Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:18 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
This poster asked about Newark. Newark is not "just like JC" in many ways. That doesn't mean everyone should write it off but the person clearly had issues with going there (even just for school) so it might not be the right choice for him. I have walked all over JC. Trust me- I would never do that in Newark- even in daylight hours. Weapons of Mass Destruction have nothing to do with it. The decent areas I have been in but I had no desire to live there. Call it writing off or whatever you wish. It's not something I would judge someone on. That makes no sense.

I think it's a matter of preference. Personally, I have never walked all over JC (just my unfamiliarity with it I could just as easily land in the wrong hood) but I have walked all over Newark (even during daylight hours. I personally know where to stay away. I don't have that advantage in JC).
But it is without question not for everyone. Hell, for all I know most would prefer JC anyway

As far as the OP...well this thread is so far gone lol

Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
If you walked all over- I seriously doubt you avoided much of anything. When I say all over I literally mean one end to the other. Familiarity is not what I was speaking about.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
If you walked all over- I seriously doubt you avoided much of anything. When I say all over I literally mean one end to the other.
Again, never walked all over JC. I just don't cover a city end to end like that (through bad areas or not). I'm simply going to have to take your word for it

Old 10-22-2007, 02:26 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
You don't need eyes in the back of your head to walk around most places in general. Familiarity is a different thing. If you are familiar with Newark there are still many areas you would avoid. That is not the case with Hoboken or JC. Telling people they should not live in fear is something a preacher would say. Not something to tell someone who legitametly wants advice on an area. People on here do tend to advise staying out of all urban areas but this is city-data and at this point it does not surprise me. To get from that to the idea that everyone is just "living in fear"(and they are not legit so you must ignore) is a little much.

Most adults can read between the lines and make up their own mind. They wont get all their info from an internet forum. There is a very obvious anti-urban bias on city-data on all the northeastern state forums. Anyone who starts their thread with "I can't do a visit first- I just have to relocate to NJ blind" and I need to depend on you guys is probably a troll.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:53 AM

531 posts, read 2,150,267 times
Quote:
There is a very obvious anti-urban bias on city-data on all the northeastern state forums.
Could it be because affordable urban areas in NJ tend to resemble warzones? In the "nice" urban areas in this region, you gotta room with 4 other people and live in a tiny box.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
You don't need eyes in the back of your head to walk around most places in general. Familiarity is a different thing. If you are familiar with Newark there are still many areas you would avoid. That is not the case with Hoboken or JC.
Familiarity isn't different at all. I don't know JC like that, but I do know there are areas to avoid. Some people maintain that the only area in JC that's good is the waterfront, others say it's certain sections, you say that it's ultimately not bad...I'm saying that I wouldn't know either way b/c I'm unfamiliar with place.
And of course people's perception is the final judge when determining their feelings toward a place/city

Old 10-24-2007, 11:34 AM
DAT

26 posts, read 137,464 times
Quote:
.....LoL.....
We have something worth laughing about. I am sure someone is laughing at you right now.

Sorry you thought the violent death of an innocent man in an "safe nieghborhood" was funny.

Maybe you live with the kind of people this poor soul had to confront in your "safe nieghborhood".

Old 11-07-2007, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,370 times
Thumbs up My opinion about Newark:

Newark, New Jersey like every where else has its good and bad. There are many worth living in neighborhoods. The thing with newark is that once something goes wrong and the media finds out about it, then the media begins to dig for anything negative that it could find. I can imagine how many other cities are not being tracked by the media, and all its crimes remain a secret. Example, So and so got killed in Newark. (Media) "Lets see what else happens today or tomorrow" The Media becomes sort of a stalker, and begins to publicize any dirt it can dig up. They should do that with all cities, and I bet you would be surprise the crazy things that are going on.

Anyway, yes there are lots of crimes going on here and there. I do believe that people should take into consideration that Newark is a huge City. Why don't they actually specify the parts of the neigborhood that these things are going on, instead of just saying Newark. The City has its sections, they should point out those parts. There lots of parts of Newark that are really nice and decent to live in. The School System isn't the greatest, but for kids who have high grades, they can always qualify for real good schools. For example, schools like Arts High and Science High which are great schools. The part where am from is not exactly one of the nicest parts I'm mentioning, but it is not a real bad neighborhood. There are a few rotten apples like in so many other places. You know rotten apples tend to want to damage the good ones. I believe is a matter of knowing who to socialize with. Make sure you know who you bring to your home or even who is your next door neighbor. Most importantly do track who are your kids friends. Makes sure you know who they hang out with. Don't let your kids sleep over nobody's house, no matter how nice you think the friends might be. Your kids are safer by your side, like that you definately know what's goin on at all times. There might be times that they might have to go to the library or even to do homework at their friend's house, well have them do it at your home. Another way to know where your kids are at all times are some prepay cell phones. Some people don't like their kids to have cell phone, but they do help a lot when it comes to keeping them more safe. You can also take them to the Library and pick them up. There is no need to be hanging out in the streets late nights. Stay at home and just be aware of your surroundings at all times. Good luck!

Last edited by Nwkldy; 11-07-2007 at 08:57 AM..

Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwkldy View Post
Newark like every where else has its good and bad.

no it's not like everywhere else, not too many places have to deal with the plethora of serious social and economic issues there and all the people promoting newark have to realize that these issues won't be fixed by a new hockey arena or the PAC

Old 11-08-2007, 10:24 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
no it's not like everywhere else, not too many places have to deal with the plethora of serious social and economic issues there and all the people promoting newark have to realize that these issues won't be fixed by a new hockey arena or the PAC
You're a wide ranging hater..LOL!!!!!!!!!TROLLLLL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey