Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 09:16 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
Filling stadiums is a good sign of interest.
But I don't think that's where the business is going to happen today. The number of on-site viewers is negligible compared to the amount that follows the game through TV all around the world.
Pretty much. The World Cup is like the Olympics, people don't care about Curling but they will pack a stadium and the country will all become Curling fans for a few days only to be repeated again in 4 years.

People will come to watch the game, but it's not going be focused in one city or country. NJ is only getting 4% of the total games. You will have some die hards come in and some wealthy people when their country makes it to the championship.

They will come in have a Miller light at Applebee's in Time Square, stay a the Hilton in Manhattan and take NJ Transit back and forth. Some might do tax-free shopping at the outlets. Don't really see this as being a larger event than Taylor Swift coming to town for the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 09:39 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
We grew up on American Football not soccer but everyone I knew got heavily into the Cosmos super team with Pele and company. If you put a great product on the field people will come out.
Franz Beckenbauer died recently, and only then did I learn that he was on that Cosmos team as well (I've played/followed soccer my entire life, but at age 37, that Cosmos squad was before my time). What a team that must've been to witness. This year's Inter Miami squad, featuring Messi and Luis Suarez, will be the closest thing yet assembled in the MLS

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 02-09-2024 at 09:54 AM..

Old 02-09-2024, 09:43 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Your ignorant of the sport you pretend to know about. There are millions of Soccer/Futbol players in the US. Between children leagues, High school , College, pick up Men's and Women's indoor and outdoor leagues, the Men and Women's pro leagues and the USWT and Men's teams. Yes ,millions of Fans!
There's a 75-team men's soccer league in Buffalo. I played in it for 10 years. 75 teams x 18ish players per team = 1350ish league participants, in an area of around a million people that isn't particularly renowned for its soccer fervor

Premise of the OP is misguided

Old 02-09-2024, 01:40 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Don't really see this as being a larger event than Taylor Swift coming to town for the weekend.
LOL, you have no concept of the event, keep posting!

Old 02-09-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
There's a 75-team men's soccer league in Buffalo. I played in it for 10 years. 75 teams x 18ish players per team = 1350ish league participants, in an area of around a million people that isn't particularly renowned for its soccer fervor

Premise of the OP is misguided
Virginia is the same way. I grew up on and playing American football but all three of my girls played and that's were I fell in love with Soccer. All played for fun, one took it to a level I never imagined , she has three international CAPS, then an injury put an end to he career. To this day we all gather together wo Watch the World Cup no matter where it's playing and we did get to see the USWNT in 99 and we saw the games at Giants Stadium, which had higher seating for that match then any Giants or Jets Game including the 87 NFC Championship game.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:05 PM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
from the article:

Curious on how they get 1 million visitors when the stadium only holds 82k people for a 3 hour game.

If the Governor was smart, they would start taxing clothes. Foreigners love to shop for American clothes and all those transactions are tax-free and leaves the state to national and international corporations.
That would affect New Jerseyans much more than anyone else.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:10 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That would affect New Jerseyans much more than anyone else.
They should start by charging taxes at the outlets. There is literally zero value for the people of New Jersey. They pay minimum wage to some workers, the revenues/profits leave the state and NJ really gets nothing from it.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:51 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
You keep saying this, but the numbers are showing soccer fans don't exist in significant numbers. 99% of the people in NJ couldn't even name an MLS team, and 99.9% couldn't even name two teams. Most people in NJ wouldn't even know who Cristiano Ronaldo is, who is supposed to be the most famous person in the world.
He doesn't play for Manchester City so I don't care who he is.

Old 02-10-2024, 06:51 PM

268 posts, read 57,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
Of course Argentina is a more passionate soccer country. However, you are forgetting just how big the United States is. There are more passionate soccer fans in the United States than in soccer mad countries like Holland, Portugal, Guatemala, etc.
You seem to take being a passionate soccer fan as a positive, while I see it as a negative attitude. Getting into debt, not going to work, and even leaving their family to go to where the team plays, is in my opinion a stupid thing to do. Generally, those who have this attitude are people of little education and short-mindedness.
On the contrary, the lack of such people is indicative that the country has intelligent and educated people. I know that the U.S. is huge and that there are all kind of people. But I think that in general the level of education of its people is on average much better than what we have in Argentina.

Last edited by Luis Antonio; 02-10-2024 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-11-2024, 04:03 AM

Quote:
They should start by charging taxes at the outlets. There is literally zero value for the people of New Jersey. They pay minimum wage to some workers, the revenues/profits leave the state and NJ really gets nothing from it.
Not true, please link the facts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey