Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 PM

46 posts, read 153,243 times

Advertisements

Just found out the job the hubs is applying for in the NJ/NY area, loved his resume, so he has a 75% chance of getting the job!

That means a move from North Alabama.

The only other huge city I have lived close to was Denver, Co.

What am I in for?

Do Northern people take kindly to Southern people?

Luckily, I am well educated and do not have an awful Southern accent, and I talk very fast already!
Although, I am sure even the slightest twang will be heard!

Any advice, info..etc., etc., etc., would be great.
I am already up to my eyeballs reading tons of NJ/NY posts and threads.

Anyone know of any good horse stables in the Ringwood area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusCaballus View Post
Just found out the job the hubs is applying for in the NJ/NY area, loved his resume, so he has a 75% chance of getting the job!

That means a move from North Alabama.

The only other huge city I have lived close to was Denver, Co.

What am I in for?

Do Northern people take kindly to Southern people?

Luckily, I am well educated and do not have an awful Southern accent, and I talk very fast already!
Although, I am sure even the slightest twang will be heard!

Any advice, info..etc., etc., etc., would be great.
I am already up to my eyeballs reading tons of NJ/NY posts and threads.

Anyone know of any good horse stables in the Ringwood area?

Thanks!
No worries..we love southerners . I think your biggest shock will be the cost to live here. Ringwood? That's way up there no? Where is Hubby going to be working? Great stable by me..52 acres..40,000 sf indoor arena... I grew up in Ringwood and I don't remember seeing many stables out that way? But that was many, many moon ago!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:18 PM

120 posts, read 1,171,166 times
We accept people better than southern people. Us yankees are very nice people believe it or not. Plus, I know your married but the men here love girl with a southern accent. The cost of living is going to be the big shocker and the amount of people in one area, but there are beutiful towns and areas to live in. Also there are a lot of horse fram for NJ. So you should really have much of problem moving to NJ. I would stay On the east side of NY though.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
This is NJ...all are welcome. NJ is actually very diverse, you will have no problem with the natives.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:51 PM

The natives are friendly? Haha. Jk, reminded me of an old 50's film.
Well....I don't know if I'm allowed to jinx where he is working just yet, but it's located in NY, but we want to live in NJ. We found a house to lease and it's in Ringwood. I have a horse here and I need to bring her up.
Haha......goin' ter have to beat them thar Yankees off withter stick if I start hollerin' in my lil' 'ol suthern acceant! :P Heehee!

Yeah.....Southern people keep a wary eye out on anyone not from their parts. LOL.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusCaballus View Post
The natives are friendly? Haha. Jk, reminded me of an old 50's film.
Well....I don't know if I'm allowed to jinx where he is working just yet, but it's located in NY, but we want to live in NJ. We found a house to lease and it's in Ringwood. I have a horse here and I need to bring her up.
Haha......goin' ter have to beat them thar Yankees off withter stick if I start hollerin' in my lil' 'ol suthern acceant! :P Heehee!

Yeah.....Southern people keep a wary eye out on anyone not from their parts. LOL.
Hey Equus - Don't lose that Southern accent just yet. Since most of the migration is out of NJ, you'll be welcomed with open arms. You might be a "celebrity". Tell everyone you used to be a former "Dixie Chick" who quit before they became famous!

Old 07-29-2008, 04:35 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
That is so funny. It turned out the opposite for me. I always thought of southern hospitality. Living in a southern state I have not seen any yet. Not one person has even said one friendly word to me here. The friendly people are the Jersey people and anywhere else up North. Southerners are not friendly at all..they keep to themselves. Have been living here for over 3 years and only met one neighbor and they are not friendly. Neighbors on either side of me or on the block....funny.....never met....they all keep to themselves. Wierd!
So to the Southern gal moving to New Jersey....you will love the people there...very friendly!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:14 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,355 times
I'll give you a few tips:

If you love country music and can't live without it, get satellite radio. The local area doesn't have a lot of high powered country radio stations. There's a few on the shore, but the signals are weak.

My wife is from Ringwood; she says that there are stables in West Milford and across the border in Orange County, New York.

There are no Waffle Houses up here. Instead, we have diners.

We don't have a Crimson Tide; instead we have Scarlet Knights.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 AM

To TheEmissary:
Dixie Chick huh? I sometimes wonder if I can sing better than they do! JK! Maybe in the shower!
No my accent is here to stay.....my Cali friend can call it out, but I don't s..p....e..a..k..s..o...s..l....o...w....that you look at me like I am crazy. I have heard of that happening before! Yikes. I actually talk too fast for most people in these parts and I think I can give those people in the stock broker market a run for their money, so to speak. Which that brings to mind county auctions....with the auctioneer talking a mile a minute! LOL!! Which I have never been to! I swear!

To Blondie621: You live in Florida right?
Well......we true Southerners don't treat Florida as part of the South. It should be ripped from Sweet Dixie and planted some where else. Floridians aren't very nice. I agree with you there! Many of them are what we call "Snow Birds". Meaning they aren't true Southerns and migrate with the winter/summer season and some just ended up retiring and staying there. So I bet half those "not so nice" people came from some where up North. Hard to think about, huh?

To SweepTheLeg:
I can do without country music! I am a rock and classical music fan. I am also a lover of the opera and ballet. I am out of my element living here (I'm not a "true" Southerner. I love ballet, jazz, art, and the opera. GASP!) Not all Southerners go for Country...that's a myth. Haha. Many like rock!
Funny you mentioned Waffle Houses (retch). I LOVE diners!
And I can't stand college football! But I do love pro.
I will be one state closer to Eli! I love the Mannings! Of course the Colts over the Giants any day.....but you know.
I also like the Mets (shhh you Yankee fans.)

I am a small town girl though.....but I can see the appeal of the big city. I may have chronic neck and foot pain for the first year or so from looking up and walking on all that pavement, but as long as I get to visit the country and ride my horse enough, I think I can manage.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
What are you in for?? Hmmmmm...lemme think.......

- Ridiculous real estate prices
- Even more ridiculous property taxes
- Winter (ain't seen one of those in Alabammy, have ya??)
- Crazy car insurance rates
- Political corruption that's second to none

But they've got good pizza and bagels! Hope your hubby is getting a HUGE salary increase.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey