Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 09:18 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,194,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Mrs. Busch Boy and I briefly talked about it. Although I think the Model Y is the Tesla that offers the most bang for your buck, she is enamored with the Model S. Neither one of us like the Model 3. Plus at the moment, both cars are paid off. Once you completely own your cars outright, it really makes you think about having a car payment again unless absolutely necessary.

Plus, it looks like the $7,500 federal tax credit will be very short-lived. The credit just got extremely cumbersome. In order to get it, your Tesla has to be parked in your driveway by March, which isn’t happening unless you give up customization and buy whatever is available.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/07/11472...-volkswagen-ev
Agree on the justification for buying a new car. One doesn't need to buy unless they have a need for one.

From what I hear, customized orders are getting expedited as well. Deliveries that were promised for March last week, at the time of booking, are now being delivered as soon as end of January. Tesla is moving at warp speed to fulfil these orders. They are barely making any money on these orders, down to 2k from their previous 15k margin per car, but in the process taking out customers that could benefit their competitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 09:25 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No, they won’t. Tesla chargers aren’t on the approved list. I went through this personally. Unless they Tesla charger has been added, they will not cover any costs unless you install one of the approved chargers.
Spoke with PSEG this morning. Installation of any L2 charger will be covered by the utility incentive. The only difference the approved chargers (ChargePoint, and JuiceBox) makes is the 2c lower billing during off-peak hours. This was my intial understanding when I read the rules (in blue), and the rep just confirmed.

https://nj.myaccount.pseg.com/myserv...ectricvehicles

Excerpt of the rule:
- To be eligible to receive the residential Made Ready incentives, the customer must be using a Level 2 smart charger. To be considered a smart charger, a charging station must be capable of sending and receiving communications via Wi-Fi or a cellular network.
- To be eligible to receive the Residential Off-Peak Credit, the customer must be using a Level 2 smart charger from the PSE&G approved smart charger list found below. PSE&G is working to include additional charger manufacturers, and the approved smart charger list will be updated as appropriate. << this is for the 2c cheaper electricity for off-peak hours charging.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:38 AM

214 posts, read 352,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Spoke with PSEG this morning. Installation of any L2 charger will be covered by the utility incentive. The only difference the approved chargers (ChargePoint, and JuiceBox) makes is the 2c lower billing during off-peak hours. This was my intial understanding when I read the rules (in blue), and the rep just confirmed.

Excerpt of the rule:
- To be eligible to receive the residential Made Ready incentives, the customer must be using a Level 2 smart charger. To be considered a smart charger, a charging station must be capable of sending and receiving communications via Wi-Fi or a cellular network.
- To be eligible to receive the Residential Off-Peak Credit, the customer must be using a Level 2 smart charger from the PSE&G approved smart charger list found below. PSE&G is working to include additional charger manufacturers, and the approved smart charger list will be updated as appropriate. << this is for the 2c cheaper electricity for off-peak hours charging.
I am going to o thru this process.. I installed the Tesla wall charger.. and the JCP site says there is a 2c net charging discount during off peak hours too.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:08 AM

19,072 posts, read 14,006,551 times
They both definitely changed their policies then because initially, Tesla chargers were not covered at all. My JCP&L processed finished a few months ago (installation was over the summer). And PSE&G’s program goes back to 2021 at least.

The omission of the wall charger from these programs has been a topic of discussion on NJ Tesla forums for awhile. It’s good to see they changed it.

I would have went with Juicebox anyway because our next EV most likely will not be a Tesla.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-20-2023, 12:11 PM

15 posts, read 45,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post

Excerpt of the rule:

I just called JCP&L today (my utility company), was told they will not cover any of installation cost if you don't use a charger from their approved list. So it looks like PSEG & JCPL have different policies on this since each utility company has their own program.

This really sucks since the Tesla is the only EV I own and I would like to avoid J1772 chargers/use an adapter all the time. (and Tesla Wall charger is also $400 cheaper)

Last edited by zkwu; 01-20-2023 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-20-2023, 01:53 PM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Do so many people really think nothing of spending $50K on a car?

Old 01-20-2023, 03:20 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,659,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I read an article recently that said that about 13% of people who bought cars over the last 2 years have a monthly car note greater than $1000. I like nice cars too but I don’t think I’d be happy paying that much for a car.

Old 01-20-2023, 03:33 PM

15 posts, read 45,905 times
Quote:
There $7500 Fed & $2000 State tax incentives, plus no NJ sales tax on EV purchase. That will lower the final purchase price of Model Y to $43~44K in NJ.

The average sales price of a new non-luxury mid-sized gasoline SUV is around 35~40K these days. (MSRP increase, lots of un-necessary addons, dealer 'market adjustment cost') After adding another ~$2,500 in NJ sales tax, and $500 (NJ avg) dealer documentation fee to that, the final sale price will be very close.

For those of us in the market of buying a new mid-sized SUV, Model Y does not belong to luxury-tier car pricing after all the tax rebates. You can no longer buy a brand new CRV or RAV4 with 30K OTD price like 2 years ago. Car manufacturers have stopped producing less-profitable trim of their vehicles and you will not be able to find the base model in stock anywhere.

Last edited by zkwu; 01-20-2023 at 03:46 PM..

Old 01-20-2023, 05:35 PM

19,072 posts, read 14,006,551 times
Quote:
I drive close to 30,000 miles annually. I posted my stats recently in the automotive forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I tried to post an actual picture of my trips screen but it's too large.

Last Trip: 13 miles, 294 wh/mi
I was having some fun.

Since last charge: 102 miles, 274 wh/m
I told you guys I drive a lot, that's my normal daily routine.

Total: 23,756 @ 285 wh/mi @ 6778 kWh

That's 23,756 miles in 11 months for all those "they're good around town cars, but that's it." lol

6778 kwh at my rate has cost me $949.

In my previous car, at an average 27mpg and of $3.00 gas, I'd have spent $2640. I haven't seen $3.00 gas in a long time. It was $3.29 this morning when I passed the gas station, and far above that for most of the time I've owned this car.

There's your real world experience line by line. The haters are blindly guessing. Always remember that.
Under $1000 to drive nearly 24,000 miles. This car will save me tons of money in the long run. Keep in mind 23,000 miles also means 3-5 oil changes.

All those miles mean many, many hours in my car every year. I'm not going to spend all that time in a base model car. I'd be in a $50,000 car either way. May as well make it one that costs me less than $11 to fuel.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-20-2023, 06:05 PM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkwu View Post
There $7500 Fed & $2000 State tax incentives, plus no NJ sales tax on EV purchase. That will lower the final purchase price of Model Y to $43~44K in NJ.

The average sales price of a new non-luxury mid-sized gasoline SUV is around 35~40K these days. (MSRP increase, lots of un-necessary addons, dealer 'market adjustment cost') After adding another ~$2,500 in NJ sales tax, and $500 (NJ avg) dealer documentation fee to that, the final sale price will be very close.

For those of us in the market of buying a new mid-sized SUV, Model Y does not belong to luxury-tier car pricing after all the tax rebates. You can no longer buy a brand new CRV or RAV4 with 30K OTD price like 2 years ago. Car manufacturers have stopped producing less-profitable trim of their vehicles and you will not be able to find the base model in stock anywhere.
Interesting. I knew car prices have jumped but I didn't know how badly.

I have never bought a new car and likely never will (old as I am, Dad's voice in my head still sez never buy a new car lol.)

In fact, the car I own now--a 2010 Toyota Corolla--I bought in 2012 with 27K miles on it. I hit 160K last week.

I sort of want to see if I can keep it going past 200k. It is not the most comfortable car, though. I bought it for gas mileage after Sandy when the train bridge over the Raritan washed out. A CRV is pretty much what I've had my eye on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey