Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:32 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I agree... I know alot as well. It seems to be the "self made" rich who are more down to earth than the one's born with the silver spoon in their mouths. I've also noticed that my pals who are self made are spoiling their kids and their kids seem to be turning into the next generation of wealthy snobs - having everything handed to them is a bad idea! If I had kids it wouldn't matter how much money I had, I would make them work and teach them to appreciate the value of a dollar!
EXCELLENT POST!

My father is self made (his Dad worked at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, then made a career change and worked in the coal mines of NEPA) and is probably one of the most down to Earth people I've ever come across. He drives his Dodge Ram, my step mom still tools around in her 92 Civic, and they both refuse to buy anything extremely fancy.

On my 15th birthday my Dad got me a few gifts and yes, an application to the local pizza joint where I worked until I was 18.

Here in unnecessarily snobby Hoboken, I see the spoiled brats in the BMW's and they don't have respect for themselves, let alone anyone else. How can you go through life thinking you are the best thing on Earth? Did Mommy and Daddy tell you there is nobody better and the world will stop if you aren't around?

I have more respect for the blue collar worker slugging it out daily to make a living than Blake and Trevor working on Wall Street acting like the world owes them a big thank you for allowing them their next breath. The latter is a useless bunch that ruins towns like Hoboken, Montclair, and Downtown JC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 06:48 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
EXCELLENT POST!

My father is self made (his Dad worked at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, then made a career change and worked in the coal mines of NEPA) and is probably one of the most down to Earth people I've ever come across. He drives his Dodge Ram, my step mom still tools around in her 92 Civic, and they both refuse to buy anything extremely fancy.

On my 15th birthday my Dad got me a few gifts and yes, an application to the local pizza joint where I worked until I was 18.

Here in unnecessarily snobby Hoboken, I see the spoiled brats in the BMW's and they don't have respect for themselves, let alone anyone else. How can you go through life thinking you are the best thing on Earth? Did Mommy and Daddy tell you there is nobody better and the world will stop if you aren't around?

I have more respect for the blue collar worker slugging it out daily to make a living than Blake and Trevor working on Wall Street acting like the world owes them a big thank you for allowing them their next breath. The latter is a useless bunch that ruins towns like Hoboken, Montclair, and Downtown JC.

that made me giggle.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:15 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
Quote:
LOL...well done T : ) But you'll let us know though..right? : ) It's funny...I asked my partner one time "if we won the lottery, what's the first thing you would do?"...her response - "I'd get the landscapers in". I was like..you wouldn't want to buy some huge mansion somewhere else? And she said no. It's interesting what people think off doing "if" they ever won the lottery. I'd buy a home on every continent...travel to each every couple of months. I'd also build a huge animal rescue center that way I could have as many cats as I wanted without being told I'll be getting the boot out the door if I bring anymore home : )))))
Then you'll be walking down the street (you know, on that rare occasion that you DO walk), and everyone will whisper "Oh! Look! There's that crazy rich cat lady!"

Last edited by EB2; 06-17-2008 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-17-2008, 07:20 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Then you'll be walking fown the street (you know, on that rare occasion that you DO walk), and everyone will whisper "Oh! Look! There's that crazy rich cat lady!"
Are you kidding they say that about her now lol!!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:29 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Then you'll be walking fown the street (you know, on that rare occasion that you DO walk), and everyone will whisper "Oh! Look! There's that crazy rich cat lady!"
Hey now..I do walk..sometimes : ) Actually, my neighbor laughs at me because I drive to their house when I go over to visit. It's far! 3 doors down... I'd need oxygen by the time I got there if I walked!! I've also been know to drive to the mailbox on occasion : ) Oh wait...I do walk... the cats that is. We take them for walks around the yard : ) I guess we are already deemed the crazy cat ladies. I can't help myself... once they give me those puss n boots eyes, I'm hooked!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:34 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
Quote:
Hey now..I do walk..sometimes : ) Actually, my neighbor laughs at me because I drive to their house when I go over to visit. It's far! 3 doors down... I'd need oxygen by the time I got there if I walked!! I've also been know to drive to the mailbox on occasion : ) Oh wait...I do walk... the cats that is. We take them for walks around the yard : ) I guess we are already deemed the crazy cat ladies. I can't help myself... once they give me those puss n boots eyes, I'm hooked!
LOL - I was only referring to if you became incredibly rich. MOST (not all, of course) don't seem to walk often. You know, they might get something on their 800.00 shoes, or have to share their precious air .

Gotta walk from your door to that car, anyway, right?

Old 06-17-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
LOL - I was only referring to if you became incredibly rich. MOST (not all, of course) don't seem to walk often. You know, they might get something on their 800.00 shoes, or have to share their precious air .

Gotta walk from your door to that car, anyway, right?
Oops..guess I confessed my lazyness to all too soon : )))) Even if I had millions, I would never spend 800 on a pair of shoes. Rich people can be so dumb at times... 800 bucks for a pair of shoes is just dumb! I would still shop at Walmart..well not for my shoes but other stuff : ) You may not remember but I'm sure a few in here will... we use to get our sneakers out of a huge wire bin at Shoprite when we were kids. Nike? Adidas? Shoprite runners was the norm in my neighborhood : )

Old 06-17-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Oops..guess I confessed my lazyness to all too soon : )))) Even if I had millions, I would never spend 800 on a pair of shoes. Rich people can be so dumb at times... 800 bucks for a pair of shoes is just dumb! I would still shop at Walmart..well not for my shoes but other stuff : ) You may not remember but I'm sure a few in here will... we use to get our sneakers out of a huge wire bin at Shoprite when we were kids. Nike? Adidas? Shoprite runners was the norm in my neighborhood : )
I remember getting shoes from the wired bin (like the ones they have for balls now) only it was at Food town, what a pain that was digging thru to find your size and a color you liked. and by the way I just got a pair of sandals from Walmart they are so comfortable....if they fall apart who cares they cost like $15

Old 06-17-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
I remember getting shoes from the wired bin (like the ones they have for balls now) only it was at Food town, what a pain that was digging thru to find your size and a color you liked. and by the way I just got a pair of sandals from Walmart they are so comfortable....if they fall apart who cares they cost like $15
I love Walmart!!! But not for shoes as cheap shoes make your feet stink... Unless I'm looking for those velcrow (sp?) sneakers for the old fellow. What a great invention for old men!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I love Walmart!!! But not for shoes as cheap shoes make your feet stink... Unless I'm looking for those velcrow (sp?) sneakers for the old fellow. What a great invention for old men!
LOL velcro I used to buy them for my son when he was in pre school, I only bought flip flops.......they only last a season anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey