Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 12,070 times

Advertisements

Are there any suburbs/towns in Essex or Union counties in NJ that have a South Asian community? We're looking for an area where our elementary school age kids wouldn't be the only ones (or only few) in the school. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 12:03 PM

646 posts, read 2,668,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoramic20 View Post
Are there any suburbs/towns in Essex or Union counties in NJ that have a South Asian community? We're looking for an area where our elementary school age kids wouldn't be the only ones (or only few) in the school. Thanks for sharing!
You could try Union City it's self

Old 06-22-2008, 02:20 PM

25 posts, read 93,945 times
Livingston in Essex county has a good size Asian population including those from the southern islands.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:18 AM

857 posts, read 2,002,220 times
well, then you should probably move to South Asia.

Don't take offense to that - it's just that your question sounds a bit conflicting. Imagine I was moving to Chennai, and my concern was that I didn't want my children to be the only white ones in their class. You would probably advise me that I might be looking in the wrong place.

Your kids will be just fine. This is America (and specifically the East coast, and more specifically; New Jersey) after all!

FYI - the strongest South Asian concentration in the state is in Edison

Old 06-23-2008, 08:29 AM

148 posts, read 639,342 times
JY_2007 sounds ridiculous and a bit ignorant. As the mother of a black son and 1/2 of an interracial couple it is extremely important to me that my son is not the only black child in his class. I think since joining this site any question i have posted stresses the importance of diversity to me. There are many nice places in new jersey where i never move b/c i am not interested in being the only black face or one out of 10. Im not sure where you can find a strong south asian community. I try and google an area and look at the make up of the place.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:04 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,062 times
none of the essex or union towns have huge south asian populations, but there are a few that have a moderate presence (i.e. enough that your family will not be the only ones in town).

in essex county, look into west orange (indians are the largest asian group in town, with good numbers of filipinos and chinese and a moderate korean presence) and livingston (chinese are the biggest asian group in town, but there are a solid number of indians, koreans, and some filipinos as well).

in union county, look into union township (filipinos are the largest asian group, but there is a good number of indians, too), scotch plains, and to a lesser extent, new providence.

also, check out wayne in passaic county - it's just north of northwestern essex county, and has a fairly sizeable indian population.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:25 PM

857 posts, read 2,002,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
JY_2007 sounds ridiculous and a bit ignorant. As the mother of a black son and 1/2 of an interracial couple it is extremely important to me that my son is not the only black child in his class. I think since joining this site any question i have posted stresses the importance of diversity to me. There are many nice places in new jersey where i never move b/c i am not interested in being the only black face or one out of 10. Im not sure where you can find a strong south asian community. I try and google an area and look at the make up of the place.
yes, being an interracial child with all-white classmates will undoubtedly have disastrous consequences:

(that's Barack Obama, btw)

The only way to achieve diversity is to see past color...

Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
yes, being an interracial child with all-white classmates will undoubtedly have disastrous consequences:

(that's Barack Obama, btw)

The only way to achieve diversity is to see past color...
I don't think we need to see "past" color, because the implication there is that some colors are better than others. We need to see past color prejudice, but we need to realize that every color is just as beautiful and worthy as the other.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:29 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
The school my children attend (Bloomfield) there are an average of 3 Asians in a class. Not alot, but certainly a presence. My neighborhood also has Asians as well as other races. It's very diverse.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:35 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
This may seem OT, but its not...

South Park, Season 4, "Chef Goes Nanners", highly recommended viewing material

Chef Goes Nanners - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey