Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 06:47 AM

145 posts, read 849,609 times

Advertisements

Nick, you have incorrect information.

I have lived in Sea bright for 10 years.
A 1132 sqft condo just rented for 1350 mo. in my complex.
All this can be verified online or through a local realtor.

Many people who live here, commute into the City.
Their companies pay for the Ferry service as part of their compensation,
package. This is not an unusual practice here.

And by the way, there is only 1 small complex in SB that even has a few "studios".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2006, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 52,670 times
Default commuting to ny

I live in Monmouth county and I commute about an hour per day each way to get to Manhattan. I do it by bus. You can check out the Trains and busses and see which one is closest to your desired location. The closer you are to Manhattan the more money it costs to rent/buy, but commuting is not cheap either. Average bus/train tickets per month are approaching the $300 mark. I pay $235 on the Academy bus line. Generally the trip is smooth, occassionally you get stuck at the Lincoln Tunnel.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:52 AM

562 posts, read 2,615,569 times
If you want a convenient location, 25 mins commute to nyc, Affordable rents, then you might want to look at Elizabeth.. Many young professionals are moving here.. Lots of people commuting to the city.. Multiple ways of commuting, njt trains, buses, and soon the ferry..

Old 05-30-2007, 08:58 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
If you want a convenient location, 25 mins commute to nyc, Affordable rents, then you might want to look at Elizabeth.. Many young professionals are moving here.. Lots of people commuting to the city.. Multiple ways of commuting, njt trains, buses, and soon the ferry..
sorry, I don't buy it, I cannot see anyone who would move into such a low income, urban area that has many problems associated with places like that. especially when you can go a few miles and find much better places to live.
Where's the rahway touter when you need him.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:09 AM

279 posts, read 1,348,204 times
I live in Bergen County and commute into Manhattan every day for the past 7 years. My commute time (by bus) takes me 40 minutes in the morning (I take the 7 am bus) and 50 minutes at night depending on what time I leave the city (usually around 6 pm). It's very doable from Bergen County.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 PM

I live in Elizabeth and my income is on the mid 90's, I did not know that was considered low income... Btw I too work in the city.. Rahway is better?? How?? It's right next to Elizabeth.. People like you (ignorant) should not post.. Be constructive when posting.. I'm sure you are familiar with the saying if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything... Just change the good to constructive!
Also, all my friends salaries are around the same range and they too live in Elizabeth.. We find it very convenient to commute into nyc and when we travel the airport is 5 mins away..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
sorry, I don't buy it, I cannot see anyone who would move into such a low income, urban area that has many problems associated with places like that. especially when you can go a few miles and find much better places to live.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:00 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,461,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
Sorry I'm Late Kort

Changes to Cheer About. Really. - New York Times

Old 06-02-2007, 06:31 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,461,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
I live in Elizabeth and my income is on the mid 90's, I did not know that was considered low income... Btw I too work in the city.. Rahway is better?? How?? It's right next to Elizabeth.. People like you (ignorant) should not post.. Be constructive when posting.. I'm sure you are familiar with the saying if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything... Just change the good to constructive!
Also, all my friends salaries are around the same range and they too live in Elizabeth.. We find it very convenient to commute into nyc and when we travel the airport is 5 mins away..

Jstar

Elizabeth like any other city in N.J has its good and bad area's
I do a lot of work up that way and got to see all area's of the city
and have never had a problem.

The difference between Rahway And Elizabeth is
you have about 100,000 more people

I just like Rahway Better beacuse coming from Brookly N.Y (I love Brooklyn)
which is what Elizabeth reminds me of
I needed more breathing space

One more thing
We don't want the people from Linden and Roselle getting mad
so we will mention those area's because they are in between Rahway and Elizabeth

Old 06-04-2007, 01:16 AM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,297,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gointojersey View Post
Just want to hear from people who are living in new jersey, but commute to Manhattan for their job. Is this doable? I'm relocating and considering this option. Any resources you can recommend for finding housing within a commutable distance of NYC? Realtor.com asks you for city/state, but I'm not sure which town I should type in.
Edison Hollow South may be one of the best places since thousands of residents in the area are IT professionals working at Wall St commute to NYC every day about 45 minute one way. And Edison is Top 10 safest town in the nation ...

When you search for realtor.com you can find zip code 08817 (near Edison Train Station), 08837 (near Metuchen Train Station) and 08820 (near Metropark Station) since Edison has 3 zip codes ... Hope this info helps.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:08 PM

Brian,
i'm glad you are aware of the difference on population and i'm sure you know that Elizabeth is also about 4 times bigger than Rahway, and as posted on the NYT Rahway is mostly single family homes.. versus Elizabeth that 3/4 of the city are 2 family homes.. it's mostly for "young" professionals moving to this area and being that I lived in Manhattan, i like the fact that i'm around people.. as you mentioned you like more breathing space which is why you like Rahway which is more suburb like.. an older population.. i'm in my late 20's and most my friends are in the same age range.. we like it here b/c of the convenience.. i'm glad that other towns around are progressing, in the long term this will benefit all surrounding towns.. yes Linden and Roselle are between Elizabeth and Rahway when traveling on St. George ave, when traveling on ELizabeth Ave (Linden) Rahway is only 1 town away.. all towns such as Linden, Roselle, Roselle Park, Hillside, Union, Rahway, Avenel, etc.. are less than 5 minutes away.. in matter of fact there are bus lines that connects all these towns together..

Another reason why I like it here is because I can live very comfortable with my salary.. anyone with a salary of 45k+ can live comfortable, Elizabeth is one of the towns where you can rent a large (1200sq/ft+) NEW 3 bedroom apt for approx $1500. with the convenience of 25mins commute to NYC..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Jstar

Elizabeth like any other city in N.J has its good and bad area's
I do a lot of work up that way and got to see all area's of the city
and have never had a problem.

The difference between Rahway And Elizabeth is
you have about 100,000 more people

I just like Rahway Better beacuse coming from Brookly N.Y (I love Brooklyn)
which is what Elizabeth reminds me of
I needed more breathing space

One more thing
We don't want the people from Linden and Roselle getting mad
so we will mention those area's because they are in between Rahway and Elizabeth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey