Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 42,948 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I am looking to move to Jersey City - and there seem to be so many areas all with different "vibes", etc. Of course I love the Waterfront area, but if I could afford that, I'd stay in Brooklyn where I currently live!

I have seen and heard mixed things about the Journal Square area of Jersey City concerning the safety.

If you could please give me a good "safe" vicinity or area to live within that area, I'd really, really appreciate it!

I don't need the neighborhood to be "cute" or "trendy". I'm a single female in my mid-twenties and I just wanna feel safe driving home or walking home from the PATH or LightRail at night or afternoon, etc.

Thank you again !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 06:07 PM

278 posts, read 1,186,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin728 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I am looking to move to Jersey City - and there seem to be so many areas all with different "vibes", etc. Of course I love the Waterfront area, but if I could afford that, I'd stay in Brooklyn where I currently live!

I have seen and heard mixed things about the Journal Square area of Jersey City concerning the safety.

If you could please give me a good "safe" vicinity or area to live within that area, I'd really, really appreciate it!

I don't need the neighborhood to be "cute" or "trendy". I'm a single female in my mid-twenties and I just wanna feel safe driving home or walking home from the PATH or LightRail at night or afternoon, etc.

Thank you again !!!
Why not just stay in Brooklyn? You can find some good deals in areas such as Bay Ridge.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:12 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,256 times
Depending on where she works, Journal Square is a much shorter commute to Manhattan than Bay Ridge.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:16 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,377 times
Hey Movin 728!
Welcome to the forum

There have been numerous threads on the area where you are looking. The search feature will give you the results that were recently discussed.

If you do not find answers after reading those threads, post a question, stating that you did a search and your question was not answered. I am very sure, there will be many people to help you.

Good luck and welcome to Jersey

~Shanny

Old 06-07-2008, 06:59 AM

4 posts, read 42,948 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice everyone!
And to hear it from the horse's mouth - the reason why I am not 100% about "just staying in Brooklyn" is that the price you pay for a small studio (I mean SMALL) in Brooklyn is what you pay for a nicer 1 bedroom in Jersey. And yes, some of my friends in Jerz have a much shorter commute than I do!

Old 06-07-2008, 09:25 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin728 View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone!
And to hear it from the horse's mouth - the reason why I am not 100% about "just staying in Brooklyn" is that the price you pay for a small studio (I mean SMALL) in Brooklyn is what you pay for a nicer 1 bedroom in Jersey. And yes, some of my friends in Jerz have a much shorter commute than I do!
We have at least one poster that LIVES in the JS area. His name is Lamminus(sp)

Old 06-07-2008, 01:28 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Thanks for the cue, Jersey Man.

I live in Journal Square. The neighborhood is, in a word, grimey, particularly in the immediate vicinity of the PATH station. It's an ok place to sleep and be close to the city without selling your first born to make the rent. If you're looking for the JERSEY CITY you hear all the yuppies in Manhattan chatting about these days, Journal Square ain't it.

The Pros:
Convenient as heck to the city via PATH
Affordable relative to Manhattan, BK, downtown JC, Hoboken, etc.
More space for your money
More detached single family and multi family houses. If having a small yard and parking space is important to you, you can find it here.
Good Indian food!

The Cons:
It's grimey. Trash and litter abound and most of the houses aren't all that pretty to look at.
Grocery shopping options are limited, and they all close really early (by 8PM).
Actually, everything closes early, except Rite Aid, VIP Diner, and NY Fried Chicken

Now the safety issue. Knowing that mentioning "Jersey City" and "safe" in the same sentence can start a war in this forum, I'll just say it's a good idea to be streetwise and aware of your surroundings at all times. If you come home late at night, it is dark. The stores are closed. There aren't many people around except for a few panhandlers at the PATH station. Walking home at night I've never been approached, threatened, or even looked at twice. I feel ok about taking a walk at night around the neighborhood. However, a shooting occurred 2 blocks away a few months ago, so you can't have any false sense of security.

The people who live here are mostly working families, including lots recent of immigrants from the Indian subcontinent and Latin America. A few young professionals are popping up here now after being priced out of downtown. I met a young woman in Lincoln Park who just bought a condo up here after being priced out of Hamilton Park. The Beacon, the thing across the street, the old bank on Mongomery St, a new building on Academy Street, and nearly every 12-unit boarding house in the area are being converted or developed into condos. If City Center happens, we'll have 64 storeys of condos next to the PATH station, which I find frightening.

I guess that's a full summary of my feelings on Journal Square. If you have some specific questions after doing some research on your own, let us know here or send me a DM. Good luck

Old 11-02-2008, 03:13 AM

19 posts, read 100,246 times
Hi all, I am confused and need help deciding where to live

I am planning to get married soon. I work as a Consultant travelling all over US and my fiance works in Manhattan, usually late hours.

I have a $1600 1BR (huge place, great view with private balcony, +$100 for parking, decent gym) in the Journal Square area (St. Pauls Avenue) and $1850 1BR (new but smaller place, no private balcony, awesome free amenities, inunit laundary, swimming pool, great gym, free shuttle to PATH, +$150 for parking).

I can save $$$ at J.Sq but I am concerned about my would be wife's safety as I might be out of town and she might have travelling late from the city. Is the J.Sq area safe (the walk from PATH to St. Pauls Ave)?

I own a car if that helps in getting me better advice.

Thanks....

Old 11-02-2008, 04:10 AM

19 posts, read 100,246 times
Also, just wanted to add that we are around 30 and my fiance isn't really keen to driving to and from the city, even though she might be travelling late from NYC (around 12AM), so safety during that time is very important to me

Old 05-17-2010, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 17,001 times
Hi, we are shifting to Jersey City from Boston as my husband got transferred to The NYC Office. We saw a house with secured entrance in Van Reypen Street, Jersey City. Its just 2 blocks away from the Journal square path station. The zip is 07306. Can anyone tell me how is the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey