRACTICAL steps do you need to take to make it happen?

Your income is low - get an additional job. Work nights. Work weekends. Work more.

Save money.

Consider a career you can pursue that pays more money with a little investment, such as ultrasound tech or truck driver…. Just throwing out examples.

Set yourself to actually succeed in life. Don’t follow any advice telling you to get on some low income wait list. You do that, you’ll convince yourself that you’re doomed to be poor

Old 06-24-2022, 06:21 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
How does one talk to a social worker? That's what I mean by not knowing how to start.
Google your county's website. Look for the Health & Human Services Dept. (or similar title). Call them.

Read this for an overview: https://housingforlowincome.org/hous...in-new-jersey/

Old 06-24-2022, 08:13 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
That's what makes this more difficult. Literally my one goal in life is to live by myself.
Not difficult. Impossible. At least until you can earn more (far more in NJ).
Target: One WEEK's net income should be able to cover one MONTH's housing expenses.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:26 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Where I live, inside city hall is an office that could take care of you. I have some apartments and some of my tenants use the services of the city.

I have twelve apartments, rent starts at $450 a month for single-occupancy [including heat and utilities] there is a shared laundry room. I think it works out to roughly 23% of Minimum-Wage.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey