Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 02:56 PM

451 posts, read 324,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I'm extremely well travelled, possibly more than anyone else in the forum. I've been in South America and Central America after a game and people are doing parades down empty city states, i've been inside a mall inside Egypt after a soccer match and watched people go crazy after a game. I've been to two soccer games in Europe, once in Monaco in 2019 and one in France back in 2016.

I see the passion and love for the fans of the games. Americans unfortunately don't have a passion, or love for the game like the rest of the world. I know people globally look forward to the event, and its such a shame that they took it away from them to New Jersey, a place where there are hardly any soccer fans.
You have no clue what you are talking about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 03:16 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,050,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
You keep saying this, but the numbers are showing soccer fans don't exist in significant numbers. 99% of the people in NJ couldn't even name an MLS team, and 99.9% couldn't even name two teams. Most people in NJ wouldn't even know who Cristiano Ronaldo is, who is supposed to be the most famous person in the world.

Old 02-08-2024, 03:36 PM

326 posts, read 67,746 times
Quote:

I see the passion and love for the fans of the games. Americans unfortunately don't have a passion, or love for the game like the rest of the world. I know people globally look forward to the event, and its such a shame that they took it away from them to New Jersey, a place where there are hardly any soccer fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post

If you lets me an opinion... I have no idea about New Jersey in particular, but I've been in USA and I come from one of the countries where football(soccer) is a real passion. There is not that kind of passion for soccer in Americans that exists in my country. Which can be a positive thing for my point of view. In my opinion, giving to soccer more importance than that has as sport is a mistake. In my country there are a lot of people like that, and they are able to spend what they don't have, leave their jobs, family, to go into debt, etc. to attend the national team's matches in a World Cup.

Old 02-08-2024, 04:52 PM

30,666 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Quote:
You keep saying this, but the numbers are showing soccer fans don't exist in significant numbers. 99% of the people in NJ couldn't even name an MLS team, and 99.9% couldn't even name two teams. Most people in NJ wouldn't even know who Cristiano Ronaldo is, who is supposed to be the most famous person in the world.
So are you going to continue to ignore that FIFA's 1994 World Cup is still, to date, the most attended FIFA World Cup tournament? And that there are almost 11 million MLS spectators in the U.S. each year? Note, the 1994 FIFA World Cup numbers are all the more significant as they predate MLS's creation by two years.

U.S. stadiums during 1994 were filled to 96% capacity, which includes Giants Stadium and shows that there was significant demand throughout the tournament and not just when the U.S. national team was playing: https://www.ussoccer.com/history/us-...%20World%20Cup.

In fact, the U.S. National Team NEVER played in NJ at Giant's Stadium (capacity 76,322) during the 1994 World Cup, yet the attendance numbers for games at the stadium during that tournament were 75,338; 74,624; 72,404; 76,322; 71,030; 72,000; and 74,110 respectively: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup

Old 02-08-2024, 05:35 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,694,841 times
Quote:
I'm extremely well travelled, possibly more than anyone else in the forum. I've been in South America and Central America after a game and people are doing parades down empty city states, i've been inside a mall inside Egypt after a soccer match and watched people go crazy after a game. I've been to two soccer games in Europe, once in Monaco in 2019 and one in France back in 2016.

In this case and about the World Cup , you're ignorant, you know little to nothing about the event. You mention the Jets sell more tickets.

The FIFIA World Cup is a Tournament, not a season . It's assigned to different place's each four years and it's done through a bidding process.

Watch and learn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENU7ExfCob0

Last edited by G1..; 02-08-2024 at 05:44 PM..

Old 02-08-2024, 05:59 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
I'm extremely well travelled, possibly more than anyone else in the forum. I've been in South America and Central America after a game and people are doing parades down empty city states, i've been inside a mall inside Egypt after a soccer match and watched people go crazy after a game. I've been to two soccer games in Europe, once in Monaco in 2019 and one in France back in 2016.fans.
Well, I am surprised, given your posting history, but I'll take your word for it. We never know who is on the other side of the screen here.

Quote:

It's true that Americans don't have the same love for futbol as do other countries, but so what? The point is that people ARE going to come here to see the games, especially the final, and it'a great thing for our state. Something to celebrate, not be down-mouthed and suspicious about.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM

326 posts, read 67,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

It's true that Americans don't have the same love for futbol as do other countries, but so what? The point is that people ARE going to come here to see the games, especially the final, and it'a great thing for our state. Something to celebrate, not be down-mouthed and suspicious about.
Filling stadiums is a good sign of interest.
But I don't think that's where the business is going to happen today. The number of on-site viewers is negligible compared to the amount that follows the game through TV all around the world.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:54 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
Filling stadiums is a good sign of interest.
But I don't think that's where the business is going to happen today. The number of on-site viewers is negligible compared to the amount that follows the game through TV all around the world.
Only the serious diehard fans and people in the industry will travel.

I think it's a great thing that the game can be watched around the world. It's something that brings people together all over the planet, even if only temporarily.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
You're the one ignoring the facts that I presented. You also act like MLS is a barometer of the interest of the sport in the USA. Again, you are out of your depth on this one and made a stupid thread out of a topic that actually could've fostered some good discussion.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
If you lets me an opinion... I have no idea about New Jersey in particular, but I've been in USA and I come from one of the countries where football(soccer) is a real passion. There is not that kind of passion for soccer in Americans that exists in my country. Which can be a positive thing for my point of view. In my opinion, giving to soccer more importance than that has as sport is a mistake. In my country there are a lot of people like that, and they are able to spend what they don't have, leave their jobs, family, to go into debt, etc. to attend the national team's matches in a World Cup.
Of course Argentina is a more passionate soccer country. However, you are forgetting just how big the United States is. There are more passionate soccer fans in the United States than in soccer mad countries like Holland, Portugal, Guatemala, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey